Narrowband

15 Magnitude Star chart

Scosmico

Hi

Does anyone know where I can find star charts down to mag 15?

Sky safari is not that good with faint stars around deep sky objects. 

Same around pluto. 

I have been taking advantage of recent great transparency and galaxy hunting for many nights in a row. 

Many thanks

Edited by Scosmico

5 minutes ago, Scosmico said:

Hi

Does anyone know where I can find star charts down to mag 15?

Sky safari is not that good with faint stars around deep sky objects. 

Same around pluto. 

I have been taking advantage of recent great transparency and was galaxy hunting for many nights in a row. 

Many thanks

Have you tried Cartes du Ciel?

Chris

19 minutes ago, andrew s said:

I don't  think you will find a paper atlas to mag 15 and if you did it would be enormous. I have one to mag 13.5 at it's in 3 large boxes.

Regards Andrew 

I thought that would be the case. I am hopeful to find that can be accessed on the mobile. PDF or app. 

3 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

The UCAC4 catalogue in CdC will get you down to 16mag, below that you need the GAIA catalogue which goes down I think to 20 mag!

I will check if I can produce pdfs that can be used on my mobile at night. 

which Sky safari are you using?  I have the plus version which is good enough for me, but the pro version claims mag 18 and 'the largest mobile star database'

extract from web site: (mag 18 was galaxies)

We Have The Best Stars

We’ve updated to use the UCAC5 star catalog with 29 million stars down to 15th magnitude. And with an in-app purchase you can get a total 109 million stars.*

Edited by mikeyj1
  • Like 1

Cartes du Ciel lets you export finder charts as images, but I'm not sure PDF export is available. But as others have said, SkySafari 6 Pro has stars down to mag 15.0, the GAIA extension offers stars down to 17.0 (G magnitude). The free TriAtlas C edition (PDF) has a stellar magnitude limit of 12.6.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, mikeyj1 said:

which Sky safari are you using?  I have the plus version which is good enough for me, but the pro version claims mag 18 and 'the largest mobile star database'

extract from web site: (mag 18 was galaxies)

We Have The Best Stars

We’ve updated to use the UCAC5 star catalog with 29 million stars down to 15th magnitude. And with an in-app purchase you can get a total 109 million stars.*

Sky Saffari 6 plus. 

On 27/04/2020 at 12:01, Waddensky said:

Cartes du Ciel lets you export finder charts as images, but I'm not sure PDF export is available. But as others have said, SkySafari 6 Pro has stars down to mag 15.0, the GAIA extension offers stars down to 17.0 (G magnitude). The free TriAtlas C edition (PDF) has a stellar magnitude limit of 12.6.

Thanks Waddenshy, Cartes du ciel did the trick! I have downloaded the GAIA 2 mag 18.

image.png.6f4f1458f4dcff99eaa5f6323312e180.png

Edited by Scosmico
  • Like 1

You could try Tri-Atlas. All three .PDF volumes will just fit on a CD-ROM. Galaxies are down to magnitude 15.5 and stars to 12.5, (if I remember). 

Also you could try Petty Deep Maps - a detailed all-sky astronomical atlas. I found a link to it via another SGL'er signature. Looks like it is going to fill at least three DVD-ROM, (the charts are .PDF), and one CD-ROM, (other info., etc). It's a very big download!

edit: I have 'burned' Petty Deep Maps - a detailed all-sky astronomical atlas, (3x DVD's & 1x CD), this afternoon and took about 40-60 minutes from start to finish, (including where I messed up on DVD-ROM #2 and another 'burn' to get it in the order I specified, as below). 

• DVD-ROM #1 ...spring & summer
  • DVD-ROM #2 ...autumn/fall & winter
  • DVD-ROM #3 ...Northern & Southern circumpolar
  • CD-ROM... indicies & guide

...approximately 8.10 G/byte of HDD space too... 😳😱

2007436987_Screenshot(77).png.84e97326345093e003501c60b981d2e3.png 

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

I used (successive) Stellarium screenshots to "Star Hop" (then image) the Hubble Deep
Field. But then my HEQ5 can be a bit dodgy re. slewing and tracking (Did I mention?)!
Even with a Watec 910HX on max. integration + my 8" f/4 Newt, I am not able to "see"
beyond mag +16 in real time? "Hop... wait 10s... hop... check chart..." etc. lol! There was
still a fair bit of "pot luck" re. imaging (for the HDF!) an apparently BLANK BIT of sky? 🥳

I downloaded one of the LARGER datasets that are available for use with Stellarium... I
now see *my* Stellarium M57 field shows the Mag 17.45 star (higlighted)? I [can] show
my (accurate) CCD field & orientation. You need to adjust limiting mag. in "settings"! 🙂

Limit.jpg.4b9f5c357169a03055767e249a715a88.jpg

I use a graphics package to *invert* the standard image above - So I can write stuff on it!
Stellarium is rather "prettier"? BUT I still use CDC to (remotely) drive my mount/scope. 😏

• Like 1