SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Raspberry PI4 - Astroberry Server

Doug64

Hi,

My new Raspberry PI4 has just arrived and I am in the process of trying to set it up using Astroberry and the beginners guide by Ian (X6gas).  Thanks Ian.

I have managed to get the Astroberry softeware onto my Micro SD card and I loaded this into the RPI4 and have turned it on.  I am trying to set everything up without a monitor, keyboard or mouse using my laptop.  When I turned the RPI4 on I was able to find the Astroberry hotspot and when I signed into this I got the following which I hope is correct.

1158362695_Astoberry4.thumb.png.774708a26bf44b546327770a3edd4e08.png

I then went to the start-up page and connected to Astroberry and I have been having a look around the homepage getting  myself acquainted with it.  When I click on items under Preferences etc another box opens up but this is always to the right hand side of my screen and partly out of sight.   I then have to drag and drop the box into the middle of my screen so I can see it properly.  Can this be fixed and if so, how do I go about doing it. 

I've attached an image below to show what I mean.

Editor.thumb.jpg.cb9ed59a0f77b66b0051dc3a89eb031b.jpg

I've also found that I have to keep using the password to open certain items and after I've updated them, is there a way to turn the password protection off etc .

Thanks for your help with this, I can see this is going to be a very big learning kerb for me but I'm determined to get it sorted so I can control my telescope.

Thanks again

Doug

Edited by Doug64

Hi,

I've resolved the issue with the pop up boxes not being fully on the screen, I had to adjust the screen resolution.

Still having to put password everywhere and after changing password in the software I now have to use 2 different passwords

I cannot get Astroberry to work from the 'Astroberry Hotspot' without a monitor, keyboard or mouse.  I can sometimes get into the software and when I do I change the settings as per the setup guide to try and get the software/RPI to use my home wireless internet.,  Having added my SSID and internet password the software states that it needs to re-boot.  I then try the reboot and it then looks like my RPI/software crashes  It does not reload Astroberry, the network settings don't show on my computer, hotspot and wireless connection missing and I cannot get the software to work.  I end up having to re-format the micros SD and start again. 

I've tried about 5 times and have now given up or I'll end up kicking the RPI across the room :(.  I've ordered a HDMI cable and I'm going to give it a go using a monitor, keyboard, mouse etc when it arrives which will take about a week.

If this doesn't work then I'll have to try something else, this has been a terrible first day.

Doug

Astroberry works fine without a keyboard.monitor etc either by using MSDOS type access called SSH or by using REMOTE access via a Web browser or by using REALVNC viewer.

My advice to you is :

1. Recreate the SD card from the Astroberry full Image

2. Do not change anything - especially passwords - at this stage

3. Connect to the HOTSPOT 10.42.0.1 (normally) or use the Ethernet connection to your normal Hub/Router and use the address allocated by your home system.. You can add another wireless AP (e.g. Home) but you need to understand how PI looks for and in what order it uses wireless connections - this is done by giving a "priority/order number" and works very well. But you are still learning so "slowly slowly catchy monkey" as they say - hence using wired and/or hotspot connections do not interfere with each other. 

4. Change your Screen Resolution - note using the Realvnc viewer (Both Astroberry NOVNC and Realvnc viewer use the inbuilt standard PI REALVNC SERVER you can do a temp change from within the Viewer to fit onto your remote screens resolution. Realvnc has been round many many years on Linux and Windows. Novnc is normally fine to use and not heard of any problems.

5. Get used to using the PI and its commands first - it is a steep learning curve but most people get use to it in the end.

6. Go slowly with adding kit ,checking at each stage if the kit being added is working correctly - do it during the day if possible. 

7. You can get a "dummy" HMDI plug (£5ish on ebay) which fools the PI into thinking a monitor is connected but you shouldn't need one.

The route you have chosen for whatever reason is not the easiest ,as I say a steep learning curve, and maybe you should look at either Stellarmate or ASAIR(pro) for ease of use. This is not meant to be patronising but you have to understand the beast you are dealing with and perhaps your own patience/abilities - if you like "fun" or tinkering then fine plenty of help on Indi Lib site and some here.

