Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello,

Inspired by https://www.astrobiscuit.com/, which advocates astrophotography on a budget, I purchased a SVBONY SV305 camera. Despite the positive posts on the web (also on stargazerslounge), I can't manage to get any decent image. As capture software I use AstroDMX, to only option I have since I'm running Linux Debian. But which I doubt being the problem. Here's what I tried to no avail:

• SVBONY SV20 80mmx400mm refractor:
    • target Venus
    • SV305 camera settings:
      • format: raw 16-bit
      • resolution: 1920x1080
      • output format: SER
      • color mode: raw
      • not debayered
      • gain: 24 %
      • gamma: 10 %
      • contrast: 50 %
      • 50 frames saved at 9.91277 frames/sec
    • Result: a tiny light blob, where with some goodwill one could see a crescent, but not sharp at all
  • Meade 15cm Newton reflector:
    • target: M82
    • SV305 camera settings:
      • format: RGB24
      • resolution: 1920x1080
      • output format: TIFF
      • exposure: 30 sec/ frame
      • number of frames: 50
      • gain: 70 %
      • gamma: 10 %
      • contrast: 50 %
      • saturation: 58 %
    • Result: in the life view, the galaxy was a white light bulb, with some red (noise?) around it, some stars, on an extremely noisy reddish background; I did take some darks, flats and bias frames, but the stacked result (I used siril) was ridiculous - but for that I blame myself
  • SVBONY SV20 80mmx400mm refractor:
    • target: Moon (1st quarter) - I did not capture any thing, as the life result was nothing but a hazy white light blob; nothing but white light, where one could see that it was a round shaped object
    • SV305 camera settings:
      • format: tried raw 8-mono, raw 8, raw 16 and rgb24
      • exposure: tried anything between 10ms and 25ms
      • gain: anything between 4% and 10%
      • the rest I don't remember, I was too disappointed
      • result: I have now a dust bulb on the censor ...

I live in a very lightpolluted area (see uploaded image).

My final question is, is this camera broken or is it me that is utterly stupid?

Any help, greatly appreciated!

greetings,

AstroRookie

lightpoll.png

Edited by AstroRookie

3 hours ago, JamesF said:

Perhaps start by attempting to image a distant target during the day and see how that works out?

James

Thanks, James. that's exactly what I'm doing now, and the camera works fine ...

AstroRookie

Edited by AstroRookie

The SV305 works remarkably well. I suspect you have a focus issue.

I could barely focus in far enough for the camera to work on my Meade 114mm ƒ/4 newt; it was right up against the focuser stop. And I had to buy a shorty C-mount tube to use it with a filter.

As others have suggested, try focusing on something during the day.

Here are the settings I used for the attached image of M42. Video below the nebula (click arrow to star, opening fames are black) was the same but using .AVI output.

[SVBONY SV305]
Output Format=FITS files (*.fits)
Colour Space=RGB24
Capture Area=1920x1080
Pan=0
Tilt=0
Black Level=251
USB Speed=1
Frame Rate Limit=Maximum
Gain=20.4
Exposure=1
Timestamp Frames=Off
White Bal (B)=400
White Bal (G)=400
White Bal ®=400
Sharpness=100
Saturation=51
Gamma=1.08
Contrast=93
Banding Threshold=35
Banding Suppression=0
Apply Flat=None
Subtract Dark=None
#Black Point
Display Black Point=0.19140625
#MidTone Point
Display MidTone Point=0.515625
#White Point
Display White Point=0.83984375
TimeStamp=2020-03-22T05:12:11.2721327Z
SharpCapVersion=3.2.6248.0
TotalExposure(s)=790
StackedFrames=790

M42Y+LR.jpeg

Edited by Tailspin45
  • Like 3

I use a SVBONY 305 and get reasonable results.  I have found using as little GAIN as possible and controlling the light collection with exposure works best.  I typically shoot 100 subs RGB24 @ 1080p (1900 x 1080) as .tif and stack with Siril and finish with GIMP.   Given my Dobsonian GOTO mount, I try to keem my exposures under 12 seconds and gain at 1-2% maximum for deep sky objects.  Bright objects, much less than that.  Here are a couple from this past weekend:

Note: I didn't integrate darks or bias shots in either of these.  The moon was up and really bright, so I really didn't think I could get anything but noise on the deep sky stuff.  Getting used to the fairly delicate balance of Black Level, Contrast and Gain in AstroDMx_Capture takes a bit of practice.  For simplicity sake, I connect the camera, change USB speed to 2 in the Camera Setup menu, then CLOSE that menu, go down to the Control Display Controls menu and use the slider to set display speed to maximum, then CLOSE that menu too.  Messing with those controls doesn't impact the image, but does impact your judgement...best without them in the beginning.  You can also CLOSE Controls MISC.  It makes the controls you actually use available without scrolling.

