SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Morpheus first light

russ.will

Actually, a first light for everything. After a 3 year lay off for one reason or another, my 8" Messier Dob and a brace of Morpheus turned up this morning. First impressions?

I would perhaps prefer a millimetre or two of extra depth on the eyecup to assist in keeping eye position constant, but even then it wasn't exact;y an issue. I've struggled with long ER EPs in the past. I did not enjoy my Delos despite them having the eyecup to end all eyecups. Even with that assistance, I felt like I was treading a very fine line between losing view of the field stop and kidney beaning. I spent more time concentrating on using them than relaxing to look through them. Of course, other's mileage varied greatly in this respect and although I wear glasses, I do not need them to view.

The Morpheus are bang on for me and from memory the 78deg AFoV (much like my old ES82s) is a very natural viewing experience. I had the Maxvision SWAs and other 68/70deg EPs and found it adequate. I adored my ES100s for many reasons, but mainly because they removed the field stop and what happens near it right out of view; it was just a limitless pool of stars and I also had no trouble with eye position with them. Very relaxing.

The Morpheus, on first acquaintance seem to offer ample AFoV, an easy relationship with eye position, are happy in an F6 Newt (as should any EP be)  seem to be very colour neutral and do it at a price I would not have believed when I last swam in this pond.  I simultaneously overjoyed at the value progress has finally delivered and slightly miffed at the money I spent before.

I look forward to spending more time on the lawn with them and hope that the inevitable APM UFF 30mm that seems likely next month delivers on the internet hype like the Morpheus have.

Russ

IMG_20200408_224456.jpg

Edited by russ.will
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Hi Russ, glad you like the eyepiece. Have you tried the extra ring to lift the eye cup? This may take away too much eye relief, but you get some back if you fold down the rubber sleeve.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ricochet said:

Congrats on the purchases. Did your scope come with that straight through finder or did you add it as an extra? It looks like they've made a couple of changes since I got mine. 

It came with it. I was expecting and would rather have had the red dot. Flimsy it may be, but the 6x30 is plastic (quite clear though) but back breaking to use!

Russ

Nice to hear you found an eyepiece that complements your particular needs with the Morpheus.

I see you did not get on with the TV Delos, considering there strong support and quality that other members on this site feel towards the Delos. I think again it just shows how eyepiece choice is such a personal thing, this does seem especially true when it comes to eye placement and field of view issues. 

Enjoy

• Like 1

23 hours ago, russ.will said:

Actually, a first light for everything. After a 3 year lay off for one reason or another, my 8" Messier Dob and a brace of Morpheus turned up this morning. First impressions?

I would perhaps prefer a millimetre or two of extra depth on the eyecup to assist in keeping eye position constant, but even then it wasn't exact;y an issue. I've struggled with long ER EPs in the past. I did not enjoy my Delos despite them having the eyecup to end all eyecups. Even with that assistance, I felt like I was treading a very fine line between losing view of the field stop and kidney beaning. I spent more time concentrating on using them than relaxing to look through them. Of course, other's mileage varied greatly in this respect and although I wear glasses, I do not need them to view.

The Morpheus are bang on for me and from memory the 78deg AFoV (much like my old ES82s) is a very natural viewing experience. I had the Maxvision SWAs and other 68/70deg EPs and found it adequate. I adored my ES100s for many reasons, but mainly because they removed the field stop and what happens near it right out of view; it was just a limitless pool of stars and I also had no trouble with eye position with them. Very relaxing.

The Morpheus, on first acquaintance seem to offer ample AFoV, an easy relationship with eye position, are happy in an F6 Newt (as should any EP be)  seem to be very colour neutral and do it at a price I would not have believed when I last swam in this pond.  I simultaneously overjoyed at the value progress has finally delivered and slightly miffed at the money I spent before.

I look forward to spending more time on the lawn with them and hope that the inevitable APM UFF 30mm that seems likely next month delivers on the internet hype like the Morpheus have.

Russ

The rubber eyecup is attached to a metal ring that threads onto the top of the eyepiece.

Included in the box is a small ring that can thread onto the eyepiece UNDER the threaded eyecup, raising the eyecup several millimeters.

You may find that makes the effective eye relief *just right* for avoiding the blackouts that come from getting too close to the eye lens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/04/2020 at 00:11, Don Pensack said:

The rubber eyecup is attached to a metal ring that threads onto the top of the eyepiece.

Included in the box is a small ring that can thread onto the eyepiece UNDER the threaded eyecup, raising the eyecup several millimeters.

You may find that makes the effective eye relief *just right* for avoiding the blackouts that come from getting too close to the eye lens.

Well, I had another couple of hours free of cloud to play tonight and tried out the extension ring with and without the eyecup up. No problems achieving a steady eye position with either, although I preferred it with eyecup up from the point of view of blocking out extraneous light.

What it also showed is what easy, relaxing EPs the Morpheus are to spend time looking through. I spent over an hour on the Leo Triplet first through the 17.5 and then the 12.5 probably only removed my eye from either eyepieces a couple of times. Considering what I have spent before, I'm very happy with these little EPs.

I have an ES82 24mm arriving as a bit more of a finder EP, so it will be interesting to see how my somewhat distant memories of that line stack up in comparison.

Russ

• Like 2