Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New ioptron cem 70?

newbie alert

I too was initially looking at the cem60, then the cem70 popped up out of nowhere... I prefer the black colour ( like the cem120, but that's a no no price wise) I'd go for the 70 but realistically I don't need the guider or usb3.. I know there's ment to be a non guider and usb2 version but as Flo said prices will be a fair bit higher than the cem60.. so do I want to be a guinea pig or have a tried and tested cem60.. I've been on the ioptron Facebook page for a few months and have only seen positive feedback, a few having issues with the ec versions and guiding.. but no bad press that I can see  ..

Might be time to get the wallet out

23 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

I too was initially looking at the cem60, then the cem70 popped up out of nowhere... I prefer the black colour ( like the cem120, but that's a no no price wise) I'd go for the 70 but realistically I don't need the guider or usb3.. I know there's ment to be a non guider and usb2 version but as Flo said prices will be a fair bit higher than the cem60.. so do I want to be a guinea pig or have a tried and tested cem60.. I've been on the ioptron Facebook page for a few months and have only seen positive feedback, a few having issues with the ec versions and guiding.. but no bad press that I can see  ..

Might be time to get the wallet out

from what I’ve heard, is that the base model without guider and just usb2 will be labelled CEM70 and the one with guider and usb3 will be the CEM70G, I also believe there will be a EC version

again this is all speculative and here-say at the moment 

I have had a CEM60 (Non EC) for about 6 months and love it, Yes you do end up with a single cable going to the main camera (but I would do that anyway as I guide and don't like two sets of pictures trying to go down the same wire).  The USB 2 hub gets filled anyway with the guide camera, filter wheel, focus unit and mount control as do the 2 power outlets.  I regularly get guiding down at 0.3.  It is a beast but I cant see myself changing it till my back gives out (and that will hopefully be a few years away yet. 

• Like 1

Never been keen on being an early adopter of things especially mounts, especially iOptron, speaking as the owner of an early iEQ45 where they appeared to be using the customer as beta testers in the tried and tested MS fashion 😂

Dave

Microsoft that is not Marks and Spencer 😂

Edited by Davey-T

IOptron have contacted us. The new CEM70 is closer to release than we thought. 
It appears the CEM60 will be discontinued 🙁 
The CEM70 will be added to our website later today. 

HTH

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FLO said:

IOptron have contacted us. The new CEM70 is closer to release than we thought. 
It appears the CEM60 will be discontinued 🙁 
The CEM70 will be added to our website later today. 

HTH

Does that mean you can't buy  anymore cem60?

6 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Does that mean you can't buy  anymore cem60?

We think it does. We have sold out of CEM60 mounts and have only one or two CEM60EC models remaining. 

2 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

Have you  got the prices for the new CEM70...? 👍

We think £2,349 for the CEM70 and £2,649 for the CEM70G. 

We have ordered several of each. We are not sure yet when they will arrive but we have a feeling it will be around a month. 

Apologies for not having already added it to our website, it has been an extraordinarily busy day with half our staff working remotely. We are nearly there 🙂 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, FLO said:

We think it does. We have sold out of CEM60 mounts and have only one or two CEM60EC models remaining. 

We think £2,349 for the CEM70 and £2,649 for the CEM70G. 

We have ordered several of each. We are not sure yet when they will arrive but we have a feeling it will be around a month. 

Apologies for not having already added it to our website, it has been an extraordinarily busy day with half our staff working remotely. We are nearly there 🙂 

HTH, 

Steve 

So what is extra on the G model...? As getting very close the CEM120 prices...

Edited by Stuart1971

18 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

So what is extra on the G model...? As getting very close the CEM120 prices...

Weeell... Based on the information provided, the CEM70G extras are an "onboard optical guiding system" WiFi and USB 3.0. 

We will know more after our first delivery arrives and one of my colleagues has played with tested one 🙂 

HTH,

Steve 

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, FLO said:

Weeell... Based on the information provided, the CEM70G extras are an "onboard optical guiding system" WiFi and USB 3.0. 

I guess we'll have to see how all this shakes out but the G looks like a bit of a lemon. If you're in the market for a mount like this surely you already have a guiding setup or you want encoders so you don't have to guide? So that's a chunk of redundant tech for most people who just want USB 3.

And don't get me started on the roughly 40% price increase for the mount in that slot in their range. 🙄

22 minutes ago, Big Jim Slade said:

I guess we'll have to see how all this shakes out but the G looks like a bit of a lemon. If you're in the market for a mount like this surely you already have a guiding setup or you want encoders so you don't have to guide? So that's a chunk of redundant tech for most people who just want USB 3.

