SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I tried searching for some easy deep sky objects on the internet but I never got a staright answer. Could someone please name some easy targets that I could use tonight. Mostly in Canis Major or in Canis Minor if possible. The deep sky objects that I am trying to find are quite simple. That can be seen by binoculars. Thanks, any help would always be appreciated. 😀

Whereabouts are you @Camalajs525 and what are your skies like? There is nothing really easy in those areas, although with reasonable skies you might find the galaxies M81 and 82.

The normal easy ones to look for are things like the Double Cluster in Perseus, the Orion Nebula M42, The Pleiades M45 and the Beehive Cluster M44. Give those a go first if possible.

• Like 1

Look for the Double Cluster in Perseus, binoculars show it well, too much magnification in a telescope kinda spoils it a bit.

Just lay back in a Deckchair on a dark night, and just trawl through the skies. You'll be awed by the wonder of it all. Ever changing, do it once a month should the night skies permit. Telescopes are too limited to drink all the splendour in.

Ron 

• Like 2

+1 for the Pleiades [M45]. It never fails to impress and the amount of: "Aah's", "Ooh's" & "Wow's", etc., ...and the smiles are priceless.

Another good one to go for, though maybe a bit of a challange, is the 'Coathanger' [Collinder 339] a.k.a. Brochi's cluster. It is located near the border of Vulpecula and Sagita. I viewed it from my Bortle 6 skies a few years ago with 7x50's.

Vulpecula Star Chart (credit:- freestarcharts)

290px-Cr399.jpg<--- All being well; this is what you should see.

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Whereabouts are you @Camalajs525 and what are your skies like? There is nothing really easy in those areas, although with reasonable skies you might find the galaxies M81 and 82.

The normal easy ones to look for are things like the Double Cluster in Perseus, the Orion Nebula M42, The Pleiades M45 and the Beehive Cluster M44. Give those a go first if possible.

Sorry for responding late. My skies are not bad but you can still see a lot of stars. Are m81 and 82 colliding galaxies?