SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQMod, Skywatcher Cable, or Synscan Wifi......

My Gamepad for Ascom - Not EQMod thread on here went down like a lead balloon, so I've been trying out the various PC to mount controlling options and each has its advantages and disadvantages....

When I first tried connecting my mount to my PC I was a little bewildered at the choice of methods, so maybe this thread may be of use to anyone starting out on the same "adventure" .....  👀

(I also found that PC Keyboards and Numpads can only be used for slewing via EQMod)

1. Direct Skywatcher serial cable connection

Pros -
    Can be used with any Synscan mount, EQ or Alt/Az
    Synscan controller remains active, e.g. for fine slewing while looking through the eyepiece.
    Can work in conjunction with some planetarium progs, e.g. Stellarium.

Cons -
    Can't be used with EQMod software, because a hardware adapter cable is needed instead.

2. Skywatcher Synscan Wifi adapter

Pros -
    Can be used with any Synscan mount, EQ or Alt/Az

Cons -
    All slewing of mount can now only be via PC Screen or Tablet/Phone as Synscan hand control is replaced by the wifi dongle
    Correction !  I've now discovered that "AscomPad" can co-exist with the SynscanPro app and stellarium, so I can now nudge the mount whilst looking through the eyepiece with a PC gamepad.  It can also control an Ascom focuser and filterwheel

3. EqMod adapter cable

Pros -
    Much more sophisticated and extensible PC interface
    Gamepad interface enables all controls while looking through eyepiece

Cons -
    Cannot be used with Synscan Alt/Az mounts, only EQ

If any of my deductions here are inaccurate, please feel free to correct me, especially the Pros and Cons  ! 🤓

A further area of comparison that I haven't explored yet is using the Ascom drivers with the Synscan Wifi adapter and the Synscan hand controller.

Edited by Astro-Geek
  • Like 1

As a follow up to my editing of my opening post, I now have my preferred complete solution, My Skywatcher Synscan Wifi dongle with the Windows SynscanPro app, Stellarium, and AscomPad.

This works with my Skywatcher EQ and Alt/Az mounts, and I can control the mount from the PC and/or from the eyepiece with a gamepad.

Each time I think I've cracked Ascom, it surprises me again with how much it can do ! 🤓

Here's a screendump of Stellarium, SynscanPro, and AscomPad all working together.             Whoopee......

synscan and ascompad.jpg

Edited by Astro-Geek
typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just stumbling across this thread. I'm looking into controlling a Skywatcher Alt AZ GTi with a python script sending the alt/az coordinates from a Raspberry pi. Do you think I'd be able to use the direct Skywatcher serial connection?? I'd need the mount to constantly slew to the coordinates given from the raspberry pi (every second or so).

Victor

21 hours ago, Victor Boesen said:

Just stumbling across this thread. I'm looking into controlling a Skywatcher Alt AZ GTi with a python script sending the alt/az coordinates from a Raspberry pi. Do you think I'd be able to use the direct Skywatcher serial connection?? I'd need the mount to constantly slew to the coordinates given from the raspberry pi (every second or so).

Victor

Sorry Victor, I've never tried writing scripts or used Linux. 

The Synscan app Ascom driver does work with all my other Ascom software though, sharpcap etc., slewing the mount successfully, changing the speed etc..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Astro-Geek said:

Sorry Victor, I've never tried writing scripts or used Linux. 

The Synscan app Ascom driver does work with all my other Ascom software though, sharpcap etc., slewing the mount successfully, changing the speed etc..

It's okay, I appreciate all the help I can get:)

Thanks!

On 22/05/2020 at 18:00, Victor Boesen said:

Victor

I've started using the rather good Astroberry on my Pi 3B and I'm using the SW USB dongle which replaces the handset and acts as EQMod. Works fine on my HEQ5. All uses INDI and Kstars / Ekos to bring it all together but was actually pretty straight forward, and no Python coding skills needed 😉 The Astroberry even acts as a wifi module for your gear and lets SkySafari connect to it and control everything from your phone / tablet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SplintUK said:

I've started using the rather good Astroberry on my Pi 3B and I'm using the SW USB dongle which replaces the handset and acts as EQMod. Works fine on my HEQ5. All uses INDI and Kstars / Ekos to bring it all together but was actually pretty straight forward, and no Python coding skills needed 😉 The Astroberry even acts as a wifi module for your gear and lets SkySafari connect to it and control everything from your phone / tablet. 

I've read a little about the astroberry but the reason I need a python program is because I wanted to use the mount to track weather satellites.

I was sceptical about using stellarium for this because of accuracy of the satellite location but after playing around with stellarium I've found I can make stellarium update the necessary data on boot-up. Perhaps I will use stellarium and its synscan control feature instead;)

Thank you for recommending Astroberry

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I was just looking into setting up a joystick or gamepad to control my AZ-GTi through my PC. 

Can anyone advise how I can do this? Also, which joysticks or gamepads work best?

Mount is in AZ mode (not installed the EQ firmware as I do not yet have a wedge, or counter balance...

I have Stallarium and ASCOM platform both installed on my Windows PC - set up and working with my PC.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

SplinUK I am interested in this stream and what you said in that you did this all successfully with RPi3. I have been struggling with setting up my AZ-EQ5 and EQ6 using the same process. Nothing seems to work. Any suggestions from this group would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...
On 24/05/2020 at 05:53, SplintUK said:
On 22/05/2020 at 11:00, Victor Boesen said:

I am very interested in this statement where  you used Synscan dongle through RPi. I have been trying to connect for some time without any success. Wondering if you would be able to share the method in which you used to connect everything?

• 4 weeks later...

I am trying to connect my Synscan wifi to EQMOD but I can't seem to get the Stellarium to connect with the wifi and therefore pull up the EQmod interface. When I use the connect using Stellarium I only get COM port options. Any thoughts?