Jump to content

740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

My light pollution has just reduced!


Swoop1
 Share

Recommended Posts

That is good news !

I had a similar result when I requested that a light in a nearby school car park was partially masked to keep it's light off my house and garden. It took a couple of letters copied to my local councillor but they did take action eventually.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Swoop1 said:

I sent an e mail to the local council asking if they could do something about a couple of street lamps where the excess light illuminates my garden.

They fitted a shroud to one on Friday!

Great action

Would you mind sharing the communication as a template? 

Let's build on success. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Scosmico said:

Great action

Would you mind sharing the communication as a template? 

Let's build on success. 

This is what I wrote. It was via the general contact form on their website-

I am trying to make contact with the department responsible for street lighting but you contact form keeps defaulting to the comments page which is frustrating.

I wish to ask that shrouds be installed on 2 street lights in Marlow- lamp 7 on Dean Street and lamp 1 on Wethered Road. This is to reduce light pollution in my rear garden which is preventing me enjoying my hobby- astronomical photography. The light at night is badly affecting the images I am taking. Thanks.

 

Their response was to identify to me the correct department for my enquiry and to forward it on. I then got a reply from the correct department (Transport for Buckinghamshire) to say the the Dean Street lamp was correclty shrouded but they would fit a shroud to the Dean Street lamp, which they subsequently did.

 

I am about to thank them for this and ask them to revisit the other lamp as the light is very bright from where I image and observe.

Edited by Swoop1
Spelling errors and
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Liverpool City Council street lighting dept didn't even bother replying to either of my emails about a ridiculous LED in the cul-de-sac behind us... So nice result, well done.

 

 

A letter to Jurgen Klopp might help sort that out. 😉

Oh and well done Swoop1.

Edited by Mick H
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mick H said:

A letter to Jurgen Klopp might help sort that out. 😉

Oh and well done Swoop1.

Hah, as long as the boss of the dept isn't an Evertonian...

I may go down the Mr Angry of Knotty Ash route and write to a local councilor/MP. "I voted for you, sort this crap out! While you're at it sort the potholes and, and..." 🙄

Great result though for Swoop. I'm surprised, given the current crisis that the work was carried out.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The profile of the astronomy community needs to be raised so that these issues don't develop in the first place.   Ideally, councils need to add our needs to their developments' check lists, in the same way they do for disabilities or special needs.  Just a little bit of thought could make a huge difference.  Elon Musk has made an effort with his satellites - which have been a real pain of late.  

I would also like to see the BBC weather people include something about likely seeing conditions in their forecasts so that we can plan better - just like they do for UV or pollen.  

Gus

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Liverpool City Council street lighting dept didn't even bother replying to either of my emails about a ridiculous LED in the cul-de-sac behind us... So nice result, well done.

It might be worth reading relevant pages on the council website to see what slant they put on it.

Ours mentioned that lighting shouldn't affect your well being.

So, along with the stargazing, I also put that it was a concern because it illuminated the property and made access easier to thieves and that the front bedrooms were too bright at night and were having an affect on our sleep.

I was very polite and grateful and the shields/shrouds were fitted without me receiving a response!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've just found out that Edinburgh Council is at the start of a scheme to replace ALL Edinburgh City streetlights with new LED ones. I came across it when I was looking at where to complain about a local lamp which illuminates my back garden.

There's a timetable (obviously now delayed) here, for those interested: https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/downloads/file/26122/proposed-timetable

Unfortunately, my area is the last on the list and was going to get done next summer, even before the lockdown.

They claim:

  • typically use 60% less energy therefore they reduce our carbon footprint
  • light up immediately
  • reduce light pollution and the orange sky glow will almost disappear
  • create less light spillage and it's better directed onto roads and pavements, creating a better environment for birds and wildlife

I've seen a few local streets that were done 2 years ago as part of the pilot (I didn't realise there was a plan to do the whole city). I must admit they do appear pretty dim and a few elderly locals aren't keen. However, if all street lights are to be replaced like this, I imagine the overall effect to local light pollution will be very substantial. However, I guess the new lamps will stop existing light-pollution filters being effective?

Does anyone have any experience of similar schemes elsewhere?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys are lucky the local Authorities usually don,t give a dam regarding light pollution etc especially Epsom counsel rates are way to high will not even fix a pot hole in the road lol mind you after 1:00am that dreaded light goes off in alley way three doors down it’s amazing how just one lamp or street light can make the world of difference would,nt it be nice just for one night only the whole uk would turn all the lights off in the uk!? Can only dream about that one think you will find your 10”scope will gain a aperture or to theoretically speaking of course however the only good thing I’ve noticed with this COVID-19 epidemic I’ve noticed cleaner clearer sky’s anyway a lot less pollution and also light pollution as no major office blocks burning unesscery energy 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 27/04/2020 at 14:05, Swoop1 said:

This is what I wrote. It was via the general contact form on their website-

I am trying to make contact with the department responsible for street lighting but you contact form keeps defaulting to the comments page which is frustrating.

I wish to ask that shrouds be installed on 2 street lights in Marlow- lamp 7 on Dean Street and lamp 1 on Wethered Road. This is to reduce light pollution in my rear garden which is preventing me enjoying my hobby- astronomical photography. The light at night is badly affecting the images I am taking. Thanks.

 

Their response was to identify to me the correct department for my enquiry and to forward it on. I then got a reply from the correct department (Transport for Buckinghamshire) to say the the Dean Street lamp was correclty shrouded but they would fit a shroud to the Dean Street lamp, which they subsequently did.

 

I am about to thank them for this and ask them to revisit the other lamp as the light is very bright from where I image and observe.

I have got a positive response from asking them to reconsider the other lamp. A larger shroud has been fitted which has reduced the light spill in my direction. It is still there but not as bad. A result as far as I am concerned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.