sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Anywhere near Whirlpool - M51

Evening all

Wondering if anyone can help.

Attempting to work out if I can capture any Galaxies and as M51 seems to be above me thought I’d give it a go tonight.

From what I can determine the bright star in this photo is Alkaid and from what I can see on my APP, M51 should be to the right of here.

Using your skills, is M51 in theory in this frame (and my lens simply can’t pick it up) or have I not gone far enough over?

many thanks as always all.

matt

DF1B0FD1-510A-4129-AC32-51B0C0006EE4.jpeg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, managed a better pic tonight, can actually make out the Whirlpool 🥳

Here is a screenshot from Cartes du Ciel showing a rough outline of your photo.  M51 is quite a bit off the top.  

Just for clarity, as this is the Getting Started With Observing section. I know the OP has mentioned "capture" so is probably referring to AP. However, M51 is not an easy find for a beginner

Posted Images

Hi there

Im using a 300mm canon lens, this photo is full zoom. So wasn’t sure if just couldn’t see it with this lens/too much light pollution or just simply not aiming in the right place. Can’t see it with the naked eye here - oh and this was a single 26sec sub

Edited by MattGP
5 hours ago, don4l said:

Here is a screenshot from Cartes du Ciel showing a rough outline of your photo.  M51 is quite a bit off the top.

NotM51.jpg

Ah this is awesome many thanks 🙏 

3 hours ago, Anthony1979 said:

What app is this please 

Just googled it and 

Description

Cartes du Ciel is a free and open source planetarium program for Linux, macOS, and Windows. With the change to version 3, Linux has been added as a target platform, licensing has changed from freeware to GPLv2 and the project moved to a new website. 

It will be difficult to spot in polluted skies. from my place which is bortle 8-9 on light pollution scale, M51 once showed up as two very small fudgy patches of light. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Pankaj said:

It will be difficult to spot in polluted skies. from my place which is bortle 8-9 on light pollution scale, M51 once showed up as two very small fudgy patches of light. 

I suspect mine would be similar, just looked on light pollution map and where I am is pretty high up....weirdly tho I would be happy with a photographing a small fudge patch of light tho :) 

Just for clarity, as this is the Getting Started With Observing section.

I know the OP has mentioned "capture" so is probably referring to AP.

However, M51 is not an easy find for a beginner, it is a faint fuzzy.

Took me a long time to find it when I first tried.

My skies are pretty dark and I'm lucky if I see any detail at all through the 8".

1246701830_Figure3_2.jpg.2c2a713fa1f6fd120d61e569781b94b6.jpg

Hope that helps. :)

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, bingevader said:

My skies are pretty dark and I'm lucky if I see any detail at all through the 8".

Many thanks, everything helps at the moment, am a total noob at AP and consequently observing too :)

This star maps are super helpful, I’m literally just using an app and my eyes, but clearly the apps are only giving me a general area rather than a true “this is where it is pointer”. Hopefully skies will be clear again tonight so can have another go, as said tho I really would be happy with just a smidge considering am using a non Ap modded dslr with what is a kit lens too :) 

15 hours ago, bingevader said:

Having a quick review of a few pics taken tonight and can see that this one matches up with your link above (the trapezium shape) so was very nearly there  - or may well have been in this pic?......

HUNTING CLOSEST.JPG

Ok having looked at some more start charts am pretty sure that if I could see it, I would be seeing it in the bottom right part of his pic, alas I can’t 😢

So I move to a target I can pick up with current set up :) 

BDE4121C-67B2-4102-B59C-7D9E97762C61.jpeg

8 hours ago, MattGP said:

Ok having looked at some more start charts am pretty sure that if I could see it, I would be seeing it in the bottom right part of his pic, alas I can’t 😢

Bottom left.

m51.png.67d52c66e191f4e9fad84499a91a1cb2.png

1 hour ago, Ricochet said:

Bottom left.

m51.png.67d52c66e191f4e9fad84499a91a1cb2.png

Oh wow really (I need to learn to read star charts better).

Can I ask what helped you identify? Edit ah of course that Alkaid to the left :)

i know what I’m doing later but on a higher zoom :) 

Many thanks

Matt

Edited by MattGP
1 hour ago, MattGP said:

Can I ask what helped you identify? Edit ah of course that Alkaid to the left

It was actually quite difficult looking at the photo to know where to start as I had no idea of how large an area of sky I was looking at. I pulled your image into a second window and compared it side by side with the image posted by @bingevader and compared star patterns. Once I had an idea of scale and position and knew where to look, it was recognition of the cores from my experience observing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Ricochet said:

It was actually quite difficult looking at the photo to know where to start as I had no idea of how large an area of sky I was looking at. I pulled your image into a second window and compared it side by side with the image posted by @bingevader and compared star patterns. Once I had an idea of scale and position and knew where to look, it was recognition of the cores from my experience observing it.

Oh wow. can see it now :) My sense of scale for this photo was well off - thanking you again :)

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

You could use astrometry.net to platesolve your image

ooh not heard of this site before...is it straight forward to use?   edit.....very straight forward ;)

Edited by MattGP

Many thanks all, well I can now locate M51 with ease just by pointing camera :)

However this photo is the max zoom 300mm I can get with my lens and whilst I think it's still pretty cool that a non AP camera with a non AP lens can pick up an object 23 million light years away, it does confirm why I need to invest in what I'm thinking of an Evostar 72ed :)

m51 edit.JPG

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MattGP said:

Many thanks all, well I can now locate M51 with ease just by pointing camera :)

However this photo is the max zoom 300mm I can get with my lens and whilst I think it's still pretty cool that a non AP camera with a non AP lens can pick up an object 23 million light years away, it does confirm why I need to invest in what I'm thinking of an Evostar 72ed :)

m51 edit.JPG

it is in this picture at the middle right side, those 2 fluffy patches.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

I'd take 150 images and stack them it will pull more data for you to process

Stacking is still on my need to learn list :)  

Often read on here about people taking a huge amount of subs to get a decent picture, I’m not sure I would have the time to be able to do these large amount (i have a manual shutter cable at mo).

I wonder looking at how good at this zoom the pic would be tho, as really does look more like a smudge.

6 minutes ago, Wiu-Wiu said:

it is in this picture at the middle right side, those 2 fluffy patches.

Hi there, yeah couple of users above helped me work out where it was and how to find it :) 

This was photo was me finding it last night :) 

I control the 1100d using my android phone using dslr controller and once I'm happy with the settings I used the time lapse function and leave it running in the back garden. Or you could probably use an intravolometer, I bought one for about £10 to take all the photos.

• Like 1