SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Where to mount ASIAir Pro to Star Adventurer

Hey Folks

I've ordered a ASIair Pro device and Iv'e been told it will arrive shortly. I was wondering how best to mount it on my star adventurer; have others come up with solutions? I do have a redcat51 and was considering attaching to the underside of the dovetail there but I thought it might lead to cabeling tangling/balance issues.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have currently gone for this option.

This then sits on my AZ-GTI  mount, but pretty much the same config as you would have.

The only potential issue with placing it on the tripod are the then longer leads getting tangled etc as it moves around, although yours would just be the RA so not so bad.

Cheers

IMG_5970.thumb.JPG.e6f0be7117de16b62af89dd9057c9eb7.JPG

Edited by KEJ
  • Like 1

I've got a RaspberryPi running AstroPi3, pretty much the same as an ASIAir. It is welded with a sticky rubber sheet (car phone holder) to a 20000mAh usb power pack and a double power lead to give 3.1amps capability which will keep it going for hours running a guide cam, arduino PnP focuser and ASI294 (uncooled). I strap it to the tripod as I don't want excess load on the StarAdventurer with my Sharpstar 61EDPH, there is only one USB cable to it from the ASI294 and a 5 volt power lead for the focuser so cables management is simple. 

On 29/06/2020 at 09:45, KEJ said:

I like that idea.  Looks a nice setup and a decent mount.

Thanks.   Still yet to get a full night and carry out some shots.  But so looking forward to seeing results.

I just found an old wifi extender, so I set that up to use the same mains plug I use to power the ASIAIR outside and that's now all connected to the home wifi router.

The good news now, I can control it from anywhere in the house and especially from bed.

New iPhone is 100%, but the 2nd generation iPad(100 years old) struggles downloading pictures, but both work!

IMG_5998.jpg

IMG_5999.jpg

Edited by KEJ

On 29/06/2020 at 10:15, dunc said:

I've got a RaspberryPi running AstroPi3, pretty much the same as an ASIAir. It is welded with a sticky rubber sheet (car phone holder) to a 20000mAh usb power pack and a double power lead to give 3.1amps capability which will keep it going for hours running a guide cam, arduino PnP focuser and ASI294 (uncooled). I strap it to the tripod as I don't want excess load on the StarAdventurer with my Sharpstar 61EDPH, there is only one USB cable to it from the ASI294 and a 5 volt power lead for the focuser so cables management is simple. 

Nice one.

I need to get a power pack for external remote locations, ideally for me to power the AZ-GTI and ASIAIR + guide camera..

I do have a little RAVPower pack, but that's a 15000, but unfortunately only 5v jobby.

So is yours 12v ?

• 7 months later...
On 01/05/2020 at 07:29, lune lupine said:

Hey Folks

I've ordered a ASIair Pro device and Iv'e been told it will arrive shortly. I was wondering how best to mount it on my star adventurer; have others come up with solutions? I do have a redcat51 and was considering attaching to the underside of the dovetail there but I thought it might lead to cabeling tangling/balance issues.

This is how I’m currently set up. 

2AF8DEB1-87B7-4422-A35D-E2C9402D65A0.jpeg

44853A84-689E-4316-A0CA-95E6B11A7811.jpeg

2826CA28-A92A-472E-9C40-3FA1F0CA92CB.jpeg

• Like 1

You need to be careful about wifi range, not great on the asiair Pro and if it is attached to the scope tracking can cause the asiair to move out of range, or be blocked by scope.  I have found much better performance after attaching the asiair to the mount on the side closest to the tablet.  There are various little camera ball head clamps that enable this. 

• 4 months later...