Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New ioptron cem 70?

newbie alert

I’ve conversed via email with Ian at Flo and like you said James, unless they have concrete information, they don’t want to lead anyone up the garden path. Hopefully the coming few days next week might shed more info. I’ve seen it available for pre-order on an Italian website and there’s a page in the making on a Canadian website so lots of indications to say some news is nearby

Hopefully this will work, instructions are, COPY & PASTE link into google search engine, (only one site will appear) then click Translate this page, this will load it in english DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK AS YOU WILL NOT GET THE TRANSLATION TO ENGLISH OPTION, hope it works

https://www.telescopi-artesky.it/it/ioptron/montature-equatoriali/4788-montatura-cem70g-ioptron-8055517134832.html

Edited by Autoglassman
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Autoglassman said:

Hopefully this will work, instructions are, COPY & PASTE link into google search engine, (only one site will appear) then click Translate this page, this will load it in english DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK AS YOU WILL NOT GET THE TRANSLATION TO ENGLISH OPTION, hope it works

https://www.telescopi-artesky.it/it/ioptron/montature-equatoriali/4788-montatura-cem70g-ioptron-8055517134832.html

I think the main thing is they claiming PE of +/- 3.5 arctic and a 31Kg payload - but my Itallian is poor - for around 3K cost

6 hours ago, iapa said:

I think the main thing is they claiming PE of +/- 3.5 arctic and a 31Kg payload - but my Itallian is poor - for around 3K cost

Sorry, so I’ve just checked and you don’t get the “Translate to English” option on a mobile phone platform but it does work on the laptop or iPad.

yes you are correct, it is stating a PE of +/- 3.5 arsec and is coming in at just shy of 3000 euros which currently equates to about

£2650 gbp

Edited by Autoglassman

New link, should automatically translate to English just by clicking on the link on all platforms, I hope.

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=https://www.telescopi-artesky.it/it/ioptron/montature-equatoriali/4788-montatura-cem70g-ioptron-8055517134832.html&prev=search

Yes it does work, just tested on my mobile phone, will automatically go straight to website in English, takes a few seconds to load, hopefully this will be of use to those seeking an insight following this new addition of mount

Edited by Autoglassman

3 hours ago, Autoglassman said:

Hi All, so tried my luck sending an email to iOptron for a release date on the CEM70 models, got a reply back from their Tech Support saying it should be this week 😃

That would possibly be just the press release, or launch etc.....?

There is no mention of it on any UK or US website yet. I would have thought if release is pending, FLO would have advertised it as available for pre-order etc?

4 hours ago, oymd said:

That would possibly be just the press release, or launch etc.....?

I did start wondering about that after I posted it, think the excitement got to me. However I am curious how the Italian website have it as pre-order for the last week and no-one else have.

I did start wondering about that after I posted it, think the excitement got to me. However I am curious how the Italian website have it as pre-order for the last week and no-one else have.

I spoke to Flo about it yesterday, and they're in the dark, they have no idea on prices or when it will arrive in the uk

my guess if you get in touch with Artesky, they will quote a 1-2 month waiting time, or something like that..

Nothing definate on CN either. Just loads of speculation, silly comments and the occasional xenophobic anti Chinese comment. One comment that made me laugh though was some dolt saying it wouldn’t be as good as a 10 Micron. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by johninderby
  • Haha 1

It is difficult know what to say about a mount with unconfirmed spec, an unconfirmed price and no ETA 🙃

It looks like some Chinese product info about a mount still in development was leaked, and a small number of retailers have used the info to make a product page for their website. I don't want to sound judgmental because FLO used to do the same, back in her early days. These days we are more careful because we have learned promoting a product based on leaked info can and often does backfire. 

My personal opinion is, I sincerely hope they do not discontinue the CEM60! 

Unless someone really wants a CEM70 then I am advising they choose a CEM60. The CEM60 is a very successful product that is tried and trusted. The CEM70 looks to be (based on its current guesstimated U$ price) nearly double the price of a CEM60, with only 10lb more load bearing capacity. It will also initially be in short supply. 

HTH, 

Steve 

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

All that can really be said is that it seems to be in beta testing so any photos out there are of units in development. Not the finished product. 

Yes. And at this early stage any ETA provided by a retailer is little more than a guess. IOptron themselves don't know when it will be ready for release. The design is not in production. 

10 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Nothing definate on CN either. Just loads of speculation, silly comments and the occasional xenophobic anti Chinese comment. One comment that made me laugh though was some dolt saying it wouldn’t be as good as a 10 Micron. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Yes, agree. Lots of unnecessary bashing of Chinese QC and engineering.
my view is, if it were not for Chinese companies like Synta, ZWO, IOptron and the like, very very few people would have got into this hobby. It is a HOBBY after all, and we do not make money out of the thousands of pounds we invest in it. Those Chinese companies have made, and still make, some of the best mounts and scopes that an amateur astronomer can aspire to own. 

BMW and Mercedes are 2 of the top luxury car brands, yet they always score lowest on reliability and customer satisfaction as opposed to Japanese makes. No one seems to bash them as much. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FLO said:

My personal opinion is, I sincerely hope they do not discontinue the CEM60! 

