Narrowband

Stellarium connect to AZ-GTI using EQdir cable

Fellow automated Astronomers'

I have been trying to connect my AZ-GTI mount to my Dell computer using the FLO Lynx Astro FTDI EQDIR direct connect cable.  The cable is connected to the mount hand controller port.  The other end (USB) is connected to the  Dell Computer.

The USB port on the Dell reports COM7 connect  using device manager.  BAUD rate set at 9600.  I have ASCOM 6.4 platform installed, as well as, EQASCOM, and Stellarium 20.0 and Stellarium scope.  I have installed the Skywatcher telescope drivers too.

I have not been able to connect the scope to Stellarium and am looking for help.  I'm sure I am missing some really simple procedural step.

As an aside, I also have a ZWO ASIAIR  which I have used successfully to direct connect it to the  AZ-GTI mount using the same cable.  Everything works, GO-TOs, plate solving, centering, guiding, very neat and exciting.

What am I doing wrong??

Astroleo

You don't need Stellarium scope with V20

I think the EQDir cable is required for EQMod operations, only works with EQ mounts not Alt-Az mounts.

According to the Synscan manual (which version comes with your mount???) you just need a usb (or serial adaptor if you use the SW serial cable) cables between the computer and the handcontroller.

http://skywatcher.com/download/manual/synscan-hand-control-and-synscan-app/

See Section 9.1 of the manual.

The next thing you need to do is using Synscan app for windows, go to connect settings and select Serial and ensure the correct port number is selected

I did not have to play with any baud rate settings (the driver installed itself when I inserted the cable for the first time, and I did not alter the settings baud 9600, data bits 8, parity none).

If you can confirm that using the app you can connect to the mount and move it using the app then this would be very helpful diagnosing the problem 

Edited by festoon

With the synscan app for windows you need to leave the app open and left connected to the mount.

Once this is achieved you can then control the mount with any program that uses ASCOM using the SynscanMobile Telescope ASCOM driver

In Stellarium, go to configuration window. The go to plug-ins. The select telescope control. Then configure. Then add a "Telescope controlled by" ASCOM. Under ASCOM settings below press choose ASCOM telescope. Then select SynscanMobile Telescope. Give the scope a name an press OK.

You can then press connect and the status should change to connected.

The important step is to ensure you keep synscan open and connected to use any other ASCOM connections (using the driver Synscanmobile telescope) with other software e.g. stellarium, Sharpcap

Edited by festoon

Yes you use the app as a connection bridge. Once the mount is connected to PC with the app you can use the SynscanMobile Telescope ASCOM driver in any suitable program. Then you can happily control the mount in software like stellarium

Edited by festoon

Hi, I had a similar issue a while back. With the new version of stellarium you no longer need the stellarium scope app just stellarium. Watch the video below to set up your mount to stellarium. This can be carried out in the day time. 

Btw no need to use the synscan app or controller just do away with it.

2 minutes ago, festoon said:

Thanks @Dan13. For me I found for an AZ GTI you need to connect using the SynscanMobile telescope and the app needs to be connected otherwise this doesn't work.

Oh massive apologies I overlooked that mount. Unfortunately I have no knowledge on that particular one I'm afraid so in that case you could possibly ignore my comments.

Again apologies.

• Like 1

Good stuff @Dan13....the video is great stuff and a helpful tutorial. The only difference here that the user needs to follow is 1) Open Synscan app on windows. Connect to mount in synscan app. And instead of selecting EQMOD ASCOM Simulator on the ASCOM telescope chooser dialogue just select SynscanMobile Telescope on the drop down list

• Like 1

Sounds good.

I was confused by the description of the cable as being a "EQDir" cable which is used by the EQMod. It appears this Lynx cable acts as a serial/ usb adaptor.....

• Like 1