SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Considering new mount. Preferably with encoders.

Datalord

5 minutes ago, Datalord said:

yeah, the CPWI software is really, really good. I love it, actually. Just as much as I dislike the ASA software. But it means nothing when the guide error makes even 180s at 620mm fl shots unusable. Meanwhile, 1200s is working perfectly at 2400mm fl on the ASA. You get what you pay for.

I can get between 60-120 ish. Unguided with my hyperstar/AVX set up. (not screaming with happiness of that.) 

Was going to upgrade to another mount. But got "fever". Due to nights is vanishing here. So I got a Solarscope to play with. During the summer months. :) 

Ive got the impression CGX is a fairly good mount. Ofcoarse not up to premium ones. But had that one, as a possible upgrade. 

14 minutes ago, Rocket Stars said:

I can get between 60-120 ish. Unguided with my hyperstar/AVX set up. (not screaming with happiness of that.) 

Was going to upgrade to another mount. But got "fever". Due to nights is vanishing here. So I got a Solarscope to play with. During the summer months. :) 

Ive got the impression CGX is a fairly good mount. Ofcoarse not up to premium ones. But had that one, as a possible upgrade. 

don't buy a CGX. If you insist, I have a used one you can buy for a reasonable price. 😆

The Crux Harmonic Drive mounts certainly look interesting. You could always drop Rupert a line see if he has any suggestions.

ATM my ASA software is behaving itself and doing everything it should, including autofocus. Haven't added full automation yet though.

22 hours ago, Datalord said:

eDIT:

Fornax 52. Formidable contender!

Used Mesu 200. Sounds like a very possible option.

TTS-160. Atl-Az with a rotator. I don't want that complication.

Vixen AXJ. 22kg payload is too little for my liking.

iOptron in general. I was woo'ed by them previously, but I worry a lot about the software side. They seem to have quite a few issues all around.

GM1000HPS. Can use my existing tripod? Puts it back in the budget range.

Crux 200HD. £8k, but serious reviews and performance.

Just to note the TTS-160 is also quoted as being for 22kg, so if this is bare minimum then it is something to consider.  

As an aside if you are willing to look at used, then an Astro-physics AP900 may be worth considering (but no encoders). 

Unfortunately everything is expensive at the moment because of the exchange rate so don't expect that to improve in the near term.

The issues with iOptron seem to be more related to their encoders.  People seem happy with the non-encoder versions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaveS said:

The Crux Harmonic Drive mounts certainly look interesting. You could always drop Rupert a line see if he has any suggestions.

ATM my ASA software is behaving itself and doing everything it should, including autofocus. Haven't added full automation yet though.

Autofocus is missing bit for me. I never got it to be better than me looking at the image and detecting a tiny eccentricity in either direction. Usually I have to move the focuser about 50 steps to fix it, which is less than an autofocus session will do for me.

On 25/04/2020 at 20:29, Datalord said:

Requirements: RASA11 plus extras ~22kg. Tripod. Prefer encoders. Direct drive is a dream at this budget. 

Budget: £6000ish. plus minus a few £k.

Mesu 200. No encoders. No stock to be found.

Paramount My-T. £8k including tripod and no encoders. That's a bit steep. The payload is quoted at 22.6kg, so it is also very borderline for the RASA.

EQ-8Rh. RA encoders.

10Micron GM1000HPS. encoders on both axis, a safe bet from pure performance point of view. But £7.6k and a ridiculous extra £2k for the tripod. £2,000 for a tripod. Had to repeat that on

Fornax 52. Formidable contender!

Used Mesu 200. Sounds like a very possible option.

GM1000HPS. Can use my existing tripod? Puts it back in the budget range.

Crux 200HD. £8k, but serious reviews and performance.

I am in the middle of adding all ...

don't forget RASA 11 + 5kg base - 25kg  - so straight away you are away from hps/SB/Avalon...

Spending that much money - for me - i don't want to be on the weight limit - just don't cos it will not work and you will blame everything else but not your bad decision.

ABS sale - 25years old MESU for 4k? are you kidding? Get a new one - £5.5k - 6-8 weeks, it is heavy.

Forget EQ8/Ioptron - not if you can get something else

Crux - they have 170 out- or out very soon

BTW: you can use any tripod on any mount - is all about the adaptor - and your local can cut out for you -just find out what "the" tripod can take SWL.

Greg

• 1 month later...
On 30/04/2020 at 19:32, Gorr_77 said:

Crux - they have 170 out- or out very soon

This is a name I hadn't seen before. Harmonic drives ooooooooh ;)
However the 170HD only has an imaging load of 18kg and still requires guiding.

Zero backlash is a genuine benefit. But at £5k+ ? It is still competing in the EQ6 class

Edited by pete_l

I should update this thread.

I managed to get myself talked into a GM1000 being the only sane choice, but then I looked at my budget and concluded that I probably shouldn't do anything at all. Until by chance a used GM2000 QCI + upgrade package + tripod for £6k, exactly my budget. So I'm waiting for delivery on that baby.

The GM2000 doesn't have encoders, but it has a 50kg payload and everything tells me it will perform great!

• Like 1

On 31/05/2020 at 13:09, Datalord said:

I should update this thread.

