Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Should I keep getting data on the iris nebula or move on ?

Danjc

As the title really....I captured 4 hours a couple of weeks ago (bottle 6) 2 hours lum & about 40 minutes each RGB. I wasn’t expecting the dust to exactly leap out but maybe a little more than I got from my processed image. I have read that this target is probably better suited to being captured in darker skies. I realise the more data the better but I’m not sure to keep going with it over a few more nights or to turn my attention to a Galaxy. 
I didn’t save my processed image so can’t post but can share the stacked LRGB data.  

ASI183mm pro @ unity gain 120s subs for all. 

Dan. 

Funnily enough I was looking at my Iris data earlier. I got 3 hours in November. Definitely can see some nice detail and nebulosity but not much of the dust clouds you mention either. I think you'd need 15+ hours under bortle 5/6 to start getting good data on the dusty regions in Cepheus.  I'm dithering whether to get more data on it or shoot a Galaxy instead too. It'll be higher in the sky from 12am onwards, and higher earlier on from May/June. But then again my North facing side of the back garden is much darker than the South, no light pollution to the North so its a nice area of the sky for me.

20 minutes ago, smr said:

But then again my North facing side of the back garden is much darker than the South, no light pollution to the North so its a nice area of the sky for me.

Sounds pretty much like my garden and sky conditions.