M3-Globular-Cluster-05-02-2020.png

Moon-5-1-2020.png

Edited by JonCarleton

19 hours ago, Tailspin45 said:

The SV305 works remarkably well. I suspect you have a focus issue.

I could barely focus in far enough for the camera to work on my Meade 114mm ƒ/4 newt; it was right up against the focuser stop. And I had to buy a shorty C-mount tube to use it with a filter.

As others have suggested, try focusing on something during the day.

Here are the settings I used for the attached image of M42. Video below the nebula (click arrow to star, opening fames are black) was the same but using .AVI output.

[SVBONY SV305]
Output Format=FITS files (*.fits)
Colour Space=RGB24
Capture Area=1920x1080
Pan=0
Tilt=0
Black Level=251
USB Speed=1
Frame Rate Limit=Maximum
Gain=20.4
Exposure=1
Timestamp Frames=Off
White Bal (B)=400
White Bal (G)=400
White Bal ®=400
Sharpness=100
Saturation=51
Gamma=1.08
Contrast=93
Banding Threshold=35
Banding Suppression=0
Apply Flat=None
Subtract Dark=None
#Black Point
Display Black Point=0.19140625
#MidTone Point
Display MidTone Point=0.515625
#White Point
Display White Point=0.83984375
TimeStamp=2020-03-22T05:12:11.2721327Z
SharpCapVersion=3.2.6248.0
TotalExposure(s)=790
StackedFrames=790

M42Y+LR.jpeg

Thanks, for the info. I'll try to "translate" these Sharpcap settings to AstroDmx next time.

16 hours ago, JonCarleton said:

I use a SVBONY 305 and get reasonable results.  I have found using as little GAIN as possible and controlling the light collection with exposure works best.  I typically shoot 100 subs RGB24 @ 1080p (1900 x 1080) as .tif and stack with Siril and finish with GIMP.   Given my Dobsonian GOTO mount, I try to keem my exposures under 12 seconds and gain at 1-2% maximum for deep sky objects.  Bright objects, much less than that.  Here are a couple from this past weekend:

Note: I didn't integrate darks or bias shots in either of these.  The moon was up and really bright, so I really didn't think I could get anything but noise on the deep sky stuff.  Getting used to the fairly delicate balance of Black Level, Contrast and Gain in AstroDMx_Capture takes a bit of practice.  For simplicity sake, I connect the camera, change USB speed to 2 in the Camera Setup menu, then CLOSE that menu, go down to the Control Display Controls menu and use the slider to set display speed to maximum, then CLOSE that menu too.  Messing with those controls doesn't impact the image, but does impact your judgement...best without them in the beginning.  You can also CLOSE Controls MISC.  It makes the controls you actually use available without scrolling.

Moon-5-1-2020.png

16 hours ago, JonCarleton said:

Moon-5-1-2020.png

Thanks, I'll give it a try next time; will probably not be this week tough

Good luck!  If you need a screenshot of my settings in AstroDMx_Capture, let me know.  I'll post one if ever we get another night without clouds.

There is a new version of AstroDMx_Capture coming out in about a week (Mid-May 2020).

Great thread and as a new owner of the SV305 the images here give me great hope. 

I've managed to get some very good shots with my Skymax MAK127 with the SV305 but I yesterday received a Evostar Ed72 and as hinted above couldn't reach focus on the moon with the camera so I have today ordered a 2" extension hoping to resolve this. 

Like the OP I'm new to it all and playing with the settings during the day on a distant object gave me a better idea of what to do come dark skies. 

I have also ordered a Raspberry PI4 which I hope I may be able to use the SV305 time will tell, I see various options available Stellarmate, EKOS, Indigo Sky etc

Keep at it and I'll update with any feedback which may help

Clear skies

2 hours ago, Whytey said:

Great thread and as a new owner of the SV305 the images here give me great hope. 

I've managed to get some very good shots with my Skymax MAK127 with the SV305 but I yesterday received a Evostar Ed72 and as hinted above couldn't reach focus on the moon with the camera so I have today ordered a 2" extension hoping to resolve this. 

Like the OP I'm new to it all and playing with the settings during the day on a distant object gave me a better idea of what to do come dark skies. 

I have also ordered a Raspberry PI4 which I hope I may be able to use the SV305 time will tell, I see various options available Stellarmate, EKOS, Indigo Sky etc

Clear skies

Hello Whytey,

fyi, I installed AstroDMX on a raspberry pi3, but I needed first to upgrade to raspbian "buster" and then it detects the SV305, but didn't do any capturing with it.

AstroRookie

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Whytey said:

Clear skies

I use a RPi4b and it works well with AstroDMx_Capture.  You are pretty much stuck with that, as the SVBONY 305 does not support V4L yet.  I know that both SVBONY and AstroDMx_Capture are working to improve compatibility with eyes toward INDI and V4L, each of which would be a help.  Meanwhile, the current version of AstroDMx_Capture does a pretty good job once you get used to the settings.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bruce Leeroy said:

Providing you have a barlow with a removeable lens you can use it to extend your camera sensor distance.

