Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi this is my first post and hoping some of you can help me with my new Celestron Evolution EdgeHD 8" with StarSense AutoAlign.

I have had the SCT for 3 weeks. The first night I aligned (set date, time, location - latitude and longitude, correct time zone and enabled DST), calibrated (on Dubhe) and re-align as described in the manual and according to the Celestron online youtube video using the Hand Controller (HC).  It worked great and GoTo feature worked well. Loved my first views of stars, Venus and the moon. However, I cannot get the alignment to work at all using the SkyPortal app (latest version on Android v3.3.0.1).

In the 5 cloud free nights I have had since that first test with the Hand Controller I have instead tried to align using the app, following the manual and youtube videos (basically, connect to internal wifi, tap on telescope icon, tap on Connect and Align). But when I click on Connect and Align the telescope slews around the sky looking to find stars and plate solve but I just repeatedly get an error message that there are too few stars and then tries another location in the sky and another and another. The first time I tried it I left it trying for 45 min before giving up, the last 4 night I have tried it I have left it 30 min but just get error after error after error..... However, after trying this on each occasion I have then tried to align using the HC and it always works immediately, first time, witin 3 mins or so. This is causing me great frustration as it is spoilling enjoyment of my new telescope on the few cloud free nights that we have. I have been in touch with FLO where I bought it and they have pointed me to this site to get advice from users.

I really want to get this to work with the app because this is what sold it for me to buy this particular scope. So hoping that someone can help me. Just a few things to note:

1. I updated firmware to latest version before aligning with HC.
2. Connection to wifi works fine - I am in the countryside with little obstructions or other wifi connections around me so once connected stays connected.
3. StarSense lens cap has definitely been removed from SS camera!
4. The SkyPortal app is set to Current Time and Current Location (checked that longitude and latitude coordinates are correct) and DST is enabled as well.
5. I always carefull ycheck levelling and ensure mount/telescope are set to home position re marks on Alt-Az mount.
6. My view of the sky is fairly unrestricted, but anyway the HC works fine it is just the app that isnt working.

7. I have also tried SkySafar 6 Plus but have exactly the same issues.

I am aware of a similar post by someone on here in 2016 (wellsi) with a similar problem where the scope just slewed around in StarSense , but the suggestions re switching between HC and SkyPortal is not relevant, neither is trying the wifi as access point rather than direct mode. I am aware that you cannot switch between using the HC and SkyPortal app in the same session, unless you do another alignment procedure. Once you align with one you have to stick to that method of viewing. When it fails to align in the app not "seeing" any stars I do switch to the HC to proved that in fact SS can "see" stars, which of course it can as it then aligns fine. So I don't think that is the problem here. I can see that my scope connects fine to the mount as well via the internal wifi, so I don't think it has anything to do with the all the problems that were being reported re wifi issues a number of years ago,  but anyway it is connected as I can slew the scope via the directional arrows, plus can see the settings in the app, which can only be seen once connected through wifi. 

I will try once again tonight, if the sky remains clear, but am running out of ideas. Really hoping someone has some further suggestions.

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

A pity nobody has responded to my post. If there was a problem with the evo mount wifi or SkyPortal app then surely others are experiencing the same issues as me. If others are finding the app works fine for them then I would appreciate knowing as it might help in narrowing the problem down. FLO have been great in trying to help me out but so far I am not impressed with Celestron customer services, they took 1 week to reply and ask me two questions the answers of which were in my original email, and now another 34 hrs later no follow up response.

Sorry, I have only just seen your post.

I gave up with SkyPortal and SkySafari. Far too many problems with WiFi. Instead I now use Celestron's CPWI for PC/Windows. However, I will try to help....

The most common problem is time/date/location etc. But if your tablet is connected to the Internet then Location Sevices will fix that provided you have time = now set as well as current time and current location. I got caught out by this a few times where I had looked ahead in the star chart and then didn't restore time = now. But if you have tried both SkyPortal and SkySafari this is unlikely. 

Are you connecting using (scope type)  'Celestron WiFi'? Do not select any specific scope type. 

Are you using a wedge and a polar align/ASPA? There was a bug preventing that routine working with the Android Apps, but it might have been fixed.

My last suggestion is join TeamCelestron. That will give you an inside track on all the latest bugs, foibles and, problems with Celestron products and software and you can talk directly with Derik, a Celestron  software engineer. It's free to join, and you don't have to beta-test if you don't want to.

Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, noah4x4 said:

Sorry, I have only just seen your post.

I gave up with SkyPortal and SkySafari. Far too many problems with WiFi. Instead I now use Celestron's CPWI for PC/Windows. However, I will try to help....

The most common problem is time/date/location etc. But if your tablet is connected to the Internet then Location Sevices will fix that provided you have time = now set as well as current time and current location. I got caught out by this a few times where I had looked ahead in the star chart and then didn't restore time = now. But if you have tried both SkyPortal and SkySafari this is unlikely. 

Are you connecting using (scope type)  'Celestron WiFi'? Do not select any specific scope type. 

Are you using a wedge and a polar align/ASPA? There was a bug preventing that routine working with the Android Apps, but it might have been fixed.

My last suggestion is join TeamCelestron. That will give you an inside track on all the latest bugs, foibles and, problems with Celestron products and software and you can talk directly with Derik, a Celestron  software engineer. It's free to join, and you don't have to beta-test if you don't want to.

