Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi everybody...

Arneb

Hey everyone,

Just a quick message to say 'Hi' to everyone and introduce myself a little as I've been a long time reader of these forums and thought it time I joined you all!

So I've been interested in astronomy since I was a kid growing up in the 1980s. Aside from a lost decade during and after university I've been an active 'stargazer' since I got a pair of 10x50 binoculars one Christmas when I was 8 or 9. My first serious scope was a Darkstar dobsonian (awesome scopes if anyone remembers them?) which I owned during my teenage years but it was, regrettably, moved on for something more portable. Since the dob I seem to have amassed a small armoury of scopes - I'm not entirely sure how it happened but thankfully I have an understanding wife!

In addition to visual astronomy, I've recently dabbled with astrophotography (photography being another hobby of mine) and also EAA. I don't take either too seriously (especially the former as I've never really got on with equatorial mounts!) but it's a fun way to see to a little more of the universe. 

Anyway, that's enough about me - I look forward to meeting you.

Thanks

Sam

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Floater said:

Welcome. Have lots of fun. 🙂

Thank you - I'm sure I will. Certainly lots of varied discussions to explore - I just need to stay away from the temptation lurking in the classifieds section!😅

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Floater said:

Welcome. Have lots of fun. 🙂

Hi Gordon,

I just noticed your signature (I was viewing on mobile last night) and I see you own the 24mm Panoptic with your Televue scopes. I've recently acquired a, new to me, NP-101 and I'm after a 24mm  68 degree 1.25 inch EP . I've a 28mm Maxvision (as well as the 40mm Maxvision)  but found the NP101 ruthlessly highlights the slight field curvature in the outer edge of the 28mm. Not a huge problem but it has made me want to locate a truly flat field, low power EP. How do you find the 24mm Panoptic? It has a great reputation and understand that it should not introduce any field curvature, but I've never viewed through one so am keen to learn more about it.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Hello Sam and welcome.

Peter

Thanks Peter! And that's great work you've got in your gallery. I mean to try some planetary imaging - I figure Mars will present a good opportunity for this later in the year.

4 minutes ago, cletrac1922 said:

Sam

Welcome from Land Down Under

You travel the universe in this forum

John

Thanks John - you certainly do! I'd love to get down south again sometime - I have some unfinished business with the LMC and SMC amongst other targets in your skies!

7 hours ago, Arneb said:

Hi Gordon,

I just noticed your signature (I was viewing on mobile last night) and I see you own the 24mm Panoptic with your Televue scopes. I've recently acquired a, new to me, NP-101 and I'm after a 24mm  68 degree 1.25 inch EP . I've a 28mm Maxvision (as well as the 40mm Maxvision)  but found the NP101 ruthlessly highlights the slight field curvature in the outer edge of the 28mm. Not a huge problem but it has made me want to locate a truly flat field, low power EP. How do you find the 24mm Panoptic? It has a great reputation and understand that it should not introduce any field curvature, but I've never viewed through one so am keen to learn more about it.

Thanks

Arneb, I fear that your knowledge is greater than mine. Nor have I much experience with other eyepieces for comparison.

Therefore, this is perhaps not as scientific as you might wish but I find the Panoptic provides pleasing views with my scopes and wouldn’t fail to recommend it ... bearing in mind the above caveats. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Floater said:

Arneb, I fear that your knowledge is greater than mine. Nor have I much experience with other eyepieces for comparison.

Therefore, this is perhaps not as scientific as you might wish but I find the Panoptic provides pleasing views with my scopes and wouldn’t fail to recommend it ... bearing in mind the above caveats. 

Thanks Gordon –  it is always good to hear from someone with first hand experience of the gear in question so your thoughts on the Panoptic are much appreciated.  It all helps me work through the analysis paralysis!

Sam

1 hour ago, Chris Wright said:

Welcome aboard. Very new here myself but a lovely welcoming bunch of enthusiasts we have here :)

Thanks Chris - they really are. We're very fortunate to have such a resource of knowledgeable and enthusiastic folk.

1 hour ago, pixelsaurus said:

Hi Sam,

Welcome aboard.

Mike.

Thanks Mike. Funnily enough I think I passed through Te Kuiti some years ago when I was doing a bit of back packing - I had just visited Waitomo Caves and was heading to Taupo. Details are a little hazy due to the time elapsed and, likely, a few too many handles of Monteith's 🍻!

On 03/05/2020 at 08:46, Arneb said:

Thanks Mike. Funnily enough I think I passed through Te Kuiti some years ago when I was doing a bit of back packing - I had just visited Waitomo Caves and was heading to Taupo. Details are a little hazy due to the time elapsed and, likely, a few too many handles of Monteith's 🍻!

Cheers. Haven't been to the caves yet as only been here just over a year. Monteith's is OK but I prefer Orchard Theives Cider myself. 

😀