Thanks I hadn't thought of that, I'll take a look now. Nice tip 👍

• Like 1

On 06/05/2020 at 23:11, JonCarleton said:

I use a RPi4b and it works well with AstroDMx_Capture.  You are pretty much stuck with that, as the SVBONY 305 does not support V4L yet.  I know that both SVBONY and AstroDMx_Capture are working to improve compatibility with eyes toward INDI and V4L, each of which would be a help.  Meanwhile, the current version of AstroDMx_Capture does a pretty good job once you get used to the settings.

Good to hear there is others using it @JonCarleton what build of Ubuntu are you using? Im using 18.0.4.4 from here manually installed AstroDMx (as i couldnt seem to get the .deb or .rpm working so did it using terminal - this could well be me as new to Linux) I have it showing in the menus but when I launch it I see it briefly open but doesnt launch. Tried logoff/reboot no luck!

I just upgraded to 20.04 LTS ubuntu on all my systems, but I was happy with 18.0.4.x.  

Hmm...there was a bug related to a version of libstdc++.so.6 as supplied with the install having been updated by the Mesa in the OS and not being compatible.  The fix was to move the original library file out of the way, letting it find the system-supplied file.  Try this:

cd /usr/local/AstroDMx_Capture/lib

sudo mkdir backup

sudo mv libstdc++.so.6 backup

You'll have to provide your login password for the first sudo line.

You would have had the same issue with the .deb file.  Don't mess with .rpm files in Ubuntu, they aren't really compatible.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @JonCarleton I tried but unfortunately still the same, I am just in the process of installing 20.04 with xubuntu desktop so I will see how I get on with that.
I had originally planned on Stellarmate until I realised I hadnt checked to see if my hardware was supported!!.. Doh

Let me know if you have any issues.  I have a fair handle on Linux (since the 1990's) and communicate with SVBONY and AstroDMx_Capture periodically.

You do have libstc++6 installed, yes?  (check by trying to install it:  sudo apt install libstdc++6)

I'm fairly happy with AstroDMx_Capture..as a stand-alone, but I want more integration with INDI so I can use it for AutoFocus and plate solving.

Edited by JonCarleton
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, JonCarleton said:

Let me know if you have any issues.  I have a fair handle on Linux (since the 1990's) and communicate with SVBONY and AstroDMx_Capture periodically.

You do have libstc++6 installed, yes?  (check by trying to install it:  sudo apt install libstc++6)

I'm fairly happy with AstroDMx_Capture..as a stand-alone, but I want more integration with INDI so I can use it for AutoFocus and plate solving.

Hi @JonCarleton Thanks for the help really appreciated, Just checking do you mean "libstdc++6" or is there a "libstc++6" also? 

1 minute ago, JonCarleton said:

Typo.....suould be libstdc++6  stands for Standard C++ library version 6

Thanks I assumed as much but wanted to be sure, Yes I have libstdc++6 install still fails to start on 20.04 sadly wont start I'll try a few other bits, Thanks again

Try running the launcher from a terminal so you can see the errors:

/usr/local/AstroDMx_Capture/bin/launcher.sh

There is also a DEBUG launcher...but all it does is take the terminal output and dump it into a file.

Edited by JonCarleton

When I did install I couldnt run the ./astrodmx_capture -D2 command (Which i believe relates to the debug side?)
launcher.sh line 4 ./astrodmx_capture cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

This is my first real go with Linux so its very likely me!

line 4 within the launcher.sh reads ./astrodmx_capture

Edited by Whytey
added info

That sounds like a possible issue with multiple install attempts.  And yes, that is one way to do the debug.  Here is what my "ls -l" of the bin folder says:

total 19772
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 20167992 Feb  1 15:58 astrodmx_capture
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    18584 Feb  1 15:59 fxload
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root      211 Jun 27  2019 launcher_debug.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root       81 Jun 27  2019 launcher.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    48688 Feb  1 15:59 uvcdynctrl

run ls -l /usr/local/AstroDMx_Capture/bin and see if yours differs.  Take special care to notice the permissions (-rwrx-xr-x) and file size of the astrodmx_capture executable file.  If they don't match mine, that could be an issue.  You may have grabbed the wrong install file.

try "cat /usr/local/AstroDMx_Capture/bin/launcher.sh" and you will see that line 4 is simply asking to run the astrodmx_capture file.

I just flipped back over to the 18.0.4.4 SD card and tried and its same which makes me think Ive done something wrong somehwere.

In regards to the file and permissions yes they match except for file sizes, the ones that differ are:-

uvcdynctrl - 57032
fxload - 22680

I am using version 0.68.1 I will try an older version next