Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

30-32mm Eye piece advice

Afternoon All.

I am looking for a budget range 30-32mm wide field of view eye piece to add to my collection and would like some advise please.

I want to view large clusters in the whole field of view if possible So I would prefer something in 2" 

So far I have been looking at the OVL Panaview which looks reasonably priced, Anyone have any experience with this eye piece?

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/ovl-panaview-2-eyepieces.html

I have also been looking at the Celestron Omni Plossl eye piece. Again reasonably priced but only 1.25" offered and I dont think this will give me the FOV I require.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/celestron-omni-plossl-eyepieces-125.html

Any recommendations welcome.

Regards

Baz

The Panaviews are a popular choice of first 2 inch eyepiece and work pretty well with the 200mm F/6 dobsonians. They are not perfectly corrected all the way to the edge of the field but are not bad at all for their price.

The 1.25 inch size eyepieces of similar focal length simply can't show as wide a field as those in a 2 inch fitting because the inside diameter of the eyepiece barrel is what determines how wide the field can be. A 32mm 2 inch eyepiece can show 40% more sky than a 32mm 1.25 inch.

The Aero ED eyepieces are more expensive but are a bit better corrected than the Panaviews as John says above. I currently have the 30mm and 40mm in that range.

Of course, when you are thinking about filters, the question of 1.25 inch vs 2 inch comes up when you have a 2 inch eyepiece :rolleyes2:

• Thanks 1

Hi Gents.

Thanks for the advise and opinions. I will have a read up on both the 2" Panaview & Aero ED eye pieces. They both look a good option for me, I just need to determine if I should pay a bit more for the performance of the ED.

Your point about the filters is very valid also John, I didn't take this into consideration. I think the positive benefit of 40% more FOV will still sway me in favor of the 2"  Do you use the 30 or 40mm more for open clusters?

Will the larger field of view and lower power help with Nebula?

Baz

From my back yard, where I have some light pollution though it's not too bad, I find that I get better results using a slightly higher magnification even if that is at the expense of true field of view breadth.

On the largest objects (eg: the Veil Nebula) it is nice to have the largest field you can get but most targets fit comfortably within a smaller field.

• Like 2

Now, it's funny you should mention the Panaview. ;) :D

I was out the other night and reached in the dark for what I thought was the 18mm and pulled out the Panaview instead.

Popped it in and compared it to the 30mm Meade.

You know what? As well as bringing back fond memories of my first 2" EP, I was also very pleasantly surprised!

It is usually criticised for being soft around the edges, and yes it is a bit.

However, on axis it is crisp and sharp.

The Meade showed a slightly darker background to be honest, but then I paid twice the price for it! :)

I have a threaded 1.25" - 2" adaptor so that I can screw my 2" filter in and use 1.25" EPs with the filter.

Edited by bingevader
  • Like 1

The 30mm Aero gets used quite a bit with my ST120. Sharp and contrasty. Even better at a dark site. It was nice paired with the 8" Dob also.

It was used, £55 quid off Ebay. Cheaper than a new Panaview. Patience paid off. I've bought three of my eyepieces used from Ebay. Don't be put off buying used.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Waffling over. Just picked up a used 30mm Aero. Not a lot of used ones out there but still saved 30 quid so better than nothing and cheaper than a new Panaview. 👍🏻

I feel like I have inadvertently helped you spend money John 🙂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Some sound advice on here chaps. I think I will look for a used 30mm Aero. Ebay here I come. Where did you manage to pick yours up John?

regards

Baz

From ENS. Not allways the cheapest but they sometimes have things at reasonable prices.

If you're going used, see if you can find an APM UltraFlatField 30mm.

It is, performance-wise, a high-end eyepiece, priced low, but you might find it used for a very affordable price.

It's also sold as an Altair Astro Ultra-Flat.

Edited by Don Pensack
  • Thanks 1

Have you considered these from William Optics, slightly (1mm) oversized:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics-eyepieces/william-optics-swan-eyepiece.html

I have used this in the Celestron SE8 smit/cass OTA. Great views in a slower scope. Crystal with no aberrations at F10.

Also I have used a Nirvana 32mm/82 eyepiece before in an F4.8 dob.

My opinion is the swan is a better eyepiece to use, much friendlier on the eye which allows you to get a more relaxed view. However if your in a faster (+F6) ota, the nirvana will serve you better. 

cheers

steve

• Thanks 1

On 19/04/2020 at 20:11, Don Pensack said:

If you're going used, see if you can find an APM UltraFlatField 30mm.

It is, performance-wise, a high-end eyepiece, priced low, but you might find it used for a very affordable price.

It's also sold as an Altair Astro Ultra-Flat.

I can definitely second Don' recommendation on the APM. I have one for my 10" OOUK. It's a stunning eyepiece. 

Al

• Like 1