Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Asiair pro

jaygpoo

I am going mad at present after recieving my ASIAIR PRO. Lovely unit but hell it has a mind of its own. I am using a eq5 mount with an eqmod cable. This cable was used to connect it to my laptop so I am guessing that the cable chip chose a com port and that was that. When I connected it to the asiair I am again guessing that as a new connection to the asiair it assigned a com port and all was working as it should. Then I reconnected the eqmod cable back to my laptop and it could not find the mount?  A computor buff suggested that I look at devises / comports and see where t was connected. The comport was noted / I entered it in eqmod toolbox and I was connected and all worked. Now later I use the asiair again an need the only eqmod cable I have but the com port is now changed and the asiair connected to start with but after going to a target it would not park. Sometimes it work all as it should and then I lose control of the mount and it may move to the target but it looks like it is still moving slowly as the 10 sec image has massive star trails. DO INEED TO BUY another eqmod cable solely for the asiair as I have no way of assigning the com port like in the laptop?

I wonder why your laptop is involved. (Unless perhaps it has an Android platform) What are you using to control the ASIAIR Pro with? Thanks to FLO I received one of the early units but despite my reservations as an ‘early adopter) the Pro worked straight out of the box using the Lynx EQMod cable that I had previously used on the Mk1 version. As MarkAR suggests it simply plugged in to one of the USB ports on the unit with the system being controlled from an iPad. - John

Edited by Grierson

13 hours ago, jaygpoo said:

Then I reconnected the eqmod cable back to my laptop and it could not find the mount?

That's why I suggested hook up ethernet cable, I was thinking that you could check the com port that way.

I am using an ipad to control the asiair. So yesterday I unpluged all power cables and usb's from the asiair and started from scratch. I plugged in the unit power supply an switched on.Then pluged in the mount eqmod cable. Then the camera bits. Connected to the ipad. All was working. I sent it to a target and the mount responded. No platesolving as it was daylight. I manuallymoved the mount an it all worked and the parked. I repeated this serveral times and no problem. Night time arrived and I switched on. It went to M97 amd centered and I started imaging. a while later the clouds rolled in so I decided to pack up[ and park the scope. OH DEAR no. No mount control at all and back to square one. I have no idea what is going on. The old asiair never gave me this trouble an I used the same eqmod cable.

When you say 'no mount control at all' does that mean that when you click on 'Go to Home ...' nothing happens? If that were the case I would be inclined to check the EQMod cable or try it in a different USB port on the Pro. Are you confident that your power supply is holding up during your curtailed imaging session? You may well be aware that there is a dedicated YouTube group for the ASIAIR. It might be worth posing a question or two to them to see if anyone has experienced/cured the same problems. - John 

Ok I own up. After much changing of cables and usb leads FLO suggested that most asiair issues come down to power. I found the cable feeding the mount had a break in it which was making and breaking as I moved it about and when the mount moved. New stronger cable made and problem ceased . Thanks for you input but sorry I was so dumb.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi All, I’ve had similar problems with my 2009 vintage EQ5. I have a brand new Lynx Astro EQDIR cable running from the the ASIAIR PRO (USB) to the handset RJ45 socket on the V3 SynScan power controller unit. The ASIAIR app (on iPad Pro) is set to EQMOD mount, and will sync LAT/LONG with the mount. When instructed, the ASIAIR app indicates it is slewing to target, but nothing happens. When using the SynScan hand controller, the mount responds as normal. I am running 12v, 5A power direct from mains (but admittedly a 15m cable(s) tho cables all new-ish) to ASIAIR and power looks stable, but getting a 12V/10A mains transformer tomorrow. Can this all be down to power? Will update on outcome