SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newbie looking for advice/recommendations...

Hi all,

I'm looking to get my first telescope for observations and astrophotography. I'm new to telescopes other than owning a refractor 'toy' telescope as a child. I've been looking at the Sky Watcher 130 / 130M / 130P / 130P DS as I've seen positive reviews, but also conflicting information on using an dSLR (I have a Nikon D7100). Does anyone here have experience using these instruments with a dSLR that could offer some advice? 

Many thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Out of listed models, only 130PDS is really suited for astrophotography and consequently the least suitable for visual observation. Although two don't exclude each other - tweaks that benefit in one field - sometimes slightly degrade performance in the other - in this case, 130PDS has the largest secondary obstruction of the lineup (to be able to fully illuminate photographic field).

In any case - if you are looking to do astrophotography - two starter tips:

1. it is really, really expensive hobby

2. put all of your energy and funds into getting solid equatorial mount

Btw - there is a hole thread dedicated to imaging with 130PDS scope here: