SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Reflections in Vixen SLV EPs?

1 minute ago, fate187 said:

In fact it looks black compared to mine in the 6 and 4mm šŸ¤”. And are the thinner spacers that sandwich the black ring metallic or not? At least they look less reflective than mine...

Not sure what the thin grey lines are. Could even be the edges of the lenses, which always show some scatter. I am not going to take them apart to find out. It does seem definite proof there are two different types of SLVs. I was apparently lucky enough to get three with blackened rings

Holding them against the light at certain angles will reveal, that they are metallic, not glass surfaces imho. But as you said you may have a different design/material mix. :)

• 1 year later...

By next Friday I'll have received the Vixen SLV 4mm,5mm,and 6mm eyepieces purchased brand new from some reputable European dealers because the price is right compared to the very few ones left in the States. Keeping my fingers crossed they will be reflection-free, at least for planetary and I won't have to share some horror stories with anyonešŸ¤ž

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/05/2020 at 13:03, fate187 said:

Four weeks ago I got a new 6mm SLV to accompany another 6mm SLV I already have for some time now. I also asked Don very recently via PM on Cloudynights with pictures regarding shiny spacers in the eyepieces. See this picture: This is what you see after unthreading the bottom 1.25" barrel. The top arrow marks one small very thin shiny edge. Worse is below marked with two arrows, which is the space directly below the eyelens and is easily seen looking from top, sightly sideways.

Ā 

msg-243611-0-27524600-1586535208_thumb.jpg

Ok guys, I received the 4mm,5mm and 6mm SLVs much earlier than I expected, so I had a couple of good observing sessions with some buddies of mine. The 4mm and the 6mm have a black spacer whereas the 5mm a matt gray one. Needless to say,Ā  when I saw the spacer in the 5mm I got cold sweats all over LOL !

Jupiter was on the menu, so I tested all three of them and compared them to a 12mm barlowed Brandon usingĀ  the Celestron X-CEL 2x, 2.4XĀ  (parts of the 2X and 3X barlows combinedĀ  together) and 3X barlows. The mags used were 150X, 180X and 225X in my SW 120 ED.

The single arrow shown in the picture above, provided by Fate 187 ,is matt black in all three eyepieces I received, not just the edge of them but the whole thing.

Long story short, I am really impressed becauseĀ  there were no reflections at all. In addition, there were no flares close to the edge of the field to telegraph that there was a planet entering or exiting the field.Ā  Razor sharp optics with excellent contrast easily matching the Radians and the XWs I used to have along with my unbarlowed orthos and the NZ 3-6. The Jovian belts were a bit more pronounced in the SLVs compared to the Brandon and I believe it has to do with the lanthanum elements found in the design. Overall these are the kind of eyepieces I've always wanted because they are like mini XWs that weigh close to nothing compared to the Radians and the XWs. Over the years I've grown an aversion to big and heavy eyepieces but it took me seven years to pull the trigger on the SLVsĀ  and risk receiving a lemon ....or three!

AFAIK Vixen discontinued the SLV line back in 2018 without any official announcement made. A very underrated line in the States mostly due to a lack of reviews, reports and articles. One may find some, but not enough to form an opinion about them. Thank you guys for all the SLV threads you've started all these years allowing some of us at the other side of the Pond to appreciate these little gems.

Ā 

George

• Like 1