Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New to imaging during lockdown

Hi All at WADAS, I,m Steve from Castleford. I started visual last year and after being generally disappointed turned to imaging early this year, motivated by Astro Back Yard on you  tube, I already had a Canon 1100d doing nothing , bought a HQ5 goto and started learning the hard way!, alone! due to lockdown.  Anyway my original plan was just to take the scope camping as we have a camper van (great), we dont have a back yard(not great) . So my main issue is finding places to take the van to image away from light polution. Can anyone help? Ive found some info online like Sutton Bank Car park but as we know other people have strange hobbies! Anyone have any info or experience imaging away from home please?

• Like 1

Hi Steve, the site here is not used as much since WADAS started a Facebook Group.

There are places in & around Sutton Bank we have used that are not frequented by the funny crowd !!,  due to the light nights the group is not very active again until mid/late August when the sky starts getting darker, I myself cannot advice you on Deep sky Photography as i do EAA (Deep Sky Video imaging), but quite a few WADAS members do use DSLR cameras for their imaging.

There is a small camp site we have used at Scawton about 10-15mins on from Sutton Bank called Bungdale Head Farm YO7 2HH.

Hopefully another member may be of further use to with using your DSLAR.

regards

eric

Welcome to Wadas Steve

I see Eric has replied already and gave you the heads up on the FB group. 

I use sutton bank more than any other site now and when the season kicks off again in late August I will probably head that way.

A nice combination could be a star party. There are various advertised on here but in the current situation we can only hope some will go ahead. People are generally friendly and helpful with some really knowledgeable people in the hobby.

I'm visual so cannot really help with imaging but a lot in the society are so please hop over to FB if you don't get a response here and pose any questions you may have.

Damian 

Hi thanks Damian and Eric. I'm not very good with facebook but I've found the group.. Was hoping to be able to chat to members but I'll look out for meets. Will Google video imaging too. I want to buy an A ZWO camera as an upgrade from my webcam to do lunar and planetary imaging and also use for guiding.. Any advice please? Being new I might be best avoiding the extra hassle n cost of mono and filters? Anyone any idea? 

Steve, as with everything else regarding Astro equipment its a case of what your budget can run to.

ZWO are a good choice for both Planetary & Deep Space imaging, ideally if you can afford it they do have One Shot Colour Cameras that also can image Deep Sky also, bear in mind that the Major Planets are not good for viewing at the moment and will be quite a while before they are high enough in the night sky.

There is a forum on here for Video imaging and also on Cloudy Nights which is another good site to join.

regards

eric

ps Private message me anytime and I will explain a set up i use