Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Panoptic or TMB Paragon?

I'm looking for a low magnification eyepiece for my Skywatcher 300P and I'm wondering whether to buy the 40mm TMB Paragon that Steve@FLO has for £120 or the twice as expensive Panoptic 35mm. How much difference in practice is there between the two? Is the price difference worth it?

I have heard (via the CN forums) that the Skywatcher Aero ED is a re-housed TMB Paragon. Which would make for an even bigger price difference. Trouble is i've not heard any feedback at all on the Aero or it's twin, the AstroTech Titan II, so not committed myself. I need a low power eyepiece for my 12 dob too.

Looks like there's a 30m and 35mm Aero too. I'm looking forward to that review! Since I already have a 16m Nagler, I'm wondering whether the 40mm a better option as with barlow this would give me an additional option of 20mm whereas 35mm with barlow would be 17.5mm which is rather close to the Nagler. Decisions, decisions.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for a low magnification eyepiece for my Skywatcher 300P and I'm wondering whether to buy the 40mm TMB Paragon that Steve@FLO has for £120 or the twice as expensive Panoptic 35mm. How much difference in practice is there between the two? Is the price difference worth it?

Sorry I'm late on this one. I've owned both, although not at the same time. The 35mm pan has quite a lot of pincushion distortion whereas the paragon has none. But, there's a reason for that, the panoptic is better corrected at the edge in faster scopes. I'm just not sure if it's twice the price better corrected. Knowing what I know now, paragon for me.

Not had a chance to road test the Aero sadly. The clear spell ended the day the Aero arrived :hello2:

But intend to use it tonight with the ED80 and track down this comet......providing the weathermen are right with their forecast. Will hopefully report back tomorrow with an initial impression.

Regards

Russ

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a Paragon 40mm and it is one of the nicest EPs in my collection. I just recently used it to check out the double star cluster and the Pleiades through my C8 (both fit inside the FOV). Not only is it a very good EP optically, it is also very comfortable, showing little or no kidney-beaning. I did a review here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/94856-some-thoughts-tmb-paragon-40-mm.html

I do not know if the Aero is the same, but I can vouch for the Paragon as a great EP for a very decent price.

What was your verdict in the end Russ?

I didn't do the review in the end, that went to John (jahmanson). He posted an excellent review of the Aero compared to his TV Nagler 31mm T5.

I did get to play with the Aero briefly at the time and then bought one for myself the following year. Great eyepiece. Not too bulky or heavy. Very comfortable to use, nicely corrected for faster scopes (not Nagler or Pentax XW level but good). And a clear step above the Panaview/Adler/SWAN. :)

I now have an Aero ED40 which from all I've read I believe is optically the same as the 40mm Paragon as stated erlier in this thread. It's a very nice eyepiece and sharp pretty much across the whole FoV at F/6.5 but astigmatism rears it's head in faster scopes - it's not quite as nice in my 10" F/4.8 newtoninan (through astigmatism rather than coma).

I'd expect the 35mm Panoptic to remain sharp to the edge in fast scopes but whether that's worth twice the price depends on the individual I guess.

Remember that for many of us a 40mm is mainly useful at F/8 or slower (F/6 for the young ones) due to exit pupil constraints. This is why I did not bother with a faster scope for the EP. A 30 mm is useful down to F/6 (or F4.3 for youngsters). At 2" diameter, I would much rather have a 31mm Nagler than the 30mm Paragon/Aero, but the the price is quite a bit higher.

Dare we dream of a 28mm Ethos?:)

If the 300mm is a f4 then a 40mm eyepiece will give a massive exit pupil and be quite useless. Not to mention the central obstruction becoming visible.

Depending on your age a 25mm -28mm would be the maximum usable focal length for this scope.

Has anyone tried a 31mm Baader Hyperion Aspheric. Xmas present plans of a Refractor fell through then plans of a 150pl I'm now down to a 31mm EP :) hoping this doesn't fall through also but don't want to end up with a lemon either.

Reviews I have read all look good for it working in my F/4.8 reasonably well. I can't really go much longer than 31-32 mm as the exit pupil would make it pointless.

SPACEBOY

Don't suppose anyone is sick of their 31mm Nagler and fancy negotiating :)

Would have been a better option but I'm afraid not enough ££ spondoolies ££ :)

The well is drying up and there was so many other things I needed to get. I had planned on the 22 Nag being my low power but the views are so good I wanted to pan it out just that little bit further but this was not in my original budget. The Baader is right up on the limits of usable exit pupil and offers a decent 72' at reasonable price. If I had the money I would have probably gone with the 82' Meade 5000 UWA 30mm during the 10% off day.

the 35mm Panoptic can be had for £200 used and they come up every now and again. I love mine and will never sell it. it's really a superb eyepiece. I have never looked through a 31mm Nagler and I am sure it's a wonderful EP but for me the weight and price puts me off.

I have heard a number of people say they prefer the view through the 35mm Pan to the 31mm Nagler but there are probably just as many the other way too. I like the 35mm and the 22mm I have so much I may even get the 27mm too in the future but not for a while. I find the 68 degree field so 'easy' on the eye.

In my f5.3mm dob it gives an exit pupil of 6.6mm so it's pretty good but with my LP it is a little grey sometimes in the heavens. it's not really designed for this but I can say that the moon looks truly awesome with this EP and my big dob.

Archived