SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M64 Black Eye Galaxy has a red eye

gorann

Nights are getting really short up here so this image contains all 3.5 hours of darkness that I could catch with my 14" Meade LX200R (on the EQ8) on Thursday night. Fortunately it is still cold (around 0°C) so the un-coled Sony A7s (104 x 2 min at ISO3200) did not produce much noise. SQM of 21.4 also helped. Seems like the Black Eye Galaxy is really a red🤩

Wiki writes "The Black Eye Galaxy (also called Evil Eye Galaxy and designated Messier 64, M64, or NGC 4826) is a relatively isolated spiral galaxy located 17 million light years away in the northern constellation of Coma Berenices." Indeed, I was stuck by the isolation when I processed the image. Any other galaxies in there are very small and fuzzy so clearly much further away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Eye_Galaxy

20200416 M64BlackEyeMeadePS21smallSign.jpg

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

Very nice Goran...  just to show how isolated it is here's my recent version uncropped and annotated in Pixinsight (apologies for gatecrashing) 

Dave

M64_L_RGB_Final_WideField_DBE_resample_Annotated.thumb.jpg.7853dda9969c2cf5b1535cf954b7896c.jpg

Thanks Dave! Yes, it is lonely isn't it! Does not seem to be many nebulae in that galaxy either (except in the very centre), so we should feel very sorry for all the astrophotographers living in the Black Eye Galaxy. Cannot be much of a galaxy season for them. I am glad they do not know that some of their colleagues over here even call it the Evil Eye Galaxy

😅
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1