Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Scosmico

15 Magnitude Star chart

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi

Does anyone know where I can find star charts down to mag 15?

Sky safari is not that good with faint stars around deep sky objects. 

Same around pluto. 

I have been taking advantage of recent great transparency and galaxy hunting for many nights in a row. 

Many thanks

Edited by Scosmico

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Scosmico said:

Hi

Does anyone know where I can find star charts down to mag 15?

Sky safari is not that good with faint stars around deep sky objects. 

Same around pluto. 

I have been taking advantage of recent great transparency and was galaxy hunting for many nights in a row. 

Many thanks

Have you tried Cartes du Ciel?

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Chris, I will have a look. I normally don't take laptops for my sessions. 

One thing less to worry about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Chris, I will have a look. I normally don't take laptops for my sessions. 

One thing less to worry about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uranometrium 2000 all sky edition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't  think you will find a paper atlas to mag 15 and if you did it would be enormous. I have one to mag 13.5 at it's in 3 large boxes.

Regards Andrew 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The UCAC4 catalogue in CdC will get you down to 16mag, below that you need the GAIA catalogue which goes down I think to 20 mag!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, andrew s said:

I don't  think you will find a paper atlas to mag 15 and if you did it would be enormous. I have one to mag 13.5 at it's in 3 large boxes.

Regards Andrew 

I thought that would be the case. I am hopeful to find that can be accessed on the mobile. PDF or app. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

The UCAC4 catalogue in CdC will get you down to 16mag, below that you need the GAIA catalogue which goes down I think to 20 mag!

I will check if I can produce pdfs that can be used on my mobile at night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

which Sky safari are you using?  I have the plus version which is good enough for me, but the pro version claims mag 18 and 'the largest mobile star database'

extract from web site: (mag 18 was galaxies)

 

We Have The Best Stars

We’ve updated to use the UCAC5 star catalog with 29 million stars down to 15th magnitude. And with an in-app purchase you can get a total 109 million stars.*

Edited by mikeyj1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cartes du Ciel lets you export finder charts as images, but I'm not sure PDF export is available. But as others have said, SkySafari 6 Pro has stars down to mag 15.0, the GAIA extension offers stars down to 17.0 (G magnitude). The free TriAtlas C edition (PDF) has a stellar magnitude limit of 12.6.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, mikeyj1 said:

which Sky safari are you using?  I have the plus version which is good enough for me, but the pro version claims mag 18 and 'the largest mobile star database'

extract from web site: (mag 18 was galaxies)

 

We Have The Best Stars

We’ve updated to use the UCAC5 star catalog with 29 million stars down to 15th magnitude. And with an in-app purchase you can get a total 109 million stars.*

Sky Saffari 6 plus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As you can see, even with stars set to 15 only few stars appear around M 57. 

Screenshot_20200427-122525.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the amount of stars you get with SkySafari 6 Pro, without the GAIA add-on (mag 15.0). Plus has a magnitude limit of 12.0.

Screenshot SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

side by side you can see the gaps.

 

post-3169-14073063094144_thumb.jpg

Screenshot_20200427-122525.thumb.png.dd9b2eb3c87c41c7395614846a722409.png

Edited by Scosmico
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 27/04/2020 at 12:01, Waddensky said:

Cartes du Ciel lets you export finder charts as images, but I'm not sure PDF export is available. But as others have said, SkySafari 6 Pro has stars down to mag 15.0, the GAIA extension offers stars down to 17.0 (G magnitude). The free TriAtlas C edition (PDF) has a stellar magnitude limit of 12.6.

Thanks Waddenshy, Cartes du ciel did the trick! I have downloaded the GAIA 2 mag 18.

image.png.6f4f1458f4dcff99eaa5f6323312e180.png

Edited by Scosmico
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, it is easy to print a pdf. 

Pluto here I go.

image.png.eaf8ec98317dcc58721a07143712780b.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You could try Tri-Atlas. All three .PDF volumes will just fit on a CD-ROM. Galaxies are down to magnitude 15.5 and stars to 12.5, (if I remember). 

Also you could try Petty Deep Maps - a detailed all-sky astronomical atlas. I found a link to it via another SGL'er signature. Looks like it is going to fill at least three DVD-ROM, (the charts are .PDF), and one CD-ROM, (other info., etc). It's a very big download!

 

 

edit: I have 'burned' Petty Deep Maps - a detailed all-sky astronomical atlas, (3x DVD's & 1x CD), this afternoon and took about 40-60 minutes from start to finish, (including where I messed up on DVD-ROM #2 and another 'burn' to get it in the order I specified, as below). 

  • DVD-ROM #1 ...spring & summer
  • DVD-ROM #2 ...autumn/fall & winter
  • DVD-ROM #3 ...Northern & Southern circumpolar
  • CD-ROM... indicies & guide

...approximately 8.10 G/byte of HDD space too... 😳😱

 2007436987_Screenshot(77).png.84e97326345093e003501c60b981d2e3.png 

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used (successive) Stellarium screenshots to "Star Hop" (then image) the Hubble Deep
Field. But then my HEQ5 can be a bit dodgy re. slewing and tracking (Did I mention?)!
Even with a Watec 910HX on max. integration + my 8" f/4 Newt, I am not able to "see"
beyond mag +16 in real time? "Hop... wait 10s... hop... check chart..." etc. lol! There was
still a fair bit of "pot luck" re. imaging (for the HDF!) an apparently BLANK BIT of sky? 🥳

I downloaded one of the LARGER datasets that are available for use with Stellarium... I
now see *my* Stellarium M57 field shows the Mag 17.45 star (higlighted)? I [can] show
my (accurate) CCD field & orientation. You need to adjust limiting mag. in "settings"! 🙂

Limit.jpg.4b9f5c357169a03055767e249a715a88.jpg
 

I use a graphics package to *invert* the standard image above - So I can write stuff on it!
Stellarium is rather "prettier"? BUT I still use CDC to (remotely) drive my mount/scope. 😏

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.