Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lyrids Meteor Shower April 2020

Fozzie

Quick Heads up on this.. lyrids go from roughly the 16th to the 26th April, with peak around 22nd.. Will be near a new moon too.. 

Let's hope weather plays ball, 

Ta

Fozzie

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I think it was the night of the 16th I saw a faint one coming from the East and a couple of faint possibles but the night before was a really bright shooter heading South from the Big Dipper.

Ah fab, I haven't managed to see any yet, I think it's probably just because I haven't spent enough time looking, will try again later. Is it better to look from 10pm or later? I have seen conflicting information so I'm not really sure when is best to start looking.

Jo

No idea what time is best, for me it's pot luck just looking at the sky whilst my rig is imaging. Saw a couple more bright ones from the north last night within a fraction of a second of each other.

i saw an amazing one last night, first one of the year, was going out to lock the shed up and saw it, was amazing, had to be one of the slowest meteors ive seen burn up, was lovely, i hope to see a lot more tonight at my dark spot for the peak

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dweller25 said:

@Fozzie Was it at 9:25pm if so I saw it too - it burned red to green ?

I think that's the one I saw too - not sure of the exact time but definitely past 22:15 CET and in my South Western sky.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dweller25 said:

@Fozzie Was it at 9:25pm if so I saw it too - it burned red to green ?

Sounds about the right sort of time, I'd stepped out for the first of the two starlinks, about 21:20 and is was almost straight away.. just over betelgeuse.. less of a streak, more of a "molten drip" appearance as it broke up.. didn't catch colour unfortunately.. blink and you miss it!

Caught a couple of long streaks directly over head around 10ish too..

I saw a bright, slow meteor last night just before 10pm while out looking at what all this Starlink upset is about. It appeared just west of Arcturus and dissapeared in the handle of the Plough. So wrong trajectory for a Lyrid but the definite highlight of the session!

I also saw more polar orbiting satellites than Starlink members. It's crazy up there! 

• Like 1

Just now, Paul M said:

I saw a bright, slow meteor last night just before 10pm while out looking at what all this Starlink upset is about. It appeared just west of Arcturus and dissapeared in the handle of the Plough. So wrong trajectory for a Lyrid but the definite highlight of the session!

I also saw more polar orbiting satellites than Starlink members. It's crazy up there! 

I agree. For me, seeing an artificial satellite used to be a bit of a special event - now, thanks to Starlink, it's lost its novelty. Bit of a pity.

Last night, one of the Starlink satellites was on a different trajectory - same direction but slightly offset to the others I saw. I hadn't seen this before - usually they are all in a straight line following one another.

9 hours ago, Alan White said:

A good one last night, but could have been a sporadic one of course.
Straight through Ursa Major as I was waiting for the Starlinks to go through last night.

What's best time for starlinks sats

Didn’t see any Lyrids last night or the nights before but the skies in London have been very hazy and light polluted. Did catch a head on orange explosion though at around 1am near the Big Dipper- pretty impressive but I don’t think it was a lyrid.

I went out 12:15 to set up the camera. Back in to get the coffee pot cooking while I carried my gravity recliner out.

Back through the house to go out back for my insulated thermos I left in the car. Coming back in, scared the life out of my Grandson's girlfriend. 😂

From 12:15 till 2:30 saw 2 Lyrids which were beautifully colored. No trail, but a definite reddish orange color. Also saw two faint sporadic which did have a regular trail behind them. Only managed to capture 1 of them.

After a couple hours on the couch I got on my computer, playing cards and listening to Ozzie first, the the Stones.

Phone reminded me I had an ISS pass, so i hurried out to turn the camera.

While waiting for it I opened the observatory to look at the three morning planets. Worried it was going to be too bright to get the ISS, but it turned out it wasn't.

In that light blue sky, I also captured another meteor.

_MG_0716-meteor.JPG

_MG_1338- 3planets and meteor.JPG

_MG_1364.JPG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

My 13 year old daughter and I sat out until 1am and saw a handful. Caught one on camera using my iPhone and NightCap app. 

52868826-D448-4C47-AB8B-9E7976EED9F5.thumb.jpeg.85d38a0eba452db7dbae2b7211f85db8.jpeg

E1491A5B-59C0-44A3-BCCD-2E0B9F56678D.thumb.jpeg.4320bcea5998719833435eb4585e29ad.jpeg

763E32E3-A829-476C-8F7E-6ED46B177BAA.thumb.jpeg.a943524b63187c5ba1bbcc280725bd5c.jpeg

The advantage of no night being a school night 😉 

• Like 1

On 22/04/2020 at 19:55, Helen said:

The advantage of no night being a school night 😉 

My wife said it would be her science lesson for the day. While out we formed a hypothesis that a hot chocolate would warm us up. This was tested and proven to be correct. Education at it’s best 😉

Edited by Littleguy80
  • Haha 2