Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ5 Pro goto polar scope problem

Bigwings

Bought this mount nearly new .When I look through the polar scope the markings seem to be upside down like I am looking through it from the wrong side.

Is it factory fitted ? Can it be fitted the wrong way?

Not used to EQ mounts having just moved from AltAz and Dobs.

Thanks

Is it the type that has a little bubble on the large circle for Polaris or the type that looks like a clock??......and yes, they are regularly fitted by the factory incorrectly

Edited by Jiggy 67

I've got the same mount as you (EQ5 Pro) and my polar scope also had the markings upside down. My polarscope has the new precision engraving pattern as per Tomatobro's second image. Essentially, I don't think it matters which way around the markings are. If you disregard the numbers and just align based on position using something like PolarFinder on Android (or an Apple store equiv) and use the StarAdventurer reticle type then you should be ok. At least that's what I used to do and it seems to work fine for me.

That being said, I couldn't keep looking at it with the numbers being upside down and decided to do something about it. In the end I was able to turn it around by essentially taking it apart and rotating the lens that has the markings on but it was a pain to do and certainly isn't something I'd do again if I got another mount with the same issue.

Unrelated, the other problem that I quickly ran into was that the EQ5 Pro has no polar illumination so when it's dark you have to shine a light across the top opening of the polar finder otherwise you can't see the engraving. I got one of these and although there not perfect as they've got no proper power switch, they made the process much easier https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/polar-illuminator-for-eq3-2eq5-mounts.html.

• 4 weeks later...

Its fairly easy to twist the glass with the print.  And maybe at the same time align it with the homeposition. 

make sure the mount is in absolute home position, counterweight bar facing down.

The polarscope has an focusing/eyepieces, a short shaft with 3 hex screws, two black rings with a flat screw and then the metal scaleplate. The last black ring has a white mark on it.  

Make sure the polarscope is fitted tight in the mount.

Loosening the flat screw of the whitemark ring lets you twist the ring (for the referencepoint later on), and face the white mark perfectly up, and tighten the flat screw again. 

now remove the whole polarscope from the mount and, with the eyepiece facing up, remove the eyepiece completely.

You can now see a round flat glass, in metal ring, inside the polarscope-tube with the print on it. Just slightly loosening the 3 hex screws, on the polarscope shaft, is enough for getting this printed glass in metal ring out of the tube.  Remember the 3 hex screws are for a correct centered polarscope, so loosen every screw the same amount to stay a bit accurate later on when calibrating again.

If the print is correct then just align “0” on the clock-print with the previous reference point (white mark on black ring). If the print is twisted then take out the whole glass and twist it.  

when you put everything in place, the polarscope needs to be calibrated again with the 3 hex screws.  Point the center of the crosshair at polaris and check if it stays centered when rotating on the ra axis.  

15BBA3BA-2CE3-4EE4-83F9-17DE9EB0A9DF.jpeg

Edited by Robindonne