Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

alanjgreen

New Supernova targets for April 2020

Posted (edited)

With clear nights forecast next week and the moon getting later to rise 😀, I have done some SN research this morning to id some targets for next week...

Here are some scans of my research notes and star charts for use next week...

I will be targeting the following new SN:

1. AT2020ftl, NGC4277, Mag 14.9
  2. SN2020dko, NGC5258, Mag 16.6
  3. AT2020enm, IC1222, Mag 16.7
  4. SN2020fqv, NGC4568 (Siamese Twins), Mag 15.3
  5. SN2020fcw, NGC5635, Mag 16.1
  6. SN2020ees, NGC5157, Mag 16.5

sn-p1.jpg.db34d72926285f152acf159570e1fa71.jpg sn-p2.jpg.7fe53d6026c31b01467a80fc85349704.jpg sn-p3.jpg.7bda68b1378cec1a305a260954fa5b7f.jpg

Happy hunting...

Alan

Edited by alanjgreen
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Those are some properly faint targets!

Won’t stop me trying though.

Thanks for posting.

Paul

• Like 1

Supernova are "super" to spot. The contrast between the point of light and the fuzzy galaxy is pretty special.

I might have a chance with the 14.9 one.

Mark

• Like 1

Thanks Alan.

Good to know they are there even if they are beyond most of us.

Mag 14.7 is as faint as I've got with my 12 inch scope from home so I may have a shout at the mag 14.9 one if a really good night comes along. At least it is in a relatively bright galaxy !

• Like 1

Thought I'd grab a quick sub of NGC4277 using the 127 Mak to get a better idea of what was going on.  Even given its somewhat narrow field of view there are bucketloads of galaxies there!

James

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Thought I'd grab a quick sub of NGC4277 using the 127 Mak to get a better idea of what was going on.  Even given its somewhat narrow field of view there are bucketloads of galaxies there!

James

It's not called "The Realm of the Galaxies" for nothing !

Hope you get a decent result :smiley:

Blooming clouds are really annoying here tonight - just get the scope on something and then it's gone :rolleyes2:

7 minutes ago, John said:

Blooming clouds are really annoying here tonight

It was very cloudy here earlier.  I didn't think I was going to get out at all.  Much better now though.  Looks like the clear sky is probably heading your way, too.

James

• Thanks 1

It is forecast to get clearer as the night wears on but I'm probably not going to stick it out.

There are some decent nights forecast over the next 7 days with the moon rising in the early hours so hopefully darker skies for DSOs.

SN2020ftl looks quite bright.. Thanks for the inspiration!

SN2020ftl 9x120s C11Edge IDAS D1 DDL raw.jpg

SN2020ftl 9x120s C11Edge IDAS D1 DDL annotated.jpg

SN2020ftl 9x120s C11Edge IDAS D1 DDL edit.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Here are last nights results - three successes and one fail.

Note that AT2020ftl has brightened to mag 14.4.

Edited by alanjgreen

Think I managed to get SN2020ftl tonight:

• Like 1

Looks like we have further candidates to check out:

1. SN2020ekk, UGC10528, Mag 16.7

2.jpg.20072138d653dbc2a49170406c068bfe.jpg

2. AT2020gdw, NGC5111, Mag 15.8

3.jpg.796ef675019a0618117b1aab28ffa216.jpg

3. AT2020gpe, NGC6214, Mag 16.2

1.jpg.e81fd2dfafaab8f546e2b63f05053a80.jpg

I have also had a couple more success stories, here is the summary:

AT2020ftl, NGC4277, observed 11 & 13 April

SN2020dko, NGC5258, observed 13 April

AT2020enm, IC1222, failed so far

SN2020fqv, NGC4568 Siamese Twins, observed 11 & 13 April

SN2020fcw, NGC5635, observed 11 & 13 April

SN2020ees, NGC5157, observed 13 April

Best of luck,

Alan

• Like 1

Thanks for these reports Alan :thumbright:

AT2020ftl is the only one that is within my grasp here with my 12 inch, unless one of the others does something interesting, but I've really enjoyed observing that one over the past 2 nights. Great part of the sky to have a decent aperture on as well :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here is my report of another night of SN hunting. Conditions were not as good as two nights back but I did manage to observe SN2020ekk  & SNAT2020gpe  which were new targets identified yesterday...