Hope that helps a bit and Good Luck with your new endeavour 🙂

8 hours ago, stash_old said:

Astroberry works fine without a keyboard.monitor etc either by using MSDOS type access called SSH or by using REMOTE access via a Web browser or by using REALVNC viewer.

My advice to you is :

1. Recreate the SD card from the Astroberry full Image

2. Do not change anything - especially passwords - at this stage

3. Connect to the HOTSPOT 10.42.0.1 (normally) or use the Ethernet connection to your normal Hub/Router and use the address allocated by your home system.. You can add another wireless AP (e.g. Home) but you need to understand how PI looks for and in what order it uses wireless connections - this is done by giving a "priority/order number" and works very well. But you are still learning so "slowly slowly catchy monkey" as they say - hence using wired and/or hotspot connections do not interfere with each other. 

4. Change your Screen Resolution - note using the Realvnc viewer (Both Astroberry NOVNC and Realvnc viewer use the inbuilt standard PI REALVNC SERVER you can do a temp change from within the Viewer to fit onto your remote screens resolution. Realvnc has been round many many years on Linux and Windows. Novnc is normally fine to use and not heard of any problems.

5. Get used to using the PI and its commands first - it is a steep learning curve but most people get use to it in the end.

6. Go slowly with adding kit ,checking at each stage if the kit being added is working correctly - do it during the day if possible. 

7. You can get a "dummy" HMDI plug (£5ish on ebay) which fools the PI into thinking a monitor is connected but you shouldn't need one.

The route you have chosen for whatever reason is not the easiest ,as I say a steep learning curve, and maybe you should look at either Stellarmate or ASAIR(pro) for ease of use. This is not meant to be patronising but you have to understand the beast you are dealing with and perhaps your own patience/abilities - if you like "fun" or tinkering then fine plenty of help on Indi Lib site and some here.

Hope that helps a bit and Good Luck with your new endeavour 🙂

Thanks for the lengthy reply.

I purchased the RPI4 and other items for it  having done some research which I now think may have been wrong:(.

I want to use the RPI 4 to control my mount and imaging rig, my initial intention was to place the RPI 4 at the mount and control it from my laptop in the house  over an ethernet cable and on the odd occasion when out in the field from my tablet.  Now I just want to get the thing working so I haven't wasted my money.

Having done my research I believed a RPI 4 with Astroberry Server would be the way for me to proceed.  I did have a look at ASIAIR but my research showed that this would only control Zwo Cameras and I use other types.  I also looked at Stellar Mate but this just appeared to be a RPI with some licensed software on it and I thought I could do this by purchasing the RPI 4 and putting Astroberry Server onto it.  I also read that Stellar Mate was based on a RPI3+ and I thought a RPI 4 would be better.  I also looked at using a NUC but the cost put me off a little.

I have now purchased having looked at peoples reviews etc the RPI 4 (4gb), Flirc Case, RPI power adaptor, 250gb SSD Drive and adaptor  and a 15m Ethernet Cable.  I also have the official RPI HDMI cable on route but this will take about a week.

When I first read up on this I saw the beginners guide on this forum and thought I would be able to give it a go, as stated I cannot even get past stage 1 and think I may have made a terrible mistake.  I have plenty of time on my hands due to the lockdown and the fact that I am semi-retired and I don't mind doing research and learning but everything I trty to do to get the RPI and Astroberry working fails and I end up having to re-format the micro SD card and try again.

For some reason when I load the SD card into the RPI and switch it on my computer does not see the hotspot created by the RPI and therefore I cannot access Astroberry.  On the odd occasdion it will allow me to access Astroberry  but once I'm there I am unable to do anything else as the RPI/software appears to crash.

I'll keep trying to see what I can do.

Thanks again 

Doug

Edited by Doug64

Hi,

Just a quick question If I attach the RPI to my router by an ethernet cable and start it up for the first time do you know what settings I'll need to change to access Astroberry.

Doug

Edited by Doug64

39 minutes ago, Doug64 said:

Hi,

Just a quick question If I attach the RPI to my router by an ethernet cable and start it up for the first time do you know what settings I'll need to change to access Astroberry.

