SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SN2020fqv - in NGC 4568

CKemu

960606509_NGC4568SupernovaSN2020fqv.thumb.jpg.3ffc8ccf6c2063a0418011cedb79a556.jpg

SN2020zqv - discovered by the Zwicky Transient Facility at the Palomar Observatory in California on the 31st of March this year.

This is my photograph of the event, taken tonight. I have marked the nova in the main image and the zoomed insert. (Host galaxy is 4568, nova is around mag 15)

Image is 14x600s exposures in Red using my ATIK414ex. Conditions where poor, cloud and 25 mph gusts of wind made tracking a pain. Also my ATIK414ex has developed a grim flaw in it's imaging sensor, so I cropped that out.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Erling G-P said:

Very cool!  Which scope did you use for the image ?  Would like to have a go at it myself, but if you used the Meade, there's probably not much point, as the target will be too small for my 200mm Newton

Ahh, sorry - I should have mentioned the scope in the post - I used the Esprit 100ED - so this is the view with a 550 mm focal length. Good luck giving it a go and clear skies!

52 minutes ago, CKemu said:

Ahh, sorry - I should have mentioned the scope in the post - I used the Esprit 100ED - so this is the view with a 550 mm focal length. Good luck giving it a go and clear skies!

Super, thanks!  Will see if I can get it within my viewing window, but Virgo may be outside it unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Erling G-P said:

Managed to bag it, despite a very limited window towards Virgo :)

28 x 3 minutes = 84 minutes total.

SW 200PDS w/ SW 0.9 CC & Canon 700Da cooled.

NGC 4568a crop-denoise pointer.jpg

1 hour ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Very nice, it surprising how even smaller scopes with shortish exposures can capture mag 15 supernovae. I managed this one in just 33 minutes with a 6" scope

SN2020fqvmarked.thumb.jpg.f5e7d76b9991533abb521ee45f97cea8.jpg

This is just a crop

Absolutely stunning results from you both, and it really is amazing that a mag 15 nova can be captured with reasonably small scopes from galaxies 60 million light years away! Fantastic work! Glad to see other peoples shots of this nova.

• Like 1