Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SCTs are made of gold?

Isn't it a time to rant again :) I was just looking for scopes and saw same issue, why o why is SCT so expensive. I prefer it over a mak due to weight and imaging potential. 

Also got me wandering around, why is celestron only one producing cheap STCs? Patent limitations? Deal in company? You can find ton of MAKs, EDs not to mention newton's but STCs are like celestron exclusive. Any reason for that? Or I am missing something? 

• Like 1

On 06/05/2020 at 17:06, RobertI said:

Just did some UK/US price comparisons, and interestingly in the US, Maks are more expensive than their SCT equivalents, in the UK the reverse seems to be true.  Not quite sure what conclusions to draw (it's late!). -_-

• Celestron C8 - £1067 in UK, $999 in US
  • SW MAK 180 - £805 in UK, $1200 in US
  • Celestron C6 - £649 in UK, $599 in US
  • SW MAK 150 - £485 in UK, $750 in US

A bit late to reread this post, but did you remember to subtract VAT from the UK prices before comparing them to US prices?  As I've repeated many times, US sales tax varies from state to state, county to county, and city to city.  As a result, it cannot be included in the listed sales price online.

I have no idea how local governments collect their VAT.  Do they get a fixed cut of the national VAT on every sale?

11 hours ago, Vulisha said:

Isn't it a time to rant again :) I was just looking for scopes and saw same issue, why o why is SCT so expensive. I prefer it over a mak due to weight and imaging potential. 

Also got me wandering around, why is celestron only one producing cheap STCs? Patent limitations? Deal in company? You can find ton of MAKs, EDs not to mention newton's but STCs are like celestron exclusive. Any reason for that? Or I am missing something? 

I believe Celestron pioneered the mass production of the Schmidt corrector plate and still hold the patent for the method.

Other companies probably decided it's not worth investing in new R&D for SCTs when the market is already so dominated by Celestron.

I would guess that the SCT line-up is  Celestron's major revenue source and they are milking it for all it's worth.

The new affordable Classic Cassegrains  and RCs coming from Taiwan will give them some further competition though. 

Edited by Nik271
typos
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Louis D said:

A bit late to reread this post, but did you remember to subtract VAT from the UK prices before comparing them to US prices?  As I've repeated many times, US sales tax varies from state to state, county to county, and city to city.  As a result, it cannot be included in the listed sales price online.

I have no idea how local governments collect their VAT.  Do they get a fixed cut of the national VAT on every sale?

Hi Louis, the point of the comparison was to show that in the US, Maks are considerably more expensive than SCTs, and in the UK the reverse is true. The relative prices between UK and US was not the point of the comparison, but I've noted your point for future reference! 

• Like 1

Just read this thread and an interesting rant from Vlaiv and then picked up.

These types of scope intrigue me for all the reasons known, especially the more compact package and therefore easier to find a store space for. 

For me space is an issue, I live in a decent sized house, but storage space is very limited and does dictate where things can live.
My 10” Dobson is a case in point, always moved about as it needs somewhere to live.

A SCT or Mak or CC could nearly live in my sock drawer, yes I have a big sock drawer 😂

Edited by Alan White
  • Haha 3

On 06/05/2020 at 23:06, RobertI said:

Just did some UK/US price comparisons, and interestingly in the US, Maks are more expensive than their SCT equivalents, in the UK the reverse seems to be true.  Not quite sure what conclusions to draw (it's late!). -_-

• Celestron C8 - £1067 in UK, $999 in US
  • SW MAK 180 - £805 in UK, $1200 in US
  • Celestron C6 - £649 in UK, $599 in US
  • SW MAK 150 - £485 in UK, $750 in US

I've done a quick check and the above pattern still seems to hold true, so it seems in the US that SCTs are cheaper than Maks and in the UK the reverse is true. I'm guessing this is the result of different marketing strategies by Synta in different sales territories. Looking at the prices I would say that in the UK the Maks represent tremendous value for money and if I was in the market for a brand new compact catadioptric, I wouldn't be buying an SCT!

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, RobertI said:

I've done a quick check and the above pattern still seems to hold true, so it seems in the US that SCTs are cheaper than Maks and in the UK the reverse is true. I'm guessing this is the result of different marketing strategies by Synta in different sales territories. Looking at the prices I would say that in the UK the Maks represent tremendous value for money and if I was in the market for a brand new compact catadioptric, I wouldn't be buying an SCT!

I agree Rob, but would add that SCT and the name Celestron will bring out a patriotic buying tendency across the pond, even though they are made in China.

A bit like asking about eyepieces on CN and the fact that all TV optics are made in Taiwan or Japan, gets the same patriotic reaction.

Just my 2p worth.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Just read this thread and an interesting rant from Vlaiv and then picked up.

These types of scope intrigue me for all the reasons known, especially the more compact package and therefore easier to find a store space for. 

For me space s an issue, I live in a decent sized house, but store space is very limited and does dictate where things can live, my 10” Dobson is a case in point, always moved about as it needs somewhere to live.

A SCT or Mak or CC could nearly live in my sock drawer, yes I have a big sock drawer 😂

I’m with you on storage Alan. My 10” dob keeps getting moved around too, normally when she’s fed up of it residing somewhere, it needs a new spot. 
Im toying with a 102 frac next year to compliment but I am also considering a 6” SCT, guess I’ll end up with both one day 🙄

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Not long ago you could pick up a used C8 for £300.00 to £400.00 but now sellers seem to add a few hundred to the price. 🤬🤬🤬

Too true, i once got a Meade 8 sct LX10 on driven fork mount, excellent condition for £400 so i know this to be true.

Can’t help noticing how rarely Meade  gets mentioned in what to buy discussions on SGL nowadays. 🤔

Although now that Opticstar has the Meade distributorship for the UK that might change. Opticstar has always had great customer service and support so if they can bring that level,of service to the Meade lineup things might change. 🙏🏼

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Can’t help noticing how rarely Meade  gets mentioned in what to buy discussions on SGL nowadays. 🤔

Although now that Opticstar has the Meade distributorship for the UK that might change. Opticstar has always had great customer service and support so if they can bring that level,of service to the Meade lineup things might change. 🙏🏼

They almost seem second rate now dont they ? I also notice the price of the Opticstar refractors essentially Bresser. Are very keenly priced

Edited by neil phillips

I bought my C6 based on weight alone. It is simply the lightest 6" telescope for any money. I did get it new for £499 which seemed a relatively good price at the time. Currently €940 on European retailers!

1 minute ago, Ags said:

I bought my C6 based on weight alone. It is simply the lightest 6" telescope for any money. I did get it new for £499 which seemed a relatively good price at the time. Currently €940 on European retailers!

Good point as far as i am aware are not Meade generally heavier than Celestron ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Priesters said:

Actually just checked the specs on Flo and OpticStar and the weights are almost identical.

Why did i think this ? maybe i am remembering the older larger Meades weight difference. False memory syndrome. Maybe ? 

Edited by neil phillips