Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Edinburgh

Pixies

Hi there.

I have just joined after lurking for several years.  Don't have a scope - just an pair of 10x50 bins which I use regularly and occasionally with a tripod, if I feel like observing something a bit fainter.

Have been thinking about getting a scope for years, and recently having come into a bit more disposable income, decided to go for it - just to find that the Skyliner 200p Dobsonian is now sold-out everywhere! Oh well....

Anyway - 'hi' again. Look out for my noob posts appearing in various 'Beginners' forums. Although, I like to think I know my way around the sky a little better than most (not including you, good readers).

Neil.

• Like 3

Hi Neil,

I've been at this astronomy lark for more than ten years and I hardly know my way around the night sky at all, I use books and such to find stuff but most of it doesn't stick in my memory. 

I highly recommend buying a good quality instrument with your disposable income while you have it, I might see you in the buying advice forums!

Hi Neil. The 200 is a great scope but be prepared that it is a bit bulky if you are transporting it anywhere!

I'm just up the road in Macmerry, East Lothian so if you need a hand with anything or a observing partner give me a shout 👍👍👍

P.s I also have the sw 200 so if you want to see what it looks like in the flesh then happy to oblige.

Edited by popeye85

14 hours ago, popeye85 said:

Hi Neil. The 200 is a great scope but be prepared that it is a bit bulky if you are transporting it anywhere!

I'm just up the road in Macmerry, East Lothian so if you need a hand with anything or a observing partner give me a shout 👍👍👍

P.s I also have the sw 200 so if you want to see what it looks like in the flesh then happy to oblige.

Cheers PopEye,

I have an old campervan - so transport won't be an issue. This lockdown might be for a while, though.

But thanks for the offer of help. There's no Skyliner 200Ps available anywhere for love or money, though. So I might consider a Bresser Messier 200 instead. A little more expensive, but a nicer focuser, I believe.

Hi Neil and a warm welcome!

I grew up in Edinburgh within sight of the Royal Observatory and miss it very much. If I remember correctly, the local Astro Club has a very good Dark Site near Eddlestone just off the A703 Peebles Road  - what I wouldn't give to visit a similar spot at the moment!!!