Alan

Edited by alanjgreen
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

New supernovae target in NGC3643 named 2020hvf discovered 21/4/20.

Brightness is now reported at mag 14.4

Image here 2020hvf_DE_C202004262053.jpg

Good luck,

Alan

Edited by alanjgreen
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By alanjgreen
      Here are my SN targets for next week (weather permitting)...
      1.NGC 3643, SN2020hvf, Mag 12.4 (observed on 27th April & 8th May)
      http://www.rochesterastronomy.org/supernova.html?#2020hvf

2.M61, SN2020jfo, Mag 14.5 (observed on 8th May)
      http://www.rochesterastronomy.org/supernova.html?#2020jfo

3.NGC 6118, SN2020hvp, Mag 14.6
      http://www.rochesterastronomy.org/supernova.html?#2020hvp

4.UGC 10561, SN2020hvq, Mag 15.9
      http://www.rochesterastronomy.org/supernova.html?#2020hvq

5.PGC 056685, SN2020fhs, Mag 16.1
      http://www.rochesterastronomy.org/supernova.html?#2020fhs

(Remember to rotate the finder charts 180 degrees to match the view to a dob)
      HTH,
      Alan
    • By alanjgreen
      Report of my Virgo supernova hunting from 0200-0400 on morning of Jan 19th 2020.
      Equipment: 20" dobsonian f3.6. Televue Delite 18.2mm & PVS14 night vision device.
      Outcome: 4 supernovae observed successfully.

NGC4441 & SN2019yvq - Supernova obvious and immediately seen. Held in direct vision close in to the core.

M100 & SN2020oi - Bright supernova outshines the core close in and is easily split from the core too. Decent amount of galaxy shape and faint arm structure fills the fov.

NGC4636 & SN2020ue - This is a little trickier as you need to determine which "star" is the supernova. But the supernova "star" is the brightest of the patch of five it sits within. Use the two brightest stars just outside the core to orientate yourself (images were upside down for me). The faint star closest to the core is the hardest to spot and was intermittent for me. The next 2 stars from the core are the most obvious (and the SN is one of these 2). The final 2 stars in the group of five take some staring to get to see but once you locate them you can continue to see them.

NGC4666 & SN2019yvr - The toughest of the bunch! The galaxy is huge and clear in the fov. There is a group of 3 tight stars above (for orientation purposes) and the SN is located underneath away from the flat disk. I had to wait a few seconds before I got a brief glimpse of the SN as the galaxy drifted across the view. I glimpses it 4 more times during my time letting it drift across the fov. A toughie for sure.

http://www.rochesterastronomy.org/supernova.html?#2019yvr
      Hope this helps others find them,
      Alan
    • By alanjgreen
      Scope: 20” f3.6 Lukehurst Dob with Paracorr (fl = 2089mm & f4.1).
      Night Vision: PVS-14 with Photonis 4g INTENS.
      Eyepieces: DeLite 18.2mm (f5.8 x115).

I was out supernovae hunting last night with three SN targets planned
      1= NGC109/SN2019upw
      2= UGC11860/SN2019tua
      3= UGC11979/SN2019tgm

I am happy to report that I observed 2 out of 3. Here are some notes to help others.

NGC109 /  SN2019upw

This one is fairly straightforward as there are few field stars in the area. Once you find the three brighter stars in a triangle then the galaxy is easily seen in the centre. There are 4 faint stars on one side of the galaxy and one on the other. The SN is separate from the core. As I was only using x115 magnification then the split was not straightforward and time was needed to wait and observe for the split to come and go!

