Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finder scope "upside Down" and caps at the end of the scope

Hi, as in the title when aligning up my finder scope in daylight, i notice that it is upside down? is this a normal thing to occur? tried looking througt past posts, but no info found, also on my main scope theres a small cap and a large cap, is this to let less/more light through? im a complete novice BTW if the questions sound ridiculous.

Thanks in hand, Locky.

Yes. its supposed to be upside down. You can buy a right way up one, but standard ones are upside down.

The small cap on the big cap (Newtonian?) is to look at bright things like the moon NOT THE SUN!!!!!!!! by leaving the big cap on and taking the little one off. The non-removable small cap is a place to park the small cap so you don't lose it.

Kaptain Klevtsov

All astro refractors, which includes your finder scope, will present an inverted image.

Terrestrial refractors have an extra lens to present the user with a correctly oriented image.

However, the extra glass come at the expense of some light loss. In a terrestrial scope, this is of no consequence, whereas astro scopes are all about passing as might light as is practical.

With astro objects, it matters not, that the image you see is inverted.

Dave

• 9 years later...
36 minutes ago, Robbied said:

I’m so glad I found this post. As a complete novice I was wondering exactly the same thing. 

That's the great thing about SGL, even just randomly going through posts you find something that comes in useful. My problem is that I can't remember half of those posts that I thought "great that will come in useful". :) 

Jim 

• 2 weeks later...

When you start  finding celestial objects by "star hopping", using a star map or atlas (e.g. the "Pocket Sky Atlas" - very recommendable), you will have to rotate the map for 180°to get roughly the same orientation as the finderscope. Some observers (including myself) are finding this annoying and prefer a non-rotated view, like with naked eyes or binoculars. This can be solved by using a so-called RACI (=right-angle, correct image) finderscope. You look "down" through the 90° angle prism (Amici prism) and get the correct image orientation (which, for me, is more natural and intuitively), and, at the same time, you avoid to get pain in the neck. Additional cost, but, paired with a decent RDF (=Red Dot Finder), IME, the best way for star-hopping. (The view through the main scope will, of course, still be upside-down).

Stephan

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps you inserted the finder scope upside down.. hihi.. I'm joking....

Your finder scope is like a little refracting telescope and with out a diagonal the images in all refractors are upside down, thats just how lights get flipped by the objective lens.... you notice this more in daytime rather than locating stars at night. It completely normal.

Archived