SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

One for @JeremyS and his ilk

andrew s

Ok so once lock down is over how many simultaneous visual observers could you accomodate using you kit.

Minimum requirement is a fuctioning telescope and mount. Any astro capable telescope any class of mount (no hedges or railings). Winner gets a to be announced prize.

Me currently zero.

Over to you.

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 here. No binoviewers involved. 5 if one makes do with a birding scope. 6 if I got my old 60mm refractor out of the loft. Quite a few more if binoculars can be pressed into use :smiley:

• Like 1

Well that's handy.  I wasn't going to count my solar scope on the grounds that no-one else would be likely to be using non-solar scopes for astronomy at the same time.

James

Now that's an interesting one, @andrew s. Perhaps a group photo...?

Rate limiting step is having enough mounts for the OTA's. Not helped that one mount I took with me to India is now stuck somewhere between Bangalore and Manchester in my airfreight awaiting flights to resume. On the way out it (for me) was routed via Jeddah. But I digress....

I'd say 8. Or 9 if you add the H_alpha. You need to specify if daytime or nighttime. I suppose it could be daytime as Sun and Venus are visible during the day atm.

However, I'll subtract 1 as the C11 is only over used for CCD imaging.

23 minutes ago, andrew s said:
27 minutes ago, Stu said:

Do solar scopes count?

Yes

Good to see this is now specified. The answer came as I was counting and the recounting the OTA's....

Edited by JeremyS
  • Haha 1

Superb topic.

skytee2 with both 150 Maks. Count 2

az-eq6 with second saddle with 300p plus Mak 180. Count 2

eqm-35 with 200p. Count 1

Manfrotto and pan-tilt head with Kowa 883. Count 1

Report, bento geared head plus Leica Televid 62. Count 1

I have enough eyepieces to go round, with the spotting scopes having their own.

put me down for 7.

Edit: breaking news: make that 8!

i could just about get my LZOS 105 onto a Slik Tripod I have...

i sincerely hope Catherine doesn’t read this...

Edited by Captain Magenta
  • Haha 2

I could probably provide for five, 60mm, 70mm, 100mm, 115mm 250mm,  but I also have two spare mounts, so two could bring their own tubes.  I bringing their own scopes, I could comfortably offer room for about 12 observers with scopes.  

The downside would be that all those with big reflectors, would go home thoroughly disheartened after looking through my 100mm Tak. 😂

• Haha 2

As JeremyS says, mounts probably are the limiting factor.  Fortunately I got to add one when I went to the observatory and saw the EQ1 that I'd forgotten about :)

If I put two OTAs on each of the mounts that would be able to carry more than one and one each on the EQ1, the AZ3 and Star Adventurer that would give me eleven, with the "little" dob making twelve.  The "big" dob isn't fixed up yet so I can't count that, but if it could just be considered an alt-az mount for the 80mm finder I might claim a cheeky thirteen :D

Fortunately I've not started chopping up the Evostar 102 for the PST mod yet, otherwise I'd have to dock one for that.

And if anyone tells my wife I shall claim that my account must have been hacked...

James

• Haha 2