I managed to get myself talked into a GM1000 being the only sane choice, but then I looked at my budget and concluded that I probably shouldn't do anything at all. Until by chance a used GM2000 QCI + upgrade package + tripod for £6k, exactly my budget. So I'm waiting for delivery on that baby.

The GM2000 doesn't have encoders, but it has a 50kg payload and everything tells me it will perform great!

Intelligent decision. CEM 120EC and EC2 still are plagued with encoder problems and that is going on for more then a year. Ask me why I know it. I have two of these CEM 120EC2 paperweights ... and no money to get something decent but that is my goal for next year.Scrap the two CEM 120EC2 and get another reliable brand.

12 minutes ago, Rainer said:

Intelligent decision. CEM 120EC and EC2 still are plagued with encoder problems and that is going on for more then a year. Ask me why I know it. I have two of these CEM 120EC2 paperweights ... and no money to get something decent but that is my goal for next year.Scrap the two CEM 120EC2 and get another reliable brand.

Wow, that's a lot of money tied in holding paper down. I really feel for you. The mounts are no good doing regular guided tracking?

On 01/06/2020 at 16:10, Datalord said:

Wow, that's a lot of money tied in holding paper down. I really feel for you. The mounts are no good doing regular guided tracking?

Biggest problem is the newest firmware is introducing a periodic error with +-90" arcseconds and it can nor be guided out do I need to use an older firmware and that one does not correct the SDE of the encoders ... SDE = Sub-divisional error ... and iOptron does NOTHING !

Newest firmware dated 191120

Old firmware ( the slight drift in RA = horizontal is normal )

Edited by Rainer

On 01/06/2020 at 21:53, Rainer said:

Sorry Rainer, but you are wrong my 120EC is guiding at between 0.18 and 0.29RMS now, I think the issue you had was related to the EC2 and was exacerbated by poor dealer support in Mexico, not something I have experienced with UK dealers: -

image.thumb.png.9e94dc8f45ba82b0de844027060f0692.png

Edited by Jkulin
typos
  • Like 1

On 31/05/2020 at 19:09, Datalord said:

Until by chance a used GM2000 QCI + upgrade package + tripod for £6k, exactly my budget. So I'm waiting for delivery on that baby.

Where did you find this baby??????

used astro market is going crazy! - people selling their old stuff for the price of the new ones!!!! 

Ive seen TAK 106 -  1 decade old! for 4.5K!!!!!

Anyways... enjoy :)

3 hours ago, Gorr_77 said:

Where did you find this baby??????

used astro market is going crazy! - people selling their old stuff for the price of the new ones!!!! 

Ive seen TAK 106 -  1 decade old! for 4.5K!!!!!

Anyways... enjoy :)

It was dumped in my lap by Rupert from Astrograph. I think one of his other customers upgraded and had this one up for sale.

I have the 10 Micron 1000 HPS and I have used my 132mm WO plus SXAO and QSI 683wsg and various electronic boxes  bolted on it. Total 24Kg on the mount. It handled it all without any problems at all. So the 2000 QCI should be a dream mount if you can get it upgraded. I would say you got a great deal there.

I use a Altair Astro Starbase mount which when I bought it was around £600 if I remember correctly. Can take just about any weight you can think of, but unfortunately are out of production now. If you see a second hand one grab it, that is if you are not going for a pier.

Derek

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Sorry Rainer, but you are wrong my 120EC is guiding at between 0.18 and 0.29RMS now, I think the issue you had was related to the EC2 and was exacerbated by poor dealer support in Mexico, not something I have experienced with UK dealers: -

image.thumb.png.9e94dc8f45ba82b0de844027060f0692.png

Hi John,

No, I am not wrong and BTW

and was exacerbated by poor dealer support in Mexico,

there is no dealer of iOptron in Mexico so I have been dealing directly with the poor iOptron support in Woburn, Massachussets, USA.  !

and

... my 120EC is guiding at between 0.18 and 0.29RMS now ...

Good for you and consider yourself over all very Lucky. There are many cases of iOptron  CEM 120EC or EC2 mounts which do NOT work. So do not try to cover up the Sun with a finger.

You know the stories very well ...

have a nice day ...  👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rainer said:

Hi John,

No, I am not wrong and BTW

there is no dealer of iOptron in Mexico so I have been dealing directly with the poor iOptron support in Woburn, Massachussets, USA.  !

and

Good for you and consider yourself over all very Lucky. There are many cases of iOptron  CEM 120EC or EC2 mounts which do NOT work. So do not try to cover up the Sun with a finger.

You know the stories very well ...

have a nice day ...  👍

Sorry Rainer I totally disagree, anybody I have spoken to in the UK extols the virtues of the 120EC that includes 3 friends as well, having owned 3 iOptrons now I can only speak highly about them and in the right hands work superbly.

1 hour ago, Datalord said:

you mean, get encoders on it?

Yes  I mean if you can get encoders retrofitted. Whatever it should be a really great mount. I believe even without encoders itshould be capable of around +- 7arcseconds or so even without PE corrections.

Derek

In the UK the 10 Micron will be the better option. It would be either that or wait for the Mach2 to get through the waiting list and order one from the States. There are other tripod options for the 10 Micron that do not involve £2,000 for a tripod. For example the Avalon TPod 130.

• 2 weeks later...