SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

XT8I controller issues

Hi,

My XT8I controller is driving me nuts as I need to use a torch/phone to illuminate the panel when using. The screen is so dim that I can;t see it other than the buttons on the extreme right. This is not just when it's cold though (I stick a hand warmer on it which helps keep it working). Additionally, after aligning, if I go to select 'Planets', it cones up with the date screen and of course easy to inadvertently change the date. The only way around it is to hit enter a few times to confirm ddmmyy and then search for a database object. This does not happen if I select 'Messier', 'NGC' etc for lookups.

So, is my controller knackered? Can't justify the $200 price tag on Orions USA's website!

Edited by Markinaboat
more info

The dim lighting sounds like a possible battery problem. Start by swapping it out. A very low cost option that could cure the problem. Also sometimes "bit rot" occurs in the Synta hand controllers (Synta is the parent company of Skywatcher and Celestron and makes all of Orion's mounts/controllers) so a factory reset is needed. I would try those two things before writing the controller off.

On 27/04/2020 at 19:18, Dr Strange said:

The dim lighting sounds like a possible battery problem. Start by swapping it out. A very low cost option that could cure the problem. Also sometimes "bit rot" occurs in the Synta hand controllers (Synta is the parent company of Skywatcher and Celestron and makes all of Orion's mounts/controllers) so a factory reset is needed. I would try those two things before writing the controller off.

Thanks for your response. I did replace the battery. If I do a factory reset, would that wipe out the object database?

What will go are date/time/etc. Those are user input so they are not stored in ROM or EEPROM. Likely you had to do the same thing when you replaced the battery. So anything you lost when you pulled the battery you will lose again and have to put back.