Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging Session Timelapse

Ran a timelapse of one of my imaging sessions. Not sure why I haven't done this before to be honest! Milky way is visible very faintly, although the quality has been degraded by compression etc. It gave me a sense of the vastness of it all, and that my scope is capturing only a miniscule proportion of a fraction of what's out there...

Canon 6D unmodified
Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC
872 x 15 sec exposures @ f8 + ISO 200-1250

Flickr: https://flic.kr/p/2iSv1KR

Edited by SyedT
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, spaceman_spiff said:

Really good timelapse, nicely done. Interesting when the street light turns off you see the sky glow and then the flood light turns on next door; sort of a rock and a hard place. Even so, your sky looks great overhead.

Cheers! I'm happy that the lights are now turned off at midnight as previously they stayed on for the whole night which was frustrating. The floodlight is a motion-sensing one installed by one of the neighbours, so can't be helped I guess. I was surprised by how many stars and the Milky Way were picked up in 15 second exposures, as I live in a Bortle 5 zone which borders a Bortle 6 zone. I kept the f-stop and ISO toned down to avoid washing the image out, and it seems to have worked relatively well.

Edited by SyedT

Decided to do a startrail version of it. Pleasantly surprised by the relative lack of satellites (although this won't last long), and the fact that the mount tripod stayed still throughout. 😂

Stack.thumb.png.f101ccf7ea56ae10cc26ddc9a525641e.png

• Like 2