Doug

If you mean the IP network address - no thats down to your router - most will allow displaying of attached devices and therefore you will see your Astroberry. The address will not be 10.42.0.1 which is reserved for the hotspot which if you connect by ethernet wired cable should still appear and be 10.42.0.1 as you can have both connected. I use this to update my PI as the Wired route is far faster than even 5ghz wireless. You could try http://astroberry.local which may work (90% depending on your router set up)

It's as simple as this:

• Start your Raspberry Pi with the flashed microSD card.
  • Connect to an Astroberry Wireless Hotspot (default password is astroberry)
  • Point your browser to http://astroberry.local or http://IP_ADDRESS
  • Click Connect button to access Astroberry Server
  • Connect to Astroberry desktop (default password is astroberry)

There should be no problem with connecting to your RPI4 (assuming it ok hardware wise) and the easiest way is you use the "full image" from Astroberry Web site and NOT the raspbian buster std image from PI site - the latter would need to be update with Astroberry. The full image is from here https://www.astroberry.io and the link is straight after the word Dowdload "astroberry Server" in yellow (4th line down). DO NOT use the instructions from further down thats for experienced users. 

Stellarmate / Astroberry/ ASair all share 90% what is called Indi software as there base  - just that Asair has a better thought out front end  and last time I looked it didn't connect to non ZWO kit,as you say,except DSLR's I am informed.

The thing to remember on the first start up is to give it time to do some initial housekeeping and maybe refresh your WiFi scan on your external device.

Plus use the "better" SD cards from Samsung or Sandisk they are faster and IME give less trouble - so something like this https://www.picstop.co.uk/microsd-sdhc/sandisk-ultra-micro-sdhc-memory-card-98mbs-class-10-for-android-16gb.html 

The approach you mention to attach the PI to your mount , control it and your image rig is no problem normally but it does depend of your kit ?????

P.S. You must have done it right once as your screen prints prove 🙂  The screen resolution is not really a problem - just knowing how to change is for new users.

If you need any more answers just type away 🙂

Edited by stash_old

19 hours ago, stash_old said:

If you mean the IP network address - no thats down to your router - most will allow displaying of attached devices and therefore you will see your Astroberry. The address will not be 10.42.0.1 which is reserved for the hotspot which if you connect by ethernet wired cable should still appear and be 10.42.0.1 as you can have both connected. I use this to update my PI as the Wired route is far faster than even 5ghz wireless. You could try http://astroberry.local which may work (90% depending on your router set up)

It's as simple as this:

• Start your Raspberry Pi with the flashed microSD card.
  • Connect to an Astroberry Wireless Hotspot (default password is astroberry)
  • Point your browser to http://astroberry.local or http://IP_ADDRESS
  • Click Connect button to access Astroberry Server
  • Connect to Astroberry desktop (default password is astroberry)

There should be no problem with connecting to your RPI4 (assuming it ok hardware wise) and the easiest way is you use the "full image" from Astroberry Web site and NOT the raspbian buster std image from PI site - the latter would need to be update with Astroberry. The full image is from here https://www.astroberry.io and the link is straight after the word Dowdload "astroberry Server" in yellow (4th line down). DO NOT use the instructions from further down thats for experienced users. 

Stellarmate / Astroberry/ ASair all share 90% what is called Indi software as there base  - just that Asair has a better thought out front end  and last time I looked it didn't connect to non ZWO kit,as you say,except DSLR's I am informed.

The thing to remember on the first start up is to give it time to do some initial housekeeping and maybe refresh your WiFi scan on your external device.

Plus use the "better" SD cards from Samsung or Sandisk they are faster and IME give less trouble - so something like this https://www.picstop.co.uk/microsd-sdhc/sandisk-ultra-micro-sdhc-memory-card-98mbs-class-10-for-android-16gb.html 

The approach you mention to attach the PI to your mount , control it and your image rig is no problem normally but it does depend of your kit ?????

P.S. You must have done it right once as your screen prints prove 🙂  The screen resolution is not really a problem - just knowing how to change is for new users.

If you need any more answers just type away 🙂

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I have the time, I like some "FUN" and I have a little patience so I'll continue to give it a go.