And don't get me started on the roughly 40% price increase for the mount in that slot in their range. 🙄

I'm struggling to see the motivation and wondering if they've perhaps misread the market myself.  It will be very interesting to see the final specs when they're available and I shall await FLO's opinion on them with interest.  At the moment with the limited information we seem to have, from where I'm sitting the CEM70 looks like not much benefit over a CEM60 for quite a lot more money and the CEM70G looks like very little benefit over that for a huge amount more money.  Makes me think that the CEM60 might well maintain its second hand value pretty well.

The CEM120 has been on my "maybe one day" wishlist for a while.  I might have to keep on eye on things there in case iOptron decide to bring out a CEM130...

James

Edited by JamesF
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

I'm struggling to see the motivation and wondering if they've perhaps misread the market myself.  It will be very interesting to see the final specs when they're available and I shall await FLO's opinion on them with interest.  At the moment with the limited information we seem to have, from where I'm sitting the CEM70 looks like not much benefit over a CEM60 for quite a lot more money and the CEM70G looks like very little benefit over that for a huge amount more money.  Makes me think that the CEM60 might well maintain its second hand value pretty well.

The CEM120 has been on my "maybe one day" wishlist for a while.  I might have to keep on eye on things there in case iOptron decide to bring out a CEM130...

James

James you read my mind, for the price quoted for the CEM70, and the CEM60 now discontinued I feel the CEM120 basic flavor is the sweet spot in the Ioptron range now. 

Maybe I discredit the CEM70 but for a little gain in payload and a few 'gadgets' it certainly seems a strange move by Ioptron, only time will tell I suppose.

2 hours ago, Neil27 said:

James you read my mind, for the price quoted for the CEM70, and the CEM60 now discontinued I feel the CEM120 basic flavor is the sweet spot in the Ioptron range now. 

Maybe I discredit the CEM70 but for a little gain in payload and a few 'gadgets' it certainly seems a strange move by Ioptron, only time will tell I suppose.

Seems to me they misread the market too...I expected it to be abit more than the cem60 but not £650 For the basic model, add on a few gadgets like usb3( which some where looking for) and a 120mm fl guider, bump it up another £950.. seems extortionate..the guider don't seem like it fits the payload of the mount , or is it just me..

On 22/05/2020 at 19:46, Big Jim Slade said:

I am on the other side of the fence with this one. I am in the market for my first goto mount. To cut a long story short, I pulled the plug on an order for the CEM60 with accessories (sw 50mm Ed guide-scope, 120 zwo mm guide camera, ipolar, tri-pier etc) coming in at just under £2800, all because I heard a rumour of the CEM70G which had all this built in, modern usb3, additional WIFI, iguider, ipolar, etc. So I figured the least this would come in at is around the £2500-2600 mark, yes I know I will still need the tri-pier but in my mind I was prepared to go an additional few hundred pounds more than the initial spend mainly because, for me, it ticked all the boxes for everything I would want now and in the future. 
Not sure why they had to produce a USB2 base version. They could still have had a Usb3 base version for all those that want the faster transfer rates but don’t require the guidescope, WiFi, etc.
This being said, I don’t understand why iOptron have to discontinue the CEM60 either, it is a very good mount, loved by many and from what I can see, is still in great demand.
No doubt I will, amongst others become a guinea pig to see how this mount pans out. I can only hope it was the right choice to wait for it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Robindonne said:

whats with the internal guiding?  No guiders needed anymore when using this mount?

That’s the idea. No additional guidescope but that’s on the assumption that the built in scope is capable of its job as good as an external one

On 25/05/2020 at 08:47, Autoglassman said:

That’s the idea. No additional guidescope but that’s on the assumption that the built in scope is capable of its job as good as an external one

Well if it does the job good enough,(cant tell because as a starter without one second of guiding in my life)it might be worth the try.  Im still struggling with the ways to go for guiding.   And if you are, like me, on the hunt for a new mount, then its worth considering.   Its just that i had set my mind on a eq6r.   Maybe because it is used by a lot of us vampiers.   Feels like a dive into the unknown with the ioptron cem70.  Is it compatible with skysafari, stellarmate and asiair etc?  

Edited by Robindonne

And if you are, like me, on the hunt for a newmount, the its worth considering.   Its just that i set my mind on a eq6r

the Eq6 r pro is a decent mount, heard only positives about it so far, the only negative is to do with the puck, sits on a funny angle..

22 hours ago, newbie alert said:

And if you are, like me, on the hunt for a newmount, the its worth considering.   Its just that i set my mind on a eq6r

the Eq6 r pro is a decent mount, heard only positives about it so far, the only negative is to do with the puck, sits on a funny angle..

Metoo.  Almost only good things about eq6r.  You mean the height difference in the clamping part?

ED4CA79E-FCAC-49F1-8606-6AF29133FE68.jpeg

Edited by Robindonne