Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

Camalajs525

I am having problems on erecting eyepiece 1.5x.

So I'm having some issues recently and have a lot of questions for the erecting eyepiece 1.5x. I want to know if they are useful, better, and i also want to know if they have a lot of detail in them. How do you use a erecting eyepiece? What is it for? When can i use it? Also my issue is when I try to use an erecting eyepiece on a star it is out of focus and cant seem to find the right focus.  yesterday I had tried on sirius but it just showed me a huge ball of light. Any help and tips will be appreciated.

The 1.5x erecting eyepiece turns the image to a fully corrected (ie: up, down, left and right as our eyes see it) view as well as acting as a 1.5x image amplifier. It is intended for terrestrial viewing rather than astro observing I believe.

• Thanks 1

Erecting eyepieces have their uses, but not many for astronomical use. The main purpose of the eyepiece is to allow you to use a telescope designed for viewing astronomical objects at night during the daytime for viewing of terrestrial objects. Astro telescopes give an inverted image, which is probably not ideal for daytime use, so the erecting eyepiece corrects this giving an upright image. Using this type of eyepiece at night serves no use because a star would look the same through either type of eyepiece. 

1 minute ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Erecting eyepieces have their uses, but not many for astronomical use. The main purpose of the eyepiece is to allow you to use a telescope designed for viewing astronomical objects at night during the daytime for viewing of terrestrial objects. Astro telescopes give an inverted image, which is probably not ideal for daytime use, so the erecting eyepiece corrects this giving an upright image. Using this type of eyepiece at night serves no use because a star would look the same through either type of eyepiece. 

So, if I want to observe something at daytime I use the erecting eyepiece? What should I observe at daytime? 

P.S: Sorry for the weird questions, I am very new to this.

Just now, Camalajs525 said:

So, if I want to observe something at daytime I use the erecting eyepiece? What should I observe at daytime? 

Precisely. Many budget telescopes are sold with an erecting eyepiece, giving the buyer the impression that they are getting something extra. The erecting eyepieces have prisms built into then to invert the image, but the extra air/glass surfaces degrade the image. After a short while you will soon get use to viewing an inverted/flipped image so the eyepiece will get lost at the bottom of the eyepiece case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Camalajs525 said:

P.S: Sorry for the weird questions, I am very new to this.

Not astronomical targets. Landscapes, ships at sea, distant animals and birds. That sort of thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John said:

Not astronomical targets. Landscapes, ships at sea, distant animals and birds. That sort of thing.

Thanks.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By BenR
      Hello
      I am new to astronomy, and recently purchased a Celestron Starsense Explorer LT 114AZ, and just for a start, I used the finderscope to locate exactly a random star, and I looked through the eyepiece and just saw a blurry white image. I was using a 25mm eyepiece lens, and then decided to put on the 2x Barlow lens with the 25mm lens, and nothing changed. Is this normal? What should I do to improve?
      Thanks.
    • By Hena
      Hello all, 
      I have come to you all with the "too much asked question". 
      I have been using the telescopes from local Astronomy group since few years, and now during these Corona times, it is harder. So now I have decided to invest some money on getting myself a scope, and would so sooooo would love your inputs. My main concerns are:
      I may use it only once a month or so, I wanted something that I can handle (maybe >10kg). 
      I don't own a car, usually I use a bicycle with a carrier to get around the city.
      (I had a look at the second-hand (5-7 yrs old) Skywatch MAK 127 Cassegrain that my friend was selling with its mount and accessories. I felt it was too massive for me. Especially if I am getting it to a park and setting it up alone).
        I would like to have a look at celestial objects and also at deep space. 
      As far as I know for deep space, I would need a f5 or something with similar focal ratio, and for planetary object a higher focal length (f10 or more) is better.
      I looked into MAK 90-1250, but felt like it might have very narrow FOV. So I am lost here.
        My budget is small (I know that is the biggest problem). I can spare maybe 200€ to 250€. I know its not enough, so I am hoping to start with a decent one (not awesome) and then work my way up. I so need your advice on what might be good parameters to look for
      - I was thinking Newtonian around f8 or so
      - Since its my first scope, maybe get something small and something that I can get comfortable with and use with a bit of ease before getting expensive ones.
      - Also definitely not a Dobsonian mount, I need something that I can set up on lawn or pavement. 
      https://www.bresser.de/en/Brand/Bresser/BRESSER-Venus-76-700-AZ-Reflector-telescope-with-Smartphone-Camera-Adapter.html 
      Is this a good one to start with? Look at planets and maybe some deep sky ones
        https://www.astroshop.de/teleskope/celestron-teleskop-n-127-1000-starsense-explorer-lt-127-az/p,65881#tab_bar_1_select
      I also has my eye on this, but I cant find much reviews  Any other options are quite welcome.
      I tried to setup and use the telescope in the picture, it was quite hard to do it alone and move it around.
      Thanks a lot. Sorry for the saga... 
      Hena

1417b25b-42c8-4909-b731-25c88c7dce42.jfif
    • By AstroHa
      Hi everyone,
      I’m completely new to Astrophotography and am just in the process of choosing my new rig.

does anyone living locally in Hertfordshire have any recommendations for the best areas with the least light pollution around Hemel Hempstead way? 

I’m thinking Ashridge / Ivanhoe so it gets you high enough so leave the worse of light pollution behind - I tried taking some shots from my back garden and it was just consumed by yellow colour cast 😩 
      Any ideas I would grateful - found a thread on Hertfordshire skies but it favoured towards the east of Hertfordshire whereas I’m more West way. 

thanks all! 
    • By Lewis2020
      Hey everyone !
      Hope your all doing as well as you can be with this pandemic ! Im completely new to this stuff, im looking for some advice on the right telescope kit to buy. I dont want to be spending too much cause like im new and wanting to try it out, just hoping you guys have got some suggestions for telescopes for the value.
      Mainly wanting to look at stars (my stepdad passed away 3 weeks ago and my partner bought a "name a star" for him and would love to see it properly) and im interested in see the planets like the rings and stuff too
      Any help would be very appreciated ! 
      Possibly below £100 the cheaper the better at the minute but dont want it to be so cheap and tacky that i can only see the end of the garden through it lol
      Stay safe everyonr

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.