DIY shroud for truss dobs

I've been looking at shrouds for my Lightbridge 8 and have come to the conclusion that they are VERY expensive for what they are and what they do. I have seen that some people have made their own shrouds for a fraction of the cost and am thinking of doing so myself.

Has anyone tried using a camping mat as a basis for a shroud? You know, the roll-up thing that goes under your sleeping bag. I figure I can buy one of the high-density foam mats for around £5, cut a few bits out so it fits snugly around the truss lock knobs, then put velcro or something down the seam to hold it all together.

I am not very DIY savvy but this seems simple enough and cheap. Has anyone tried using this sort of material for this purpose?

I found that when I made a dew shield from the same stuff the velcro was not strong enough to get over the foams natural urge to lay flat.

This could have just been my weak velcro or the fact that the mat had been rolled for years. I used black tape in the end to keep it in a round shape but I guess that is not ideal if you want to keep removing it.

I went into Dunelm Mill yesterday and asked for blackout material to make a shroud for my 250 Flextube and it was 'white' ??

The lady assured me that all blackout material was white??

I will try my local market when it re opens

Surely the white lining on curtains is just thick material which keeps out the light in which case it could be any colour.

However, i am sure that during the war it was black that people put in their windows so as to prevent glare and reflections as well.

Try your local market stall or back street haberdashery for cheap black material . Attach a few velcro strips along the edge or use little plastic clips (as I do). A very cheap option.

Make sure it is light weight otherwise it will upset the balance of the scope.

Mike

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to create a cyclindrical shape to the shroud for a FlexTube ie only 3 tubes? I tried a camping mat - not a great success.

Mike

I've seen pictures of a Flex Tube wearing a shroud which included integral fibre glass rods (like the ones kite makers use) to make up for the lack of truss rod numbers.

Without something like that there is a risk of the shroud material falling into the light path I think.

John

you could also try and source the thin flexible rods that cable installation bods use... sew some pockets into the material and insert the rods int ot the pockets leave an ovelap on one edge abd fix it with velcro... you will need ferules to joing the two ends to the rod together to form loops...

http://www.kiteshop.co.uk/xcart/kites/spare-parts/?mv_pc=googlespares&gclid=CNHb9vPz5pcCFcsa3godrFOJCQ

Billy

I got some fake leather material from Hobbycraft and my wife hemmed it up on her sewing machine. She then sewed velcro strips on to it's top and bottom and then i fixed some sticky back velcro on to my 12" Lightbridge. To stop the material sagging into the light path I use a strip of plastic formed into a hoop which squeezes over the trusses.

Regards

Kevin

Archived