Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My new website, Lunar 100 and some articles

wouterdhoye

Hi everybody.

It 's the first time I post in this forum. Usually I reside in the imaging forum. But I believe this post is more fitting over here.

I am in the process of reworking my website. 

www.wouterdhoye.be

as I am a lunar imager it's dedicated to the moon, and off course will feature many of my own images. But not just the images. (that I have Astrobin for) this site is supposed to become a guide to lunar observing and imaging. A big ephasis will be on the Lunar 100. Some pages are online already and should give an impression what direction I'm heading in. However, as I do not make this site just for myself I'd like to ask some of you to have a look, and tell me what you like, or dislike, what feature you'd like me to add, etc.

Thanks for your help people.

Wouter.

Edited by wouterdhoye
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Wouter,

I am a novice when it comes to the Moon.  It's something I want to get into but don't currently have the scope for it... So I always end up frustrated and giving up. When I eventually get a scope more suited I will certainly have a go.

I like the way the lunar 100 is set out and that each feature has its own link with details and photos.  The one thing I always struggle with is finding the right regions of the Moon and getting to know the phases...  So I guess if you could include any additional info on exactly where and how and when best to observe each feature that may be helpful to the beginner..

Great photos too!

Mark

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mark81 said:

Wouter,

I am a novice when it comes to the Moon.  It's something I want to get into but don't currently have the scope for it... So I always end up frustrated and giving up. When I eventually get a scope more suited I will certainly have a go.

I like the way the lunar 100 is set out and that each feature has its own link with details and photos.  The one thing I always struggle with is finding the right regions of the Moon and getting to know the phases...  So I guess if you could include any additional info on exactly where and how and when best to observe each feature that may be helpful to the beginner..

Great photos too!

Mark

Mark, I was in same boat as you. Last year I bought the 2019 Guide To The Night Sky which gives the lunar phase for each day of the year. Additionally, at the start of the book there is a lunar map that lists the major lunar features and on which day of the lunar cycle each feature is best placed. This year I still use the lunar map to plan observations once I have found out what day of the lunar cycle it is (from the Internet).

Edited by Peter_D
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Peter_D said:

Mark, I was in same boat as you. Last year I bought the 2019 Guide To The Night Sky which gives the lunar phase for each day of the year. Additionally, at the start of the book there is a lunar map that lists the major lunar features and on which day of the lunar cycle each feature is best placed. This year I still use the lunar map to plan observations once I have found out what day of the lunar cycle it is (from the Internet).

Thanks for the info Peter,  definitely something to look into when I get my Mak later this year...

Mark

2 hours ago, mark81 said:

W if you could include any additional info on exactly where and how and when best to observe each feature that may be helpful to the beginner..

Great photos too!

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into giving some info on when to observe features. Although it will only be a guideline. something like during waxing gibbous or near first quarter moon...

• Like 1

The website is great Wouter, once the L100 section is complete it will be a valuable resource. I remember when I did the L100 I struggled on some of them as there were no images in the guide of the actual thing I was supposed to be observing.

• Thanks 1

Hi Wouter, I like the site. Simple and clear.

I'm working my way haphazardly through the lunar 100. When I am observing the moon for the lunar 100 I have been using Wikipedia but this requires going back and forth between pages to get from the list to the photo of the object so I think that your layout is a winner.

P.S. I've just book-marked the site for future use. Thanks.

Edited by David Levi
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

First of all a warm thank you for all the nice and supportive comments.

I'd like to make a little update. I'm currently working on adding thumbnail pictures to all the L100 features. I hope to have this finished for all objects which I have imaged already. Afterwards I will start building the individual pages. That will start by adding the maps for every object. detailed comments, my own observations and image galleries will follow after that. 

long story short.. plenty of work ahead.

Stay tuned.

Wouter.

www.wouterdhoye.be

• Like 3

Update on the project:

On the Lunar 100 page all thumbnails are added for features I have a picture of that I deem good enough for the website. If I had no picture I placed a thumbnail of the location map. All maps are created already too.

Next steps:

1) create a page for every L100 feature.

2) Add the map and basic data to each page

3) Add image gallery to each page

4) Add detailed description and observations to each page

Another project that I hope to add too the website is my own lunar atlas based on LROC Quickmpa data. (still waiting on confirmation that I can publish it though) but below a sample of what the maps will look like (I'm open for suggestions)

kaart-testkopie.thumb.jpg.ba98d52f9d0a11bc50171d0143971189.jpg

Thanks for having a look, suggestions or any support and constructive remarks.

Wouter

www.wouterdhoye.be

• Like 1