Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Polar Alignment

Hi this is how I do it may not be right but it works 

I know Polaris lines up on a point of next doors house , so first I line the North leg of the tripod to that point I then level the mount on 2 axis , now I fit the mount in its home position weights line up with North leg of tripod (home position of the telescope) now I fit the telescope once on the mount put in your heaviest eyepiece now balance the telescope in both axis 

Once Polaris is in the sky rotate the telescope to open the polar scope then I match Polaris to the polar alignment app adjust latitude and zenth screws to line up Polaris in the Polaris position in the polar scope that's it's your done 

If you have not yet check and align the polar scope to the mount look on astro baby web site it will show you how 

I too am a beginner at this. I have a C8-NGT GoTo scope that I bought second hand. When I first got it, I tried using the polar scope, but I couldn't see anything through it, Polaris was too faint for my eyes to pick out. So then I tried running through the alignment program using the stars it suggested, but often I couldn't find them even using Google Sky on my phone . So then I came up with an idiots method to get it near enough, although it will probably horrify the experts on here. I skip the alignment program and just choose an easy target like Venus. I tell the scope to point itself at that target. Once it stops moving, I pick up the tripod and turn it round until Venus is visible in the finder. Obviously it's not a proper alignment, but it's quick and easy and usually good enough for my needs.

11 hours ago, AlcyoneSVX said:

I too am a beginner at this. I have a C8-NGT GoTo scope that I bought second hand. When I first got it, I tried using the polar scope, but I couldn't see anything through it, Polaris was too faint for my eyes to pick out. So then I tried running through the alignment program using the stars it suggested, but often I couldn't find them even using Google Sky on my phone . So then I came up with an idiots method to get it near enough, although it will probably horrify the experts on here. I skip the alignment program and just choose an easy target like Venus. I tell the scope to point itself at that target. Once it stops moving, I pick up the tripod and turn it round until Venus is visible in the finder. Obviously it's not a proper alignment, but it's quick and easy and usually good enough for my needs.

Is your polar scope lite if it is try it on the lowest setting , mine was very high which made it so bright it was hard to see Polaris if you have it on dim Polaris comes up as a white dot  which makes it easier to line up 

But the really important part is to make sure the polar scope is in line with the mount astrobaby shows you how on her site 

Edited by Neil H

When you do spot Polaris and know how to find it , I shine a laser torch through the polar scope or you could with a finder scope I guess to enable you to see where your set up is pointing , I then use sharpcap and my guide scope .. 

ASf ar as i know i dont have a Polar scope ,in fact i dont know what one is ,

have been trying ,but seems i would have to do it every day because i have to put telescope away

in shed and get it out each time i want to use it

This is a nice budget scope and mount with a simple RA drive, suitable for visual use.

This mount doesn't have a polarscope or the capability to fit one.

During the day find out how to focus on a distant object.

Then adjust the finder to centre the same object.

With the weights straight down point the scope north, with a compass will do for visual use.

Then raise the scope up towards Polaris with the vertical adjustment on the mount.

Polaris is found like this:

https://earthsky.org/brightest-stars/polaris-the-present-day-north-star

Centralise Polaris in your finder, that should be enough alignment for visual use.

Michael

• Like 1