UGC11860/SN2019tua

This galaxy was really well placed at the zenith at around 1830 last night. The galaxy was not seen but the SN is there. It takes time to find the right spot but there is a field star "3D cube" just above, once you find the cube then you can find the SN. (See stars marked A,B,C,D on my diagram, the Supernova is X).

UGC11979/SN2019tgm

This is the toughest, there are so many field stars that it is hard to find what to match to the internet images. Anyway, it turned out that I was looking in the wrong place but the stars I drew do match the images so I was just a small way off. 
      Look carefully at my sketch and there are two rows of field stars (the 3+2 and the 3, the middle star of the lower 3 is a double), if you can find these two rows of stars at the eyepiece then the SN is in-between these rows as shown by the blue box (added this morning). I was looking further up in a tight cluster of stars where the tiny galaxy appeared to be (my mistake!).

Happy hunting!
      Alan
    • By MartinB
      This has been a bit of a project.  Last year I worked out that my 200mm Canon F2.8 lens and ASI1600 would frame the whole of the Veil complex quite nicely.  I captured Ha and OIII data for the east and west nebulae with a Tak FSQ 106 and added this into the widefield image.  Although the Tak data had to be shrunk down it did add a bit of extra resolution where it was needed.  
      The difficulty for me has been the processing.  I have found it really difficult to tease out the faint wisps of detail and have tried the usual routines of micro contrast adjustments using curves along with Scott Rosen's Screen blend/mask inversion method but the results weren't great owing to the close proximity of faint and bright nebulosity.  I'd heard about the PI process tool for removing stars, Starnet, so loaded this and had a rare foray into PI.  This proved very helpful.  It was a luminence created from Ha and OIII using the 200mm lens with the Tak data mixed in.  Then the starless layer was added in PS with the screen blend mode at 50% opacity.  The nebulosity detail was so well preserved I didn't need a mask.  After blending I reduced the stars a bit more using the starless layer again and darken as the blend at 50%.  I should really unleash some of the stars to add a bit of "punch" but I've wrestled with this data enough for now!  I plan to use it further as I look deeper into the Gorgon that is PixInsight!
      Telescope: Tak 106 for E and W veils.  Canon 200mmL lens
      Camera: ZWO ASI 1600 pro mono cmos, Gain 150, offset 50
      Filters: Baader 7nm OIII and Ha
      E+W Veil 10x30 mins each channel for each nebula.  Whole complex 50x5mins for each channel
      Captured with SGP, calibrated, aligned and combined with PI, processed mainly with PS but PI for Starnet.  Ha mapped to red and OIII to both blue and green

• By alanjgreen
      After spending a couple of hours on bright galaxies and comets, I turned my attention to Supernova (as the Plough finally appeared from behind the shed roof).
      First up was SN2018hna in UGC7534 (mag 14.9) in Ursa Major.
      - I had observed this one already so I was on a "confirmation" mission. I soon located the oblong of stars (at the centre of the images), one corner of this oblong is the SN. I spent some time and noted another faint close-in star (to confirm on the image today) and everything matches up.
      - With the 55mm Plossl and Night Vision the core of UGC7534 really lights up and all you see of the galaxy disk is a smudge to the south of the core.

Next up was a new SN for me. SN2019va in UGC8577 (mag 16.7!). Its located near the arm of the Plough.
      - With the 55mm Plossl, I soon matched the star patterns to my sketch (that I made from the images earlier). There was no sign of the galaxy but there are other visible UGCs in the fov (to add confusion). There was no sign of the SN.
      - I swapped in the Panoptic 35mm (x60 magnification) and the fainter stars got a little clearer. I was now sensing a disturbance in the centre of the fov which must have been the galaxy disk. A point of light blinked in and out three or four times. I noted the position based on the star pattern and was able to confirm the blinking dot in the correct location.
      Hopefully, SN2019va will get a little brighter by the time I get another shot.
      Alan

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.