Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Stu

Hadley Rille - 1st May 2020

I had a very clear demonstration of the resolution benefits of larger scopes this evening. I was observing with the Tak for the first part of the evening at high powers, up to x250, possibly more and the views were relatively stable and very clear. I was also doing some more live streaming on FB and having the scope on the Vixen GP made that a really good success.

I looked for Hadley Rille in the Tak, and whilst I could see a short section on it, the rest eluded me.

Later on, actually when I was thinking about packing in, I spotted the 8” f8, calling to me to be used 😉. It was already cooled so took only a moment to setup. The seeing was quite wobbly at high power, more so in the larger aperture but immediately I could see the additional detail. I managed three, possibly four Plato craterlets although they were very tough. The detail elsewhere was stunning though, a lot more fine stuff visible. I need to have a trawl through the atlas to check out what I saw.

Anyway, the point of the post..... I checked back on Hadley Rille and despite the variable seeing was delighted to be able to follow its whole winding length, a really amazing sight and one I’ve not seen for quite a while. This scope certainly delivers on high power lunar views, exactly why I bought it! I guess the point of the post is that I often enjoy the aesthetically more pleasing views through my refractors, but do also enjoy the additional detail that comes from the higher resolution in the larger apertures; the challenge for me is that these are often more affected by seeing conditions so take a bit more patience to wait for the moments of good seeing. Ultimately you see more though.

A couple of random images taken through the Tak with my phone for the record. I’ve added one which shows the general area of Hadley Rille.

9934A1CA-4B4E-4E13-9606-FE723CA7B840.jpeg

E6FB85F0-07D0-49FA-8F0F-4A6F5560F979.jpeg

D70A6740-8310-4815-8CFC-0424D7567EBC.jpeg

• Like 7