SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

£300 for all the eyepieces you'll ever need. Sort of.

miguel87

Best laid plans etc etc

Just got my 12mm BST starguider in the post. My mismatched collection of Vixen SLV 6mm & 9mm, new 12mm, 20mm Vixen NPL and 32mm 2inch SW panaview (only 5 eyepieces) together with tal barlow should be all I ever need. 

If the starguider is as good as I have read, then I do not plan to upgrade any until they break or I lose them!

I'm pretty sure they cover the range of what my scope is capable of (200p EQ5). Barlowed 6mm gives 333x magnification and my panaview gives 31x mag with a modest 70° AFOV.

Yes, I could upgrade in optical quality, obviously. But that comes at a price and my eyepiece set is essentially a good quality but budget collection.

Nevertheless, I think it is all I will ever need, which I think is pretty good going at £300 quid for the lot.

I was sad enough to pump the numbers into this great website to visualise the range of my eyepieces. This doesnt include any barlowed eyepieces.

Screenshot_20200414-162555_Chrome.jpg

Edited by miguel87
  • Like 2

Sounds like you have got a good range now.

Paying more would certainly take you into the realm of diminishing returns.

Its getting a taste for very wide field views that costs the money  :rolleyes2:

• Like 1

Yeah I can totally see the temptation. Even looking at a less than perfectly corrected 70° AFOV is a very different experience to the typical 50° plossl.

I cant believe you can get 100° plus these days and I cant really image seeing that through an eyepiece. For the sake of my wallet and the weight on my focusser tube, I plan not to go there for the foreseeable future!

Edited by miguel87
  • Haha 1