SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M13 - not again

Mike JW

I was out there after midnight and synced the scope to M13 before heading off to VV galaxies in Hercules. May well post the VV shots later.

So here is M13 - yet again - just one 5 second sub, using the 15" Dob. Any longer or doing stacks ruined the shot.

Mike

M_13.HERCULES_2020.5.3_00_32_04.thumb.png.23a62c216c1cd69b463b7f7b6b64d39a.png

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Bill S said:

As you (and others) say M13 is an object to looked at, studied and thought about.

Even with a smaller scope (8”) from a London sky M13 is a favourite- appearing like a neb at first sight but the more you look the more the individual stars pop out. One to spend some time on and savour 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike

I was testing the new version of Jocular last night and started with M13  to check alignment since it was close.

Here's a 5-second sub with the Lodestar. It really is a wonderful cluster and longer stacks don't seem to add anything (at least in mono), perhaps because the display is so full of stars that one doesn't notice the slightly noisier background. This is with log stretch which I tend to use for the bright globs. Nothing gets close to the view in a large Dob though!

58165208_Messier1317May20_22_39_40.png.4104c763bb1b31788fed3840f8a98d25.png

I may reload this and look again with different stretches as I think log leaves it looking rather 'flat' whereas yours is closer to the visual appearance with the bright stars looking somehow punchier.

Martin

Edited by Martin Meredith
  • Like 2

Hi Martin

Agree that short sub is best for globulars, especially bright ones. I suspect my black background adds to the 3D effect. Also my shot was done using the 15" so I will get a brighter image easily. I have a pile of globular shots to deal with next, some in SLL and some in Jocular so I too plan to experiment with settings in Jocular.

Have fun,

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Got my first ever view of M13 last night.  After over a week of cloud cover we finally had a clear night and so I set out to try and view some DSOs.  It was truly a site to behold. As a newbie, with my modest 130p and just a smartphone for any kind of imaging,  I was chuffed to bits when I saw it. What a site!

• Like 2