Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Clicklock is stuck in Lock Position

So, I wanted to change the distance from my camera sensor to my coma corrector, but before removing the assembly from the telescope, I was unable to release the lock on the Baader 2" Clicklock... When trying to turn it, it just screws off of the telescope (as that is how it is mounted).
I can remove the other parts, and easily take the whole train off the telescope, but the click-lock is stuck to my coma corrector, and I can't for the love of me get it to release... If I use enough force, the Clicklock just slowly slides around the coma corrector, and it is slippery as hell, so I can't get an amazing grip either.

So any advice on how to do this, before I use excessive force and risk damaging either part?

My scope is still fully usable, but I currently can't change orientation which is quite annoying... hmmm

93794235_262045608529742_1315149317094244352_n.thumb.jpg.20fa24790461e13955ce89ccca3254e9.jpg

I have had this happen a couple of times in the last fortnight, after almost a year of blameless service.

My solution which you may like to try if you're feeling brave, was to tap the release handle smartly with the plastic handle of a screwdriver while holding  the trapped item.

If that doesn't work, my other 'goto' for stuck items (usually my coma corrector into the the camera adapter) is a nylon strap oil filter wrench.  This is even more risk prone but, for me at least, has always worked without damage.

Edited by almcl
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ricochet said:

Contact Baader. I had a clicklock break, luckily when it wasn't holding anything, and there was no way of releasing it.

5 hours ago, almcl said:

I have had this happen a couple of times in the last fortnight, after almost a year of blameless service.

My solution which you may like to try if you're feeling brave, was to tap the release handle smartly with the plastic handle of a screwdriver while holding  the trapped item.

If that doesn't work, my other 'goto' for stuck items (usually my coma corrector into the the camera adapter) is a nylon strap oil filter wrench.  This is even more risk prone bur, for me at least, has always worked without damage.

Darn, I sure hope it doesn't come to having to have them repair it... F the clicklock, the ES Coma Corrector is the heart and soul.. :(

I might try those suggestions of yours. Not sure exactly what nylon strap oil filter wrench exactly translates to in danish, but I'll have a look. Only issue is too, as said, the coma corrector is very slippery, and there isn't really a part of it, that is easy to get a good grip on.. And even if I hold it, the whole clicklock just seems to turn around it, as if its grip is not THAT tight.

I'll try to see if I can release it after this session, as it will then have had the whole night to cool down. I think the last time I tightened it was during the night, so me trying to release it when it is maybe 20 degrees hotter could cause an issue? 

Rubber strap wrenches like these are ideal for getting things apart. You don’t want big bulky oil wrench ones but smaller ones.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-Boa-Strap-Wrench-Colour/dp/B00096JDJY/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=baby+boa&qid=1587168078&sr=8-5

Also have hear using a hair dryer on the Clicklock can also help break it free. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Louis D said:

Is this a common problem with the Baader Clicklock?  Up until now, I've only read glowing praise of the BC.

First time in a years time it has happened to me, and could only really find one other thread about it, so not sure. It has been working amazingly until now.

12 hours ago, Neil H said:

Hi how about putting some double sided sticky tape on the coma corrector so you have a bit more grip the only down side is cleaning it off after 

I'll try that, but as mentioned, at times when applying enough force, the whole Clicklock will just turn around the coma corrector, showing that it isn't holding it THAT tight. And I can't really get a grip on the two parts of the clicklock that needs to rotate from one another either.
Just cleaning it if it works, will be worth the hazzle ^^

8 hours ago, Erling G-P said:

+1 for trying to heat it with a hairdryer.  Whenever I've had mechanichs having problems with stuck bolts on my cars, they usually end up heating them, which always seems to work.

I'll give that a go, cheers.

On 17/04/2020 at 19:58, almcl said:

I got it loose! Thanks for the help!
I used some duct-tape on the coma corrector, and then made an improvised double-sided tape for grip. Then as suggested I gave it some good taps with the end of a plastic multitool, and it came loose in no time.

Thanks a lot you all!

• Like 3

On 18/04/2020 at 02:25, Louis D said:

Is this a common problem with the Baader Clicklock?  Up until now, I've only read glowing praise of the BC.

Before mine failed, I had never heard of a failure and I have no hesitation in continuing to use them. In regards to what might be a more common issue of one that has seized after a long time left in the locked position, I would recommend unlocking and relocking regularly.

7 hours ago, The-MathMog said:

I got it loose! Thanks for the help!
I used some duct-tape on the coma corrector, and then made an improvised double-sided tape for grip. Then as suggested I gave it some good taps with the end of a plastic multitool, and it came loose in no time.

Thanks a lot you all!

Great news. Check it is now working properly on something cheap, like a standard 2"-1.25" reducer before reclamping on the coma corrector.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ricochet said:

Before mine failed, I had never heard of a failure and I have no hesitation in continuing to use them. In regards to what might be a more common issue of one that has seized after a long time left in the locked position, I would recommend unlocking and relocking regularly.

Great news. Check it is now working properly on something cheap, like a standard 2"-1.25" reducer before reclamping on the coma corrector.

