Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is this noise? Condensation?

joecoyle

Hi, 

It's been a few months since I last used my camera in earnest. It's in a roll off roof observatory. I have noticed some weirdness (two triangular patches on each side). Can anyone tell me what it is? It looks like condensation or some such to me, and gradually fades over about 5/10 mins. But I've never noticed it before. I don't think it causes any issues in imaging.

I have a dew heater on the objective lens, so could it be on the sensor? Is it normal and I'm panicking over nothing?

Thanks

Joe

1449939855_ScreenShot2020-04-20at21_24_26.png.6afc5796bea9acada9b634b6ca506abd.png

Later on - much reduced:

817390915_ScreenShot2020-04-20at21_27_09.png.2055cc3045896bf5ef862df8f09774ca.png

I've had exactly this effect on both my 414ex-osc and (before I sold it) my 428ex-mono. I only used to see it when making flats and I would have to wait 5 or 10 minutes for these triangular areas to subside to the left and right and fade to nothing. I have no idea what it is and it may indeed be moisture but it never seemed to have any effect on the images.

Sorry I can't be of more help but I'm pretty sure it is nothing much to worry about.

Adrian

• Thanks 1