Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Humboldt 8/4/20

mikeDnight

A quick observation from last night. I wasn't initially going to post it, as some of the minor craters aren't too accurately positioned, but its still a good representation of the view. The Moon was quite low and there was softness to the view caused by haze, yet the view remained steady.

IMG_5894.thumb.JPG.402f5e9e54c987aa8a09b75ded075168.JPG

• Like 15

Thankyou everyone for your kind comments. I didn't imagine I'd get much from this sketch, which is a nice surprise.  Especially surprising  was the magnificent 10/10/9.9 from Ruud. Much better than any of my old school reports from the 60's & 70's, which pretty much all say "Nice boy, could try harder."  😊 

• Like 2

Hi Mike, The reason your sketch works so well is that you have captured the low contrast/softness of view when we are viewing craters under intense lunar illumination. I struggle to capture the softness when sketching edge of moon landscapes.

I am assuming you blended the pencil on fairly smooth paper?

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike JW said:

Hi Mike, The reason your sketch works so well is that you have captured the low contrast/softness of view when we are viewing craters under intense lunar illumination. I struggle to capture the softness when sketching edge of moon landscapes.

I am assuming you blended the pencil on fairly smooth paper?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes, it is quite a smooth papered sketch pad. I used cotton buds for softening the edges rather than a blending stump for this sketch. I don't do enough lunar sketching and need much more practice!

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Somehow missed this one Mike. Lovely sketch, very natural. I too spent quite a while looking at Humbolt that night, really enjoyed it.

Thanks Stu,

Would you believe it was all done with mirrors?