How many satellite trails can you fit on one 500 sec image???

SlimPaling

The attached image shows what I found on a single 500 second exposure last night ..... if you look carefully you should see 8 parallel satellite tracks!!!

Is this the end of astro-imaging????

Do I sell my kit now ?

Mike

8 satellite trails on one 500sec exposure!!!.jpg

• Sad 2

All the complaining about satellites nowadays is mostly hysteria, it's nothing to worry about for regular astrophotographers.

Personally i never throw out images with satellites.

Here's a stack of Abell 1656 from the other day of a bunch of 120s images, this is stacked to show all the satellittes and other garbage.

picturemessage_knd5os2u_uni.thumb.png.055c813eb6337a6f5976a463376c9114.png

Here is the same data stacked to remove satellite trails and other garbage, it's processed a little, but there's no trace of any satellites because they are rejected during stacking because their trails are seen as outlier pixels.
Screenshot_121.png.fd5f1967a01cb34691ee38d923d58c4b.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Xplode said:

All the complaining about satellites nowadays is mostly hysteria, it's nothing to worry about for regular astrophotographers.

Personally i never throw out images with satellites.

Here's a stack of Abell 1656 from the other day of a bunch of 120s images, this is stacked to show all the satellittes and other garbage.

picturemessage_knd5os2u_uni.thumb.png.055c813eb6337a6f5976a463376c9114.png

Here is the same data stacked to remove satellite trails and other garbage, it's processed a little, but there's no trace of any satellites because they are rejected during stacking because their trails are seen as outlier pixels.

Hi Ole ...

Can I ask what software you are using to remove the tails? PixInsight maybe???

Mike

Oh, that's all right then.

Twinkle twinkle satellite

Wizzing by and oh so bright

More and more your numbers grow

Hundreds, thousands - don't you know?

Though they'll spoil our view at night 

At least we'll have our Pixinsight. 😞 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/04/2020 at 15:34, Xplode said:

Yes Pixinsight does a great job at removing satellite trails :)

Hi again Ole ..

I have a batch of LRGB images that I am hoping to find time to process soon .... I can see that at least 30%+ have got satellite trails.

I am a bit of a novice with PixInsight ( at the minute) ..... so can I ask if PI will remove all ( or much reduce ) all of these trails using the " Image_Integration" process in PI??? Or are there more processes that I need to consider along the way???

If the "Image_Integration" process is the main option in PI to remove the rails ... what settings do I need to look out for to give me the best results?

Cheers Mike

15 minutes ago, SlimPaling said:

Hi again Ole ..

I have a batch of LRGB images that I am hoping to find time to process soon .... I can see that at least 30%+ have got satellite trails.

I am a bit of a novice with PixInsight ( at the minute) ..... so can I ask if PI will remove all ( or much reduce ) all of these trails using the " Image_Integration" process in PI??? Or are there more processes that I need to consider along the way???

If the "Image_Integration" process is the main option in PI to remove the rails ... what settings do I need to look out for to give me the best results?

Cheers Mike

Yes they will normally be gone if you have enough images and use the right settings, you will want to change the rejection algorithm to this.
image.png.dfd771b7dc5bdd0e9dfad30aa73ce07f.png

8 images is minimum for this algorithm, but it's best with 20+

If some trails are still left you can try to change Sigma low/high, don't remember which one does what, but you'll figure it out.

image.png.3a1ed5e277911d67f1be50b7c9f8ae24.png