Unless someone really wants a CEM70 then I am advising they choose a CEM60. The CEM60 is a very successful product that is tried and trusted. The CEM70 looks to be (based on its current guesstimated U$ price) nearly double the price of a CEM60, with only 10lb more load bearing capacity. It will also initially be in short supply. 

Hi Steve, in your opinion, why would anyone  “really want” a CEM70 over the CEM60 assuming we go on the unconfirmed specification and here say listed?

Im asking this question because I literally pulled the plug on an order with Flo for the CEM60, tri-pier and various accessories, simply because I heard of a CEM70G on the horizon. (have I made a mistake?) 

And only, mainly, because of the powered USB3 hubs as I am using the zwo183mc pro so naturally thought the transfer rate of imaging would be much better than if I used the unpowered USB2 of the CEM60. Also thoughts were, newer hardware, software, built in auto guiding, built in ipolar, gps, WiFi etc (if the specs are to be believed and true of course).

So confused 🤷‍♂️ right now, frustrating too.

Its that question “Do I or don’t I”

Richard.

4 hours ago, Autoglassman said:

Hi Steve, in your opinion, why would anyone  “really want” a CEM70 over the CEM60 assuming we go on the unconfirmed specification and here say listed?

Im asking this question because I literally pulled the plug on an order with Flo for the CEM60, tri-pier and various accessories, simply because I heard of a CEM70G on the horizon. (have I made a mistake?) 

And only, mainly, because of the powered USB3 hubs as I am using the zwo183mc pro so naturally thought the transfer rate of imaging would be much better than if I used the unpowered USB2 of the CEM60. Also thoughts were, newer hardware, software, built in auto guiding, built in ipolar, gps, WiFi etc (if the specs are to be believed and true of course).

So confused 🤷‍♂️ right now, frustrating too.

Its that question “Do I or don’t I”

Richard.

Hi Richard,

I'm reminded of that song, 'should I stay or should I go' by the Clash.

If I was in your position then I would go ahead and purchase the CEM60, a proven mount and for the price a steal I believe in its basic format. Nothing comes close on the market for the price, the SW EQ6 may lay claim but I personally feel the mount is a bit better quality and finish. Others may obviously have a different opinion but if i were in your shoes I'd go ahead and get the mount you originally intended to get.

You could wait forever for each new update and spend many months with nothing.

Just my 2 cents.

1 hour ago, Neil27 said:

Oooh, you don't want that.

"If I go there will be trouble
  And if I stay it will be double"

:D

James

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Neil27 said:

😂

10 hours ago, JamesF said:

"If I go there will be trouble
  And if I stay it will be double"

😂

12 hours ago, Neil27 said:

If I was in your position then I would go ahead and purchase the CEM60, a proven mount and for the price a steal I believe in its basic format. Nothing comes close on the market for the price, the SW EQ6 may lay claim but I personally feel the mount is a bit better quality and finish. Others may obviously have a different opinion but if i were in your shoes I'd go ahead and get the mount you originally intended to get.

You could wait forever for each new update and spend many months with nothing.

Just my 2 cents.

Hi Neil, that’s more than 2 cents worth but very valuable information at that.    
I suppose I’m stuck in that place where,

I know the cem60 has been around for 6 years or more and feel like I’m buying into old hardware, albeit still a very worthy mount,    
knowing now that there is an updated version coming (whenever that may be) but will have in date hardware/components, potentially buying a mount (cem60) that may become obsolete/discontinued within months of purchase

My reasons for deciding on the Cem60 initially

Payload capacity-future proofed for my needs,                                          
cable management system-like the idea of tidy cables at the topside allows for ease and quickness of set up, I was compromising with usb2 so meant I would have at least that one cable going direct to laptop from the camera,   lightweight and very much portable,                            
can have iPolar internally fitted    
Accessories to buy would be the tri-pier, iPolar, an autoguiding set up and various cables

My reasons for potentially waiting on the Cem70G over the Cem60

USB3 ports at the saddle-makes for faster transfer of images for live viewing and usb2 backward compatible
built in iPolar as standard    
built in 120mm guide scope as standard.  
probably newer hardware components.  
Accessories to buy would just be a tri-pier and various cables.   

I am aware the info on the Cem70 and the pricing are all unconfirmed and speculative. If the here-say is to be believed then pricing of the Cem70 set up over the Cem60 set up, for me, is an additional £500-600.

Again, if the here-say is to be believed, this would be worth waiting for and worth the extra expense and my only sole reason fo that is based on the fact that this set up, whichever i choose, has to last me a great number of .years to come, so future proofing is key based on current date information.

This would be my very first owned goto, computerised, guided mount. I’m currently on a Sw Star Adventurer which tracks well once polar aligned which I find easy to do manually. My biggest issue was trial & error in finding dso targets therefore have saved for the goto option. I borrowed a friends AVX and was awe inspired by the ease of finding targets once polar aligned, this is what set me off on my venture to jump into the mid-range category.

Anyway that’s where I’m at, at the moment, I welcome any comments to help guide me.

Richard.