Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fond memories of two great comets.

Just remembering the time back in the mid 1990's. Two great comets, Comet Hyakutake and comet Hale-Bopp. Those who were around to see these two were fortunate indeed. Hyakutake faded quickly, but Hale-Bopp stuck around in the northern sky. They were great comets being very bright. 

Since then there have been many, many disappoints where comets promised, but faded. The recent Atlas has broken up I believe. When will the next great comet appear I wonder? 

I remember both well.

Hyakutake because I got one single but delightful glimpse between clouds.

Hale-Bopp because it was, most likely, the comet of a lifetime.

Who knows, the next one might be inbound as we speak. Most likely named after an automated survey. Are there even any amateur comet hunters still at it??  

I've always had an interest in astronomy since I was a child but it became a passion after comet Hale Bopp. I bought my first proper telescope soon afterwards an Hardin 8" dob.

Edited by Doc

2007 had two great comets the first was in January with Mc Naught. On the evening of the 10th  I saw it low in the SW  just after sunset some estimates put it at magnitude -6 at the time,it certainly looked brighter than Venus and it had a impressive tail at a angle to the horizon. I saw it only once(then only briefly) as it was racing into the southern hemisphere. The second comet in the autumn was Holmes a puff ball which was bright in binoculars and easily visible with the naked eye.This comet  hardly moved for weeks in Perseus and it swelled  out larger than the Sun.😲

Edited by Les Ewan