Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

SteveBz

EQDIR for EQ5 SynScan controller

Hi Guys,

Wim has wisely persuaded me to go for an eqdir cable from my RPi to my SynScan controller. I currently have a usb:db9 + db9:st4 setup to the SynScan handset (ie 3 cables connected). Can I just change the db9 to st4 to a db9:Rj45 or similar? Eg:
 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201608325158

Plus an old ethernet cable? Ie does the pinout of an ethernet cable correspond to the pinout of the SynScan controller handset socket?

Regards

Steve.

If you use that RJ45\DSub connector, you can usually remove-re-isnsert the interconnect wires (taking care) then a standard ethernet cable will suffice, and can be any length (within reason)

• Like 1

To me an EQDir cable is one that completely bypasses the hand controller. Something like this

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

If you use that RJ45\DSub connector, you can usually remove-re-isnsert the interconnect wires (taking care) then a standard ethernet cable will suffice, and can be any length (within reason)

Hi Julian,

Ie rewire?  As I remember it, the cable only has four relevant wires, vin, gnd, tx, rx, plus a conversion chip say MAX232  are they different on an ethernet plug than a Synscan plug?

OK, yes they are.  Here are the pinouts:

Standard ethernet:

https://ditzymummyliz.blogspot.com/2017/09/scanexpress-jet-peripheral-tests-part-2.html#

Hmm, I don't really want to do the soldering. 

Either a cheap one from aliexpress or stick with my usb to st4 (here's one for under a tenner).

Is there any difference between usb to st4 and usb to rj45?

Regards

Steve.

2 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

As an alternative try the Synscan USB adapter

Can I plug this into the main controller.  The ad just says the handset.

S

17 minutes ago, SteveBz said:

Can I plug this into the main controller.  The ad just says the handset.

S

The Synscan }USB dongle is an alternative to an EQDIR cable plugs into the mount's handset port.

• Like 1

If you want to make it up yourself, you buy one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-to-TTL-Serial-Cable-FTDI-Genuine-chipset-5V-Transparent-with-LEDs/292901772167 , you can then either totally remove the cable that comes with it and fit up an Cat5 cable, with appropriate connections (only four required), or splice a cat5 cable onto the existing....

The one thing I would say, what I have linked to is a 5v switching, there is also a 3.3v switching version, and you will need to chaeck which version you need for your mount.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The Synscan }USB dongle is an alternative to an EQDIR cable plugs into the mount's handset port.

OK. Nice. A good alternative.

I'm thinking of this one:

#Aliexpress £4.80 | PC or Asiair to HEQ5 skywatcher EQMOD hand controller HC replaced synscan goto eqmod cable
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dXuQCMM

Steve.

8 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

If you want to make it up yourself, you buy one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-to-TTL-Serial-Cable-FTDI-Genuine-chipset-5V-Transparent-with-LEDs/292901772167 , you can then either totally remove the cable that comes with it and fit up an Cat5 cable, with appropriate connections (only four required), or splice a cat5 cable onto the existing....

The one thing I would say, what I have linked to is a 5v switching, there is also a 3.3v switching version, and you will need to chaeck which version you need for your mount.

I have played with this before. I find it hard to get the tx/rx right. If you look at it from the controller it's one way, if you look at it from the computer it's the other. It doesn't really matter because it'll take +/- 18v according to the rs232 spec, nonetheless it's confusing. A tenner to China seems well spent.

Steve.

FORGET RS232, these interfaces are NOT rs232 compliant, if you put a fully compliant rs232 device into your mount\handset, you'll have more work to do repairing things....

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

FORGET RS232, these interfaces are NOT rs232 compliant, if you put a fully compliant rs232 device into your mount\handset, you'll have more work to do repairing things....

I suppose I should have realised that.  It was just a convenient plug shape (or not).

So what do you think of this one?

#Aliexpress £4.80 | PC or Asiair to HEQ5 skywatcher EQMOD hand controller HC replaced synscan goto eqmod cable
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dXuQCMM

S.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.....  I've always made my own up, so can't comment, but to me it does seem cheap IF its a legit chipset....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

You pays your money, you takes your choice.....  I've always made my own up, so can't comment, but to me it does seem cheap IF its a legit chipset....

So, the other choice is to take the existing USB->DB9 bit (with the ttl chip) and change the DB9->ST4 part with one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cisco-Systems-72-3383-01-Rev-A2-Blue-rj45-to-DB9-6ft/353035986686?hash=item523295a6fe:g:PyYAAOSwUPVb-9nv

3 quid.

And replace the RJ45 plug with another, correctly wired, of which I have many hanging around.

S.

NO, that will be RS232 compliant, you must stop just looking for a cheap as chips product, it probably won't work, & will more than likely damage your gear.....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

NO, that will be RS232 compliant, you must stop just looking for a cheap as chips product, it probably won't work, & will more than likely damage your gear.....

But, Julian, the FT232 chip is already in my current USB->DB9.  The cable I showed you is straight through,  just needs the pins fixing.  Just swapping a 6 pin tail for an 8 pin tail.

Is that not right?

S

If it has a DB9, that usually means it\was for an older EQ6, is that correct ?

• Like 1

I looked into this in the past for my NE EQ6. I have to say the so called FTDI  Chinese chips were definitely  NOT  genuine chips.  There were plenty of websites complaining at that time about these Chinese FTDI chipsets. I believe if I remember correctly, FTDI did something to stop these  FTDI chips working correctly. You can't go wrong trying one but at your peril. I even bought so called genuine FTDI chips here in the UK and they were not, they failed. I also bought FTDI from RS and they worked immediately.

Your choice !!

Derek

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

If it has a DB9, that usually means it\was for an older EQ6, is that correct ?

It's for an EQ5. I'll attach a photo.

DSC_0187.JPG

DSC_0186.JPG

I also wonder why different mounts require specific cables. Do they each have different pinouts?

yes, the DB9 you have is not the right adaptor for an EQ5, you will need of the adaptors I linked to. BTW when you have an appropriate adaptor, you won't be using the handset anymore, as the adaptor plugs into the motor box instead of the handset.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

yes, the DB9 you have is not the right adaptor for an EQ5, you will need of the adaptors I linked to. BTW when you have an appropriate adaptor, you won't be using the handset anymore, as the adaptor plugs into the motor box instead of the handset.

So this is the cable I have currently going from a pc to the handset.

DSC_0189.thumb.JPG.f5599dfb1ac009a1f986720c6fda510a.JPG

DSC_0190.thumb.JPG.9039c81534c05e6749cd18fc8562b9ee.JPG

I was wondering if I could keep the black one with the 232 chip in it, and just swap the grey one. Then remove the handset and cable, and plug straight into the controller?

S

You just need to plug your grey one into the motor control unit (Hand Controller), instead of the handset, the guider\st4 port is a feed from the guide camera, and can be ignored. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now