The SD card I'm using is a 16gb Panasonic Micro SDHC Card class 10 which I think is fairly fast and a decent brand.

If I understand this correctly what I need to do is get everything sorted so that the RPI produces the Astroberry hotspot when it is turned on.  I will then be able to see the hotspot on my laptop and connect to it.  Once connected to the hotspot I can then connect to 'Astroberry Server' and in the future I will hopefully be able to control my equipment etc provided it is set up properly. 

On my mount I have the powered USB 3.0 hub and I will connect the USB cable from this to the RPI and then I'll have an ethernet cable running from the RPI to my laptop in the house. 

I will need to set up both the RPI and laptop so they communicate with each other over the ethernet cable, I think this is where a 'ssh' file comes in and some sort of viewing software such as Realvnc. 

I will also need some way of connecting my RPI to my internet to download updates etc and this is where I set everything up so I can connect the RPI to my home internet again using the ethernet cable or wireless internet (if I get it working). 

Are you able to confirm that this is correct so I can get it straight in my head and I know what my aims are and then I can break them down to achieve each one.

Thanks

Doug

2 hours ago, Doug64 said:

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I have the time, I like some "FUN" and I have a little patience so I'll continue to give it a go.

The SD card I'm using is a 16gb Panasonic Micro SDHC Card class 10 which I think is fairly fast and a decent brand.

If I understand this correctly what I need to do is get everything sorted so that the RPI produces the Astroberry hotspot when it is turned on.  I will then be able to see the hotspot on my laptop and connect to it.  Once connected to the hotspot I can then connect to 'Astroberry Server' and in the future I will hopefully be able to control my equipment etc provided it is set up properly. 

On my mount I have the powered USB 3.0 hub and I will connect the USB cable from this to the RPI and then I'll have an ethernet cable running from the RPI to my laptop in the house. 

I will need to set up both the RPI and laptop so they communicate with each other over the ethernet cable, I think this is where a 'ssh' file comes in and some sort of viewing software such as Realvnc. 

I will also need some way of connecting my RPI to my internet to download updates etc and this is where I set everything up so I can connect the RPI to my home internet again using the ethernet cable or wireless internet (if I get it working). 

Are you able to confirm that this is correct so I can get it straight in my head and I know what my aims are and then I can break them down to achieve each one.

Thanks

Doug

1. USB 3.0 powered hub - should be no problem and depending on H/W you will need it - poor old PI has a lot of amps.

2. The Ethernet route is the best for speed AND it can be connected at anytime even if you are using the HOTSPOT. If the wired Ethernet is connected to your home network then it will get Internet be default as your home network will assign the correct details to the PI.

3. You only need the HOTSPOT if you :-

a. Have to use wireless "in the field"

or

b. You want to use wireless at home (and not Ethernet wired) and your HOME wireless isn't strong or reliable enough

In either case no internet.

4. SSH is really used as a problem solver - it just gives you "MSDOS" command line type commands. 

5. If you run a wired connect from from your PI really it would be simpler to connect it into your home network - Not impossible without just simpler. Once connected tou will be able to use the same commands as your would with the HOTSPOT - so VNC or Astroberry Web browser NOVNC will connect to the PI from your Laptop and show you the PI desktop at which time you can do everything you want to do.

6. As I stated before you can add your "Home" wireless SSID to the PI BUT bear in mind this will always be attached automatically when the Home wireless network is within range. You can stop this by giving a "order no" to each Wireless SSD set up in PI and PI will try and connect in that order (lowest number first). So if you wont ever need to use the HOTSPOT add your Home Wireless and make it the first to attach via the "order no".

As you have been asking the questions on Indilib forum I will ignore any further requests as it is the better route to use anyway 🙂 

Hi,

I'd like to thank you very much for your help, it has been much appreciated.

With all the help it looks like I have now managed to connect to the RPI to the internet by plugging the Ethernet cable into it from my router, this appears to be much more stable than using the Wi-Fi hotspot created by the RPI. 

I have also managed some updates and I will hopefully be able to enjoy it more and see if it will do what I want.

No doubt I will have more questions as I start to set the RPI up but I will ask these on Indilib forum.

Thanks again for all your help 

Doug