Good luck! 

Thanks very much for your reply. Yes in SkySafari I am connecting using "Celestron WiFi." I am not using a wedge at this stage, jus the Evo alt-az mount - this is all new to me and still learning lots. However, Celestron customer services finally came back to me today to tell me that there was a bug in the motor control firmware and the communication between SkyPortal and StarSense. They have literally just issued two fixes this month which is now available on their website to install via CFM (7.17.0098, Apr 2020). Of course tonight its totally cloudy and raining so I cannot check if this has fixed the problem. But I will come back and confirm for anyone else having the same problems.

I didn't know about TeamCelestron, is this on this site or on their website? I will take a look. Thanks for that tip.

1 hour ago, Dave7 said:

Thanks very much for your reply. Yes in SkySafari I am connecting using "Celestron WiFi." I am not using a wedge at this stage, jus the Evo alt-az mount - this is all new to me and still learning lots. However, Celestron customer services finally came back to me today to tell me that there was a bug in the motor control firmware and the communication between SkyPortal and StarSense. They have literally just issued two fixes this month which is now available on their website to install via CFM (7.17.0098, Apr 2020). Of course tonight its totally cloudy and raining so I cannot check if this has fixed the problem. But I will come back and confirm for anyone else having the same problems.

I didn't know about TeamCelestron, is this on this site or on their website? I will take a look. Thanks for that tip.

Team Celestron:  Team Celestron Website You have to register on the website and wait to be given access. From this website you have the opportunity to access beta versions of firmware and software updates. In normal circumstances (unless you want to be a beta tester) you would not need to install these and should use the software/firmware versions downloaded from CFM. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dave7 said:

Great to hear you have fixed.

Your scope must have previously had 7.17.0031 (Also, April 2020) which on (today) reading the Celestron Firmware History web page I see introduced a few bugs. You have actually done me a favour. I had updated to 7.17.0031 and this now explains a different bug I have been suffering. I never expect two firmware updates in a couple of weeks. So I need to update too! 

On 29/04/2020 at 23:16, Shimrod said:

Team Celestron:  Team Celestron Website You have to register on the website and wait to be given access. From this website you have the opportunity to access beta versions of firmware and software updates. In normal circumstances (unless you want to be a beta tester) you would not need to install these and should use the software/firmware versions downloaded from CFM. 

Many thanks for link. I will check it out.

On 30/04/2020 at 11:18, noah4x4 said:

Great to hear you have fixed.

Your scope must have previously had 7.17.0031 (Also, April 2020) which on (today) reading the Celestron Firmware History web page I see introduced a few bugs. You have actually done me a favour. I had updated to 7.17.0031 and this now explains a different bug I have been suffering. I never expect two firmware updates in a couple of weeks. So I need to update too! 

Glad I have helped you too.

• 3 months later...
On 01/05/2020 at 23:50, Dave7 said:

Glad I have helped you too.

Hi Dave7,

Just wondering if you managed to solve the problem?

I recently bought the same telescope and starsense and tried to use it two nights ago.

Tried to use connect and align on the SkyPortal app and also kept on getting error messages.

Looking forward to your reply.

DoubleDoubleSwiftly,

I'm successfully using StarSense with NexStar (Evolution 9.25), driven from SkySafari and it works perfectly.

I updated the Evolution software to 7.17.0098 (April 2020), which fixes the WiFi bug in 7.17.0031.

Also updated the SySense handset to 1.20.20162 (July 2020).

The firmware history is here:  https://www.celestron.com/pages/firmware-update-history

Cheers,

Mark

8 hours ago, Starwatcher2001 said:

DoubleDoubleSwiftly,

I'm successfully using StarSense with NexStar (Evolution 9.25), driven from SkySafari and it works perfectly.

I updated the Evolution software to 7.17.0098 (April 2020), which fixes the WiFi bug in 7.17.0031.

Also updated the SySense handset to 1.20.20162 (July 2020).

The firmware history is here:  https://www.celestron.com/pages/firmware-update-history

Cheers,

Mark

Thank you!  

I spent a good few hours last night updating the StarSense camera, handcontroller and the mount.

Took a while to figure it all out but I think I've done it.

Can't wait to try it again - fingers crossed it works next time!

• 2 years later...

Same issue, 2 years later. I just got an Evolution 8 with StarSense and so far things are not going so well. After multiple alignment attempts in which the StarSense camera reported a failed alignment attempt, I finally got it to align. Then was able to calibrate and fine tune the telescope, realign (as per Celestrons YouTube video instructions). Then I attempted to use the app which seemd to be connected to the telescope, however the GoTo control on the app did not work. I then used the hand controller...which worked. I asked it to go to saturn which worked perfectly. It was right in the center. Then to Jupiter, which it was in the eyepiece view but barely, so not centered. After that the moon...this time it went to the opposite side of the sky and looked down toward the ground. I will try to realign it tonight, but I am not sure what to expect. I thought the date and time might not be correct, but my understanding from videos I have seen is that the app will inform your date, time, and location. Is that the case? I put the date and time into the hand controller, but now I am wondering if you have to do that every time you use the telescope? Or if the app will help you manage some of these issues. 

On 20/04/2020 at 10:41, Dave7 said:

I really want to get this to work with the app because this is what sold it for me to buy this particular scope. So hoping that someone can help me. Just a few things to note: