Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New ioptron cem 70?

newbie alert

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Looks like they are also going too release a CEM40-G and a GEM45-G to go along with the CEM70-G. 🤔

Think if it's true that the cem 60 will be discontinued, then a refresh through the range is logical..lots want usb3 connectors

1 hour ago, iapa said:

still not happy with the added facility allowing rodents to sharpen their teeth.

All those exposed wires

true....those exposed wires look hideous...

Surely they will have to cover that up...somehow?

5 hours ago, johninderby said:

The pics are of the prototypes used for beta testing so would expect a few changes in the finished product.

I thought I see a release date as may 1st, but obviously  the way things have been has put that back abit 

11 hours ago, oymd said:

If that specimen in the video is a final retail version, it seems they have not covered up the exposed wires?

Yes, I would have expected some kind of loose sleeving in the least

Edited by Autoglassman

15 minutes ago, Autoglassman said:

Yes, I would have expected some kind of loose sleeving in the least

To me, while I like Ioptron, and what they bring to the table; low weight mounts with disproportionately high load capacity, I do not like the looks of that mount.

Very narrow at the base, looks very top heavy, and those exposed wires are inexcusable in my view. That's a very strange example of engineering.

52 minutes ago, oymd said:

looks very top heavy

I did wonder the same thing, but whilst the lower section appears to be solid metal I think there may be less metal than the size leads one to believe in the upper parts, so perhaps it's not particularly top-heavy at all.  I guess someone getting their hands on one is the only way to find out for certain though.

James

4 hours ago, johninderby said:

I wonder if FLO has any info on this mount at all? 🤔

I had an order on the go with Flo for the Cem60, tri-pier and various accessories, by chance I found out about the Cem70 on the horizon. I did question Flo about this and they confirmed there is a Cem70 & Cem70g in the pipeline. It gave me a headache for a couple of days finding this info. Eventually I pulled the plug on the complete order. My main reason being that I didn’t want to buy a mount that had been out 6+ years, a mount that would have to see me going for at least 6 years or more, albeit a very good mount which I made the decision on after extensive conversations with Flo. My gripe was that I preferred USB3 ports for quicker transfer rates of the zwo pro cameras which the Cem60 does not have. I questioned iOptron last week as to whether there would be a USB3 module upgrade available or even on the cards for the future. The response was quick but brief saying that there is no Usb3 upgrade module or any plans for one. Then to hear of a Cem70g coming soon, I had to cancel the order as this was exactly what I need. Usb3 is the current future and what’s the point of having a cable management system that would in affect be rendered useless because the camera would still have its usb3 cable traipsing to the laptop. And no, I didn’t want to retrofit anything to the Cem60. So in the end it made sense (to me anyway) to now sit it out, wait for the product to appear and go for it. I would no doubt still need the tri-pier but from what I can tell so far, the 70g comes with iPolar, guide camera and WiFi which are all very interesting features to have built in, in a mount. As to what can be controlled via WiFi, i.e. just the mount goto functions or guiding, polar alignment and imaging too would make for interesting findings. By the way, Flo had no additional info as of a couple of days ago.

Edited by Autoglassman

4 minutes ago, johninderby said:

When FLO has some proper info I’m sure they will let us know. 

Quite.  Steve almost always seems to chip in to these sorts of threads with more information if he has it and is allowed to divulge it (he's even started some of them himself :), so I've been assuming that either FLO don't really know much more than anyone else at the moment or that they do know, but aren't allowed to tell anyone until there's a formal UK announcement or something like that.

James

• Thanks 1