SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Moon, Mars, Saturn and Jupiter

Very nice shot, Dave. I was up until 1am trying to spot a Supernova in Virgo. Slept until 4:15am and then got up for this. Took a pic to share on social media. Also saw the little fella below which was a nice bonus. Didn’t see a single person while I was out so no problems with social distancing 😉

01475057-717A-49B5-872A-03FD9D1DAE11.thumb.jpeg.466340e40f4a042b507926079a46af9f.jpeg098306CE-822F-4B87-9440-A333CF328A66.thumb.jpeg.c15b163f1ecde4e8c118f04ace08321b.jpeg

• Like 12

Lovely shot Dave, it was certainly a fine sight at 5am. Made it worth getting up at silly O’clock!

@Littleguy80 that’s an great catch! I saw a hedgehog for the first time in years the other night, I think the lockdown is suiting them.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Lovely shot Dave, it was certainly a fine sight at 5am. Made it worth getting up at silly O’clock!

@Littleguy80 that’s an great catch! I saw a hedgehog for the first time in years the other night, I think the lockdown is suiting them.

Thanks Stu. We're lucky enough to get them in our garden. Seeing them is one of my favourite parts of observing at this time of the year.

4 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

Really nice. I initially thought both shots were actually one photo, the way they appear on a phone, with a dark fence or branch between the top half and the bottom half.

Magnus

Haha I can see that now you mention it :) 

5 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

Really nice. I initially thought both shots were actually one photo, the way they appear on a phone, with a dark fence or branch between the top half and the bottom half.

Magnus

Me too! 🤣

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

Magnus

Me too..  I blame lack of sleep  :) 

• Haha 2

Very nice guys, I didn't finish imaging until 4.00am so set the camera up in the bedroom window ready then thought I'd just have a nap in the chair waiting for these to appear, woke with a start when it was nearly too late, took a couple of shots but not looked at them yet 😁

Dave

• Like 2

Very nice images of Mars, Saturn & Jupiter + the Moon in the same frame.

It reminds me of the early 2000's when the five 'naked eye' planets were all visible at the same time, like string of pearls strung across the evening sky, for a few weeks.

• Like 2

Just now, Philip R said:

It reminds me of the early 2000's when the five 'naked eye' planets were all visible at the same time, like string of pearls strung across the evening sky, for a few weeks.

I remember that well, quite amazing.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Philip R said:

Very nice images of Mars, Saturn & Jupiter + the Moon in the same frame.

Thank you, April/May 2002 that  was, I have a slide of them all somewhere that I took whilst showing them to the local cub group ..   I shall have a look for it

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Thank you, April/May 2002 that  was, I have a slide of them all somewhere that I took whilst showing them to the local cub group ..   I shall have a look for it

Thanks for that, I can never remember when it was! I recall going up to a local country park to get a good enough horizon to see them all. Amazing to see them all with the Moon alongside too.

EC90D7B5-FD49-4C62-B8E7-D5F14F050D31.png

• Like 6

Excellent images!

I remember walking into work one morning and there being 4 in the early morning sky. It would have been after 2011.

One of the assistant managers was out taking a smoke break, I pointed them out to him. He could believe he was looking at 4 of the planets.

I told him to look at his feet. When he did, I said now you've seen 5 of the 9!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1