Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M87 and jet and globular clusters

kirkster501

A bit noisy still due to only one hour in each of my LRGB Astrodon filters with TEC140 and Atik 460.   I hope to grab more data on this.

I am fascinated with this galaxy.  In the close up (in the main image too), if you avert your eyes slightly, you can see the famous jet at the 2 o'clock position emanating from the Supermassive black hole in the core.  You can also see a few of the larger globular clusters of which there are thousands around M87.  Some of M87's largest globulars are 25 times the size of M13, making them visible at the vast distance of 60 million light years

I hope you like it.  You don't see this imaged on its own very much since it is a bit bland on its own.

M87.thumb.jpg.746c42c6d44506fe8e2cecbd1d13ff04.jpgM87_Jet_and_Globular.thumb.jpg.52f355c029fad288cf8a1f329d6a44b1.jpg

Edited by kirkster501
  • Like 10

Very nice :)

It took me some effort to pick out the jet but once I'd got it I found it quite obvious!

Interesting fact snippets too. It's a fascinating galaxy but needs an image as deep as yours to do it any justice or even make it noteworthy!

Excellent capture.

Maybe it would be interesting to try planetary type wavelet sharpening on that core / jet?

It has good SNR on its own. Quick test on 8bit jpeg that you posted, gives very nice results:

image.png.b3157f7c75c24061bb1a755d0d2136dd.png

• Like 5

Yes,  great pic and it looks like you have plenty of depth to play with.

I took this with my C8Edge and Atik 414ex  in Luminosity   (24 x 60secs )   and ran the risk of not having enough stars to stack them with.

Once stacked,  I stretched it like it was on the event horizon itself......!!!!!!... and tha' she blows !!   

2095462423_M87jet.thumb.jpg.5e6873c74eea125a66eba1bfac9f6775.jpg

Sean.

• Like 5