sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Hi,

I haven't posted on here for a long time and have probably got the wrong discussion thread, however,

I dug out my scope and mount the other day and once mounted I over balanced and the the whole rig fell on top of me in a very slow and controlled fashion(!).  Where everything seems fine the a small metal ring with a nodule inside was snapped and dropped out of the focusser.  As such unless the set up is in it's "starting position" then the rack and pinion set up inside the focusser won't work and I have to hold the tube manually. Not ideal.

As it happens I want to sell my scope (a Skywatcher 200p) but would like to know if the Crayford can be fixed by either me or a shop and if anyone had any idea of the cost of a repair.

Sorry for adding a mundane question but when I started viewing this site was an inexhaustible supply of help.

Kind regards,

Hi,  

No, it's https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-2-dual-speed-crayford-focuser-for-explorer-models.html but I guess any would work.   

I think if I replace it it will mean me taking out the secondary mirror which doesn't fill me with confidence.

Reading between my own lines I'm asking is it cheaper to fix or should I sell my scope just for parts?

Thank you

It’s a simple job to change a focuser. Remove the four hold down bolts in the base and replace the focuser and put the bolts back in. No need to touch the secondaty. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-focusers/dual-speed-crayford-1252-inch-focuser-for-skywatcher-explorer.html

Of course is it worth doing or rjust break it for parts?

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, johninderby said:

It’s a simple job to change a focuser. Remove the four hold down bolts in the base and replace the focuser and put the bolts back in. No need to touch the secondaty. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-focusers/dual-speed-crayford-1252-inch-focuser-for-skywatcher-explorer.html

Of course is it worth doing or rjust break it for parts?

Might it just need a bearing replacement John? Sound like that’s what fell out but I don’t know how hard they are to replace.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Might it just need a bearing replacement John? Sound like that’s what fell out but I don’t know how hard they are to replace.

Or how handy the OP is at DIY. If it were me I would strip it down and see if I could find the problem. If I  couldn’t fix the problem the focuser would still be the same......non working. 

There should be a how to strip the focuser down guide on Youtube or something.

Edited by johninderby

Thanks John.  You appear to have used few words to make what, in my head, was a massive job a lot simpler!  I'll look to pick up something from Astroboot or treat myself to a new one and give it a go.

With reference to my confidence; if I don't need to remove the mirror and is basically moving the four connecting screws.  I'm all over it!!

Kind regards,

Thanks again, 

• Thanks 1