Yeah, definitely think I will. Almost certain that it was a case of being locked in place with big temperature-shifts for a while. And it is working fine and dandy again.

7 hours ago, johninderby said:

Glad you got it sorted. 👍🏻

I second the idea of not leaving it clamped when not in use. 

Might do that. I do have the telescope and mount permanently set-up though, to minimize any changes in image-rotation, balance etc, and setup-time. Right now I can just bring the tripod out, then the mount with the telescope attached, bring cables in, and I'm pretty much rolling :)

10 hours ago, almcl said:

Great that it worked, well done!

Indeed, having to send it off for repair or the like, was the last thing that I wanted to do, with 4 nights of clear night still to come, and astronomical darkness ending in less than 2 weeks tops (the downside of living at a latitude of 57 degrees..) 😅
Thanks again.

5 hours ago, The-MathMog said:

astronomical darkness ending in less than 2 weeks tops (the downside of living at a latitude of 57 degrees..)

That's wild.  I live over 25 degrees south of that, so we have plenty of astronomical darkness even in the summer.  It would be about the same as being in Cairo, Egypt on your side of the pond.

2 hours ago, Louis D said:

That's wild.  I live over 25 degrees south of that, so we have plenty of astronomical darkness even in the summer.  It would be about the same as being in Cairo, Egypt on your side of the pond.

Sure is. It is easy to forget how high of a latitude Denmark actually is, compared to how the weather is. We basically had no snow this winter. That is because, looking at big weather-systems, we are basically sheltered by Norways mountains. The same latitude in the Americas, would be well into Canada.

• 1 year later...

Thanks so much for this post!  Mine stuck in the locked position and I tried like the dickens to get it unlocked to no avail.  The suggestion of using a hair dryer and tapping with the rubberized screwdriver handle did the trick!  I only used the Clicklock a few times and I'm concerned that it locked up already.  I'm thinking I pushed it too hard to the lock position.  Will this be a recurring problem?   I guess I'll see as I use it more.

Okay, I'm out.  I had thought about getting a Clicklock with 47mm extension to replace the eyepiece holder of my GSO CC plus 25mm M48 spacer ring since it works out to the same length.  I can't bear the thought of having multi-hundred dollar eyepieces getting stuck in a holder like that, and then having to beat on the CL with a screwdriver handle while an eyepiece is in it to get it to release.

It sounds like the CL design is really a work in progress, but Baader doesn't realize it since they have yet to recall them for replacement, or offer a consumer-friendly fix that could be applied to them.

5 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Okay, I'm out.  I had thought about getting a Clicklock with 47mm extension to replace the eyepiece holder of my GSO CC plus 25mm M48 spacer ring since it works out to the same length.  I can't bear the thought of having multi-hundred dollar eyepieces getting stuck in a holder like that, and then having to beat on the CL with a screwdriver handle while an eyepiece is in it to get it to release.

It sounds like the CL design is really a work in progress, but Baader doesn't realize it since they have yet to recall them for replacement, or offer a consumer-friendly fix that could be applied to them.

I wouldn’t write them off Louis. Problems are very rare and I’ve never experienced any with numerous different types over the years.

21 hours ago, Rick73 said:

Thanks so much for this post!  Mine stuck in the locked position and I tried like the dickens to get it unlocked to no avail.  The suggestion of using a hair dryer and tapping with the rubberized screwdriver handle did the trick!  I only used the Clicklock a few times and I'm concerned that it locked up already.  I'm thinking I pushed it too hard to the lock position.  Will this be a recurring problem?   I guess I'll see as I use it more.

You don't have to apply very much pressure at all to lock it, so perhaps you did over tighten it. However, if it has locked up already, you should contact Baader and they will replace it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Had the same problem last week on my nexstar 6se. Brand new baader clicklock first time using it it stuck. Had to remove the clicklock and diagonal and bring them in. It released after a few minutes of trying. Weather was not cold. In my box now and reluctant to use it. 

I've had a clicklock on my c8 for over a year and haven't had any issues with it. As ricochet stated above, you don't have to force it round to lock enough to hold something tight.  I'm regularly using mine with a 2" barlow and ZWO asi camera.

Graeme

• Like 1

As a practicing design engineer, the fact that it locks up at all with any customers says to me it has an unresolved design flaw.  I'll wait on getting one until Baader releases an official fix for them or announces a recall.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

OK, so I'm about a year late responding, but my SCT to 2" Baader ClickLock got stuck last night -- the Baader 2" to 1.25" ClickLock Reducer is what was stuck in it.

I took almcl's advice, and used the plastic handle of a medium size screwdriver.  I struck the release knob once or twice with the handle and voila, it opened.  I did have to unscrew it from my SCT, and use rubber work gloves to get a good grip to hold onto it. I hope this will be the exception, and not the rule.  I really don't want to fuss around having to remove my PowerMates and cameras - kind of defeats the purpose.

Thanks to everyone for the help

Edited by ABELL2065

On 18/04/2020 at 02:25, Louis D said:

I have had it happen and I know a couple of other guys who had the same issue over the years, a right hassle to get them free.

Personally I wouldn’t touch them, I don’t think they are anything like